Making a 2d map look cool

I'm doing a simple game for a university project and I'm going to have a map screen. Here's the raw map (well, I've split the roads/buildings/etc into new layers, and coloured it):

t_campus_map1_eg.JPG

and a few ideas that I'm playing with:

t_campus_map3d.JPG

t_3d_3.JPG

anyone got any ideas for ways to improve these (beyond the obvious touching up that needs to happen (like, don't tell me I need to stitch the backgrounds together better - I know!))

I like the idea of 3d-ifying it a little (as you can see). Any tips or shortcuts?

Any cool map effects you know of?

thanks

pdnsig.png

If anyone wants to play with it, here's the PDN (1.18Mb)

I'm not asking you to do my project for me, but, well, I'm finding it a challenging project, you might too.

If you do do anything with it, I'll either not use it, or use your ideas and techniques in my own way - I won't just use your image (and I'll credit this forum in my report in any case).

EDIT: (the actual project is wayy more than doing a map; I'm using VB.NET to write a university sim game, imagine "Theme Uni" and you're close)

pdnsig.png

thanks.

looks like a motion blur straight down in buzzkill's entry?

how did you get the depth of field, some kinda magic gradient-blur tool?

I just did a multi-stage gaussian blur gradient. I duplicated the layer twice so I had 3 of them. The I blurred the top a lot and the second one a little less. Then I used the transparent gradient tool to blend the 3 layers together.

I'm sure BoltBait or Madjik could make a "magic gradient-blur" plugin of sorts with relative ease.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. ;) -Rick Brewster

• 2 months later...