Sign in to follow this  
ShadowCries

Paint.net installer help

Hello, thank you for reading,

Today I decided to re-install paint.net, as it's my favorite free paint software, but I have been having trouble. 

So, I download the installer, run it. And after it gets done extracting files "The green text", it just closes, without any warning/errors.

I go to see if it installed, and it's nowhere on the computer. I don't know whats going on. I go to taskmanager, and I don't see TrustedInstaller, or any paint executables running. 

Edited by ShadowCries

ShadowCries, what version of Windows are you using?

A long time ago there was a bug where the installer would just disappear if you tried to run it on an old version of Windows XP ... no error, no nothing.

The latest version of Paint.NET requires Windows 7 w/ Service Pack 1, or newer (e.g. Windows 8 or 8.1). Hopefully that bug didn't come back somehow, because it's very unhelpful for it to just disappear like that.

@Pixey - I went to the link you provided, clicked on DotPDN box to download, then clicked paint.net 4.0.2. Nothing has changed.

@Rick - I'm using Windows 7 Service pack 1, here are the specs to my computer in the links below:

http://postimg.org/image/s5xgijbzl/791c462e/

http://postimg.org/image/v3m0uyv9v/

Here is what happens in this video below:

http://youtu.be/Wvuu34hV1PA

Edited by ShadowCries

What are you using to open the ZIP file that you downloaded from the website?

I just figured out an issue with someone who e-mailed me who was using WinZip 12.0, which had Windows Vista compatibility settings applied to it. This was then inherited by the Paint.NET installer that was launched from WinZip, and it detected the wrong OS version. "Windows 7 SP1 is required" ... but he certainly had Windows 7 SP1 installed!

For now, try extracting the EXE from the ZIP and running it from there, instead of double-clicking the EXE from within the ZIP program. I should also be able to fix this so it doesn't require head scratching and psychic guessing in the future (oh the joy of manifests)

Once the EXE is extracted, it won't be inheriting any compatibility settings from the parent program (the ZIP extractor).

You can go check the Event Log to see if there's a listing for an application crash. 

1. Go to Start and type eventvwr and press enter. 

2. On the left side will be a tree. The root node is "Event Viewer (Local)" and then underneath is one called "Windows Logs". Click to expand it.

3. Click on "Application"

4. The right (middle?) pane will fille with a list of events. It has several columns: Level, Date & Time, Source, etc. You want to find an "Error" with a red bang "!" symbol. "Source" will be "Application error" and the contents below will fill with something like ...

Faulting application name: PaintDotNet.exe, version: 4.1.5303.42216, time stamp: 0x53bdd676
Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.0.30319.34014, time stamp: 0x52e0b86c
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x00000000000b9ab7
Faulting process id: 0x42f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf9bd1477db65f
Faulting application path: D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\bin\Release\PaintDotNet.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Report Id: 8b891efa-07c4-11e4-bef7-40167e364924
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Also, if you go to %TEMP%\PdnSetup (on my system it's C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\Temp), there should be the following files: PdnMsiInstall.log, pdnSetupNgenInstall.log, and pdnSetupShim.log. If any of those exist, please attach them (or copy/paste their contents) here.

@David - I tried to open the ZIP file with explorer, extracting, running the executable, still no changes.

@Rick -  I went to event viewer/windows logs/applications and clicked on Source as the filter, there was only one mentioned application error, not having anything to do with paint. (picture below)

http://postimg.org/image/jeqr8txtb/

I also went to the TEMP directory you stated above, and to my shock, nothing is there! (image below)

http://postimg.org/image/pqaj4m90b/

Could there be a issue with my hateful antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials? Also I have had trouble with Net-Framework in the past, could that be the issue?

I could only find pdnSetupShim.log, here you go.

--- paint.net SetupShim starting, lpCmdLine='/suppressReboot', nCmdShow=10

CoInitialize(NULL) returned 0
Checking OS requirement
    bIsWin7SP1 = true
    bResult = true
EnsureOSRequirement() returned 0
Called EnsureTrustedInstallerIsEnabledAsync()
Checking .NET requirement
    bIsNetfx45Installed = true
    bIsSupportedNetfxInstalled = true
    bIsNetfxInstallerPresent = true
PreInstallPrompt() returned true
InstallNetfx() returned 0
Launching paint.net installer. bRebootRequired=false
Done. nReturnVal=-2147024770
Sleep(1000)
--- Exiting, nReturnVal=8007007e

Launching paint.net installer. bRebootRequired=false
Done. nReturnVal=-2147024770

--- Exiting, nReturnVal=8007007e

From a quick search, 8007007E means File Not Found or Module Not Found. Basically it means that .NET itself (which Paint.NET sits "on top of") can't find some DLL apparently and it's not even running the Paint.NET installer.

My guess (hope?) is that your .NET Framework installation is broken/corrupt somehow.

Try going to the "Programs and Features" control panel (used to be called Add/Remove Programs back in XP) and find Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 in the list. It may also say 4.5.1 or 4.5.2 instead of just 4.5.

If it says 4.5 or 4.5.1, then I recommend that you first install the 4.5.2 update (from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42643 ) and then try running the Paint.NET installer again.

If that doesn't work, then go back to the Programs & Features control panel and find Microsoft .NET Framework again, click on it, then click on the "Uninstall / Change" button above, and then choose to do a Repair.

Also, make sure that you've got alllllll the Windows Updates installed. (you might try this first in fact)

If that doesn't work, the next thing I'd try is to use something called SFC. To do this, 1) open up an administrator command prompt, 2) run "sfc /scannow" (without quotes). You may have a missing or corrupt Windows DLL (e.g. something stashed in system32).