How to stop mouse from scrolling when I reach the edge of the screen?

Mkay so, my paint.net updated recently, and now everytime I get anywhere near the edge of the screen suddenly my page rockets away from my work to the very edge. Then I try to go back and I find myself staring at the other edge and this is driving me crazy.

I have searched deligently for a way to disable this, used the help button, looked at the update list, and used the search bar in the top corner of the forums. No luck.

Suggestions? I'd prefer not to undertake the hunt for an older version but I'll do whatever I have to to make it stop.

Can you describe precisely what you're doing when this happens? Are you drawing with the brush or something?

I think you're describing the behavior that happens when the mouse button is down and you then move the mouse to the edge of the window. It will automatically scroll. This is exactly how 3.5 behaved, btw, so I'm not really sure what the problem is here?

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I'm not sure if what you are describing is the same as what I sometimes experience, but, sometimes when I suddenly grab a scroll bar and very quickly scroll it to the opposite end of where it is, all the way to when it hits the other end point, it "bounces" back to where I was trying to scroll it from.

However, this is not just a Paint.NET behavior, I have had this with any and all things that use scroll bars, such as web browsers. I admit, some scroll bars seem to do it more than others, such as the layers window in Paint.NET, but I just have to make sure I click good and drag more slowly.

Can you describe precisely what you're doing when this happens? Are you drawing with the brush or something?

I think you're describing the behavior that happens when the mouse button is down and you then move the mouse to the edge of the window. It will automatically scroll. This is exactly how 3.5 behaved, btw, so I'm not really sure what the problem is here?

It mainly happens with the magic wand. Once I have something selected it becomes very sensative to the edge of the screen. Often I'll just be trying to go up to change the tolerance (so I can add more things via Add [union]) and it'll just start scrolling all over the place.

I think I can repro his problem, It's caused by low performance and laggy mouse event handling. It would be exacerbated by slower selection drawing or flood-filling logic. Here is a simpler approach which even if it doesnt work for you should illustrate the problem:

1. Move the mouse to the very top of the image, say, 3 screen pixels from the top. Enable the magic wand tool.

2. Click and release the left mouse button to use the magic wand...

3. Now, very quickly!! Move the mouse cursor up above the ruler. The window will begin scrolling upwards, since the MouseUp is processed with the wrong mouse coords, or something like that. Since the processing of the MouseUp is delayed by the slow floodfill-selection and/or selection rendering, you have time to get the cursor up above the ruler.

I think I can repro his problem, It's caused by low performance and laggy mouse event handling. It would be exacerbated by slower selection drawing or flood-filling logic. Here is a simpler approach which even if it doesnt work for you should illustrate the problem:

1. Move the mouse to the very top of the image, say, 3 screen pixels from the top. Enable the magic wand tool.

2. Click and release the left mouse button to use the magic wand...

3. Now, very quickly!! Move the mouse cursor up above the ruler. The window will begin scrolling upwards, since the MouseUp is processed with the wrong mouse coords, or something like that. Since the processing of the MouseUp is delayed by the slow floodfill-selection and/or selection rendering, you have time to get the cursor up above the ruler.

Is... there a way to just plain disable the mouse scrolling in general? When I'm in the middle of a project I have a hard time pausing and thinking of crazy elaborate maneuvers to avoid software quirks... (Kind of like if you were digging a hole and had to remember that every prime number must be proceeded with three taps on the left side of the shovel and an about-face spin followed by a moonwalk. It would kinda ruin your flow).

I doubt it. That would be an unusual feature, and this program has an unusually low number of options. I'm confident this is a bug, so a discussion of how to disable that feature would have a short shelf life anyway, hopefully.  But in case someone likes making it a hotkey, maybe it could obey the scroll lock key, which could be loosely defined as 'prevents things from automatically scrolling' and would therefore apply in this case.

• 8 months later...

...instead of assuming that the programmer knows better than the user.

How very tactless.  And its your first post too :(

Rick is the Developer and programmer.  He makes the decisions, and yes he generally does know better than the user.  Trust me on that.

You'll find that around here we support and encourage constructive criticism and dialogue.  Your sort of comment is not helpful and not adding to the conversation.  How about helping pin down the cause?  Why not post your system specs for example (Settings > Diagnostics)?  Tried updating your video drivers recently?  Did that help?

• Upvote 2

• 5 years later...
24 minutes ago, one-bad-meme said:

I'm having this same issue 6 years later

Please don't reply to these very old forum topics.

Scrolling of the canvas has changed a bit in the past 6 years (especially with overscroll).

Please open a new topic, and describe your issue in detail. Thanks.

Locked.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab