How to construct a palette for Granite?

I need a color pallet for granite, as in monuments or headstones.  How do I take a color photo, ie an image and use the colors and textures from that photo of a monument.  There is the polished color, the sandblasted color of the same granite and the rocked or rough surface of the same granite.  In short how do I take a photo of an actual monument and make those images my palette of colors?  and please I am totally non tech so begin from beginning.  Thank all of you for any help you can give me.

Edited by monument

Hello monument - welcome to the forum!

I would recommend TR's Color Reducer (and palette maker) here:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/29424-trs-color-reducer-and-palette-maker-2014-08-01/
1. Download, unzip the file and place in the 'Effects' folder - there are instructions on installing plugins here:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/1708-how-to-install-pluginsgeneral-plugin-troubleshooting-thread/

2. Re-start Pdn and open your image.
3. Run the Color Reducer plugin and move the lower left slider to the right until the 'Save Palette' button becomes active.
4. Save your Palette.
5. In the Colors window open the Palette you have just created.

Good luck! ;)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

@ Monument. Hello. :)

I'm not sure if this plugin would do what you are looking for, and I do not know if it works with Paint.NET 4.0, but you can give it a try : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/15318-palette-from-image-tool-20091111/

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

I've split this discussion out of the Color Palettes thread and into it's own.

I don't understand much of any of this, but I will have my Tech guy help me.  What I am trying to do is take a cad design as a pdf, jpeg or whatever and use the actual granite colors and texture so it closely resembles the actual monuments.  See, I can't even attached an image here for you all to look at.

Upload the image at a file hosting site (ImgUr or PhotoBucket, etc...).  Post the URL here.

Someone nice might just help you out by posting a palette from the image.

Hello again monument,

I'm not really sure what you are trying to do here - is it really just a Pdn palette that you want?... or do you want to use a photo of a granite texture to 'wrap around' a C.A.D object?

If the latter, then C.A.D programs can often import a custom texture ( a small repeating 'tile' image) and do all the shading for you. (I've only used 'google Sketch up' and that can). Not sure if I've helped or confused! :roll:

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg