Color Replace Plug-in: Color selection

I’m trying to use Jesse Chunn’s Color Replace plug-in to replace a white background with a transparent one. I have tried many settings in the plug-in, but have been unsuccessful. It would seem to me that setting each of the channels to 255 with a tolerance range of 0 would select white, but it seems to select all pixels, i.e., the entire image turns transparent.

I hope Jesse Chunn is still on the forum and can answer this question directly.

Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Hi Jim - in the meantime here is a thread which may be of interest to you here.  Also, you can use the magic wand - click on the white area to get rid of and hit delete on your computer :)  Play with the tolerance level until only the white is selected.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

You may want to try the Isolate Lineart Plugin and see if that helps you at all. It takes all of the white out of the image but leaves behind any dark areas. It's best when used for line art, but as I don't know what you're dealing with, it's worth a try!

@kasadia - your link is not working in your post, so I have re-linked it here .  Whilst it will remove the background it will also alter the image as well though.

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

@kasadia - your link is not working in your post, so I have re-linked it here .  Whilst it will remove the background it will also alter the image as well though.

Thank you for fixing that for me! I must have formatted it wrong on mistake. 

JLuF0tS.png

Hi Jim - in the meantime here is a thread which may be of interest to you here.  Also, you can use the magic wand - click on the white area to get rid of and hit delete on your computer :)  Play with the tolerance level until only the white is selected.

Pixey, Again thanks. My specific issue is that my image is anti-aliased and using the magic wand leaves too many semi-transparent pixels (or, doesn't select enough of them, depending on tolerance) around the edges, so my edited image has jaggies or a halo around it. That's why I thought something where I could adjust the alpha channel selection would work better. And BTW, I'm way over my head in what I just said as I really don't understand the way color and alpha work in the selection process. :)

Okay ...... then why don't you try this method here .  This way your image will be preserved and the background gone.  Then don't forget to Feather and also AA'S Assistant - which are great for jaggies.  Both of those should, I think, be standard Plugins with Paint.NET.  If not, you can look for them in the Plugin section here .

Good luck and post back if you need more assistance :) .

30b8T8B.gif