Using multiply with layers

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to layer an image onto a certain area of my background. My background is an instrument surrounded by black. I am trying to layer another image onto this background with multiply. When I do this parts of my layer go onto the black in the background when I only want them on my instrument. I don't know how to make sure a layer only goes onto a certain area of my background. Please help. I am trying to get an image like this. Where the layers are limited to a certain area on the background.

post-136957-0-57043800-1405038252_thumb.

It’s tough to understand what you are asking. If you’ve already deleted what you want on the gun, then it will be impossible to do – right?

But, for arguments sake, if you want a pattern to go over the hand grip, like this:

http://i.imgur.com/8L462eY.png

1. Import your gun image and then on a new layer use the line tool draw around the grip exactly.
2. Import the new design you want to add to the grip and resize it until you are happy with the pattern size for that area.
3. Move back to the line curve layer and use the magic wand on the inside of the lines, invert selection and then move back to the layer with the new design and hit ‘delete’ on your computer.
4. Delete the line curve layer and there you have it.
5. Play with the layer blending mode to get a nice finish and then you can flatten.

http://i.imgur.com/fbNbAO5.png

I hope this is of some help ;)

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

You can try changing the Magic Wand's sampling mode to Image (by default it only looks at the current layer).

Well - I never noticed this new function ..... I learned something new and thank you :)

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.