Brush width 3 draws as width 2 when antialiasing is off, and two other bugs

bleh

The new version of Paint.net really is a triumph in its own successions but for the moment is simply broken to me. Not only do the new features impede my work, but they also dramatically reduce the blazing speeds of the previous version's already existing features, such as box selection and saving, though this is partially my own fault (my laptop is nearing its sixth year of age).

There are three hideous discrepancies in this new version that hinder my ability to do what I love, and so I list them here so that they may be repaired in a future update:

1. When using the brush tool on the canvas when antialiasing is disabled, width three renders as width two.
  2. Sections of the canvas erased by the eraser are selectable as seperate entities even when the canvas is transparent. In other words, the eraser tool functions like the brush tool with only one color that contradicts all the others.
  3. Courier, a naturally aliased font face, no longer appears in the font list. There may be others missing but I have not bothered to compare the extensive font lists between the previous version and this one.

In the meantime between these annoyances being rubbed out and now, I will revert to the last working iteration of the program as this one is (to put it lightly) unusable.

Attached is an image of the bugs I am referencing.

post-136764-0-09741700-1404167332_thumb.

Good day to you all.

EDIT: Actually, it seems there is no legitimate way to reacquire the old version.

Edited by bleh

1.  I'm not at a PC with Paint.NET installed right now - so I cannot comment on this bug.

2. The Eraser sets the Alpha channel to zero.  It does not remove the color information.  This is why you can still select the area - despite it appearing to be the same. For example RGBA 255,255,255,0 is not the same as 128,128,128,0 but it  looks the same due to the alpha value.

3. Paint.NET does not install or remove fonts.  It uses fonts you have installed on your system.   If Courier is missing then it's missing from your system, or perhaps corrupt.  It's not because of anything Paint.NET 4.0 has done.

Thanks for the report and the image - it does make it so much easier!

With respect to Courier: bitmap fonts are simply no longer supported. This is because DirectWrite doesn't support them. In fact, bitmap fonts are pretty much completely deprecated in Windows programming now :( It is not a configuration problem with your system, nor is it a bug in paint.net.

Try using Courier New and disabling antialiasing.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

1.  I'm not at a PC with Paint.NET installed right now - so I cannot comment on this bug.

2. The Eraser sets the Alpha channel to zero.  It does not remove the color information.  This is why you can still select the area - despite it appearing to be the same. For example RGBA 255,255,255,0 is not the same as 128,128,128,0 but it  looks the same due to the alpha value.

3. Paint.NET does not install or remove fonts.  It uses fonts you have installed on your system.   If Courier is missing then it's missing from your system, or perhaps corrupt.  It's not because of anything Paint.NET 4.0 has done.

Thanks for the report and the image - it does make it so much easier!

Thank you for the quick response, sir.

It is a shame that the two issues that affect me the most have little to no solutions behind them thus far--one and three--but do you know of a way I can find installers for version 3.5.11? As much as I like the new features behind this new update, I find the inconveniences a detriment to what I do for a living, and a way to return to the last version would be a great help (especially since I have no better alternative editors). The websites that offer downloads for prior updates appear less than trustworthy with reports of malware and, naturally, I'd like to avoid any of that if at all possible. (If it matters at all, no, I do not keep old installers because I like to keep my Downloads folder clean.)

With respect to Courier: bitmap fonts are simply no longer supported. This is because DirectWrite doesn't support them. In fact, bitmap fonts are pretty much completely deprecated in Windows programming now :( It is not a configuration problem with your system, nor is it a bug in paint.net.

Try using Courier New and disabling antialiasing.

Apologies for the second consecutive post, I know not how to edit in a second quote after posting a reply to the first and I felt it would be impolite to ignore the response entirely.

I appreciate the reply regarding the most unfortunate incompatibility, and in tandem the advice. It is most unappealing news to me, but can make do without it. It will be missed.

I'd like to encourage you to stick with 4.0 and give it a go.  If you really, really want to regress to 3.5.11 then I'd suggest installing it side-by-side with 4.0.

Here's a guide, in your case you're reversing the installation, but you should get the idea: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27227-paintnet-40-alpha-build-5034/?p=399792

For the selection issue, you could try to play with the selection tolerance to see if that helps, or use the lasso select tool to clean up missed areas.

Edit:

I had an idea for your font. Have you tried to look for a font converter? There are lots of places to convert picture formats, music formats, and movie formats, so maybe there is a place that can convert font formats.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Here is how brush width works with Antialising Disabled in 4.0:

Brush width 1: Brush is 1 pixel

Brush width 2: Brush is a 2 x 2 pixel square.

Brush width 3: Same as brush width 2

Brush width 4: Brush is a 4 x 4 pixel square minus the four corner pixels.

Brush width 5: Brush is a 4 x 4 pixel square

Brush width 6: Brush is a 6 x 6 pixel square, minus the four corner pixels

Brush width 7: Same as brush width 6

Brush width 8: Brush is a “circle” that is 8 pixels wide

Brush width 9: Brush is a 8 x 8 pixel square, minus the four corner pixels

Brush width 10: Brush is a “circle” that is 10 pixels wide

Brush width 11: Brush is different “circle” that is 10 pixels wide

So it is impossible to draw with a brush that is 3, 5, 7, 9 or 11 pixels wide. And there are two identical brushes. Not sure if these issues are bugs, but it is unfortunate.

Edited by Thorsby