multiple images - side by side

Is there a way to possibly view two different photos side by side in paint.net 3?

This is because I need to make a 'collage' of photos to make a bigger picture.

In 2.72 I simply opened the program multiple times (though it wasn't great for memory efficiency ;) ). The new multi-tab thing is great, but It's not what i need.

thanks in advance.

Registered Gnu/Linux user 426057

realtech.png

*sigh*. No offence, but if you had bothered to actually read my post with even a small amount of attention then you would of realised that I wasn't looking to open it multiple times, but to put two or more images side by side, and that that was the how I did it with v2, though it was hardly ideal.

So can I have a straight answers: is it possible to compare two images side by side with whatever method in v3?

realtech.png

is it possible to compare two images side by side with whatever method in v3?

Not using Paint.NET.

However, here are some alternatives:

In explorer, right-click Preview an image in one window, open the other in Paint.NET. Arrange the windows side-by-side.

Or, if all you REALLY want to do is compare images, open each on a different layer, change the top layer's blending mode to XOR. Where the images are the same it will show black, where they differ it will show color.

Hope this helps.

I wasn't referring to photoshop, but ok.

IMO the best interface is the GIMPs, it's easy to navigate, and the 'wierd' Single document interface is much better than having a multi document interface like photoshop. Or pnet for that matter.

realtech.png

Well, I guess that makes 1 vote for GIMP's MDI, countless votes for Photoshop's MDI, and countless votes for Paint.NET's. (Seriously, all I ever read online about GIMP's interface is how much people hate it!)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

GIMP has an SDI ;)

That's simply because they are used to MDIs, and especially people that have photoshop, then try GIMP would find it very strange to use, however people that use GIMP for an extended amount of time will come to terms with it and find it very useful. It's a bit like the gnu emacs debate.

Anyway, this is the pnet forums, lets stop going off topic. Closing this topic would be one way ;)

realtech.png

GIMP has an SDI ;)

That's simply because they are used to MDIs, and especially people that have photoshop, then try GIMP would find it very strange to use, however people that use GIMP for an extended amount of time will come to terms with it and find it very useful. It's a bit like the gnu emacs debate.

Anyway, this is the pnet forums, lets stop going off topic. Closing this topic would be one way ;)

Or make a new tread discussing the pros, and cons of deferent image software.

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

• 10 years later...

I totally back FiNGOLFiN's request. Either by opening multiple instances, or by opening multiple views next to each other.

My current reason is that I am adjusting multiple pictures and I want to be able to compare the white balance as DIRECTLY as possible. Not by opening an instance of some other program, but by using the very SAME program twice, or WITHIN the very same program.

It isn't that odd.

It is a pity that a program like Paint.net tries to be 'clever' by RESTRICTING me to use it multiple times. PLEASE do not bother, let ME decide what I need!

So I would appreciate if either that that restriction is lifted (the most simple AND versatile solution)  or that multiple (side by side) views are built in.

Thread is ten years old. If you wish to restart this conversation please start a new thread. Thanks.