Does the Paintbrush tool seem lighter to you?

definitely i think it has to do with the new AA
before when i click using say width 2 i get black in the middle
now its just grey
this is what happens when i apply brush exactly in between the grid the red line is for when i clicked down and used right arrow to draw a "straight"  line

kCYcAOo.png

in 4.0 the line is wobbly and dot is not black}
in 3.5.11 line is straight and dot is almost black

Edited by needforsuv

For the pixel grid, wouldn't I have to be zoomed in ridiculously far for me to be totally accurate with it? The grid only even appears at 300%+ zoom and to be accurate with it, it would need to be at probably 500% or more. While I appreciate the suggestion Fuzzy, it does seem a bit impractical in my case.

Needforsuv, that's pretty much exactly what I mean

i can not replicate the dot result in 4.0 in any way
however doing the same test but in the middle of a pixel 3.5.11 seems to give a solid black with a bit of wobbling compared to more wobble and less black in 4.0
regardless of hardness 4.0 seems to be more willing to colour pixels not in the brush's circle thing

Edited by needforsuv

i can not replicate the dot result in 4.0 in any way

however doing the same test but in the middle of a pixel 3.5.11 seems to give a solid black with a bit of wobbling compared to more wobble and less black in 4.0

regardless of hardness 4.0 seems to be more willing to colour pixels not in the brush's circle thing

This.

I'm going to have to find an unofficial 3.5.x download at this point. So bummed out because I love paint.NET.

So I guess I'll just leave the issue for now? There's absolutely nothing more I could do?

If that's the case, is there a forum for requests or suggestions? There probably is and it's probably in a very obvious spot, but is there a specific one that I should use?

This is the forum for requests and suggestions.  :)  Rick (the developer) reads nearly every post on this board.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

So I guess I'll just leave the issue for now? There's absolutely nothing more I could do?

I would say no. From my point of interpreting the effects there are two big differences between 3.5.11 and 4.0.1

First the filling of the brush shape (both versions respect antialiasing at the shape border)

3.5.11  filled the whole shape with the selected color

4.0.1   The center uses the selected color and the 'Hardness' parameter defines how much the color will be softer

in direction to the border. Setting 'Hardness' to 100% produces the same result as 3.5.11

If you just do one click to the image you can compare the results.

Second the spacing. Spacing defines how often the brush is drawn if you are moving the cursor.

3.5.11 There was no spacing: Each move of the mouse forced a drawing of the brush. I'm not sure but it may be even worse

because the resolution of the mouse may be higher than the screen. A typical laser mouse produces 1000dpi.

So on the screen the cursor jumps one pixel but you may get 10 times a subpixel information.

4.0.1   I guess Rick mentioned once that the spacing is fixed to 15% of the width

So IMHO a solution would be that Paint.NET allows the user to control 'spacing'. Setting 'hardness' to 100% and 'spacing' to a quite low value (maybe 0%) should allow you to get the result you are expecting.

BTW: if Antialiasing is off then the 'hardness' control should be disabled IMHO because the value is not used?!

midoras signature.gif

Well that's genuinely disappointing...

I guess my "official" suggestion would be to allow the user to control the spacing then! I mean, it's a neat feature but there's surely a few more people aside from me that would appreciate it if we were able to actually control the spacing. Or at the very least, turn it on or off as we see fit.

The spacing only took me a week to get used to and automatically compensate for when painting. So if you practice enough you should get used to it and stop having a problem with it.  Also Rick already said in another thread he had the idea of making it adjustable eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went back to 3.X

Then had to clean my pc of spyware.

Well, the spyware didn't come from Paint.NET...

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.