Frequent laptop lock-ups for a few seconds (most noticeable while using Paint.NET.)

MTX1996

Hello.

I have decided to recently install Paint.NET onto my school laptop so I can work on my pixel-art on the go.

However, I seem to be having a small but VERY annoying problem.

You see, while I am using Paint.NET, every minute or so, my laptop will lock-up for a few seconds.

Now let me note that this does not mess with my picture any, but it happens so often that is becomes and extreme nuisance.  I have tried using /chkdsk /f, as well as an anti-virus (Norton to be exact) and CCleaner.  However, it doesn't seem to help any.

If you need my computer's specs to help me, I will be more than happy to post them.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

Beginner pixel-artist,

~Matt

P.S.  I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong section, but I am new here to the forums and I wasn't sure if I should put this message in the discussion forums or troubleshooting forums.

"If we were to play SkyBlock in hardcore, Trevor would die in the first 5 minutes!  We would live until we die of old age!" ~rball99

Application paint.net 4.0 (Final 4.0.5288.36565)

Build Date Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Hardware accelerated rendering (GPU) False

Animations True

Language en-US

OS Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601.65536)

.NET Runtime 4.0.30319.18444

Physical Memory 2,933 MB

CPU Intel® Core i3 CPU       M 330  @ 2.13GHz

Architecture x86 (32-bit)

Process Mode 32-bit

Speed ~2128 MHz

Cores / Threads 4

Features DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4_1, SSE4_2

Video Card Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD

Dedicated Video RAM 64 MB

Dedicated System RAM 0 MB

Shared System RAM 1,210 MB

Vendor ID 0x8086

Device ID 0x0046

Subsystem ID 0x20411B0A

Revision 18

LUID 0x0000C3B9

Flags None

Outputs 1

"If we were to play SkyBlock in hardcore, Trevor would die in the first 5 minutes!  We would live until we die of old age!" ~rball99

So I guess that means that there's not a lot you can do to help me with the problem i'm having?

M.R may be on the right side. So check your memory usage (Control+Shift+Escape). If the system has to swap regulary the user experience will be bad. If this is the case then reduce the number of processes or add more memory if possible.

midoras signature.gif

You sure you're not running too many things in the background?

The only thing I have got running in the background are Norton anti-virus, Weatherbug, Dropbox, and Rollback Rx.

I cannot close out Dropbox because that's where my images are saved and loaded at, Rollback Rx and Norton I cannot close at all, and Weatherbug... well, I guess I could close that out, but I doubt that would help any.

M.R may be on the right side. So check your memory usage (Control+Shift+Escape). If the system has to swap regulary the user experience will be bad. If this is the case then reduce the number of processes or add more memory if possible.

I checked the amount of memory it's using once it started locking up, and it turns out that the system is only using up about 56,000 K of memory.

Sadly, I don't think I will be able to add more memory.  I'm not sure if my school would allow me to modify the laptop in such a way.