paint.net 4.0 is now available!

I am pleased if you can help me. Thank you.

Should I just uninstall version 3.5.11 plugins, or simply upgrade.

My System requirements:

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Prozessor: Intel® Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30 GHz 2,30 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB

System type: 64-bit Operating System

Pan and Touch: No Pen or Touch Input is available for this Display

Edited by Seerose

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Hello, new member here  :)

I'm an occasional paint.net user and today I noticed the new version so I downloaded it and trying it out doing some random stuff.

Actually I'm having a few issues with the gradient tool but I'm not sure if it's a bug, an intentional change or I'm just missing an option.

When using the transparency mode, the right click doesn't work anymore as a "reversed" left click.

Let me explain, for instance using radial blending mode : when pressing left click and dragging, the center of the radial keeps 100% opacity then it fade to 0% till the outer limit.

When using right click, it works the opposite :  the center of the radial is at 0% opacity and is fading to 100% till the outer limit.

Now both left and right clicks works the same, I tried to use some combo like shift control or alt key + either left or right click but I can't find a way to make it work like in the older version.

So any clue about this ?

Thanks in advance  :)

Edited by gamuci

Seerose, no need to uninstall anything. The old version of the program will be automatically deleted & replaced with the newer one. You will need to get some updated versions of the 4.0 plugins. Your computer will ask you if you want to replace the files etc. Just say yes & you should be ok.

Gamuci, is this relating to transparent gradients? There is a thread that deals with that. You can do a search for it. Or maybe some other kindly soul will point you in the right direction. :D

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Gamuci, is this relating to transparent gradients? There is a thread that deals with that. You can do a search for it. Or maybe some other kindly soul will point you in the right direction. :D

Well yes it's about this. My bad if there's a thread already about that, I searched the forum before posting and found nothing. Gonna check again then  :)

Edit : Ok found the answer after a few more searches  :D

Both primary and secondary colors needs opacity at 0 to perform an inverted gradient. But in that case both left and right click does the inverted gradient.

Is there a way to get the normal gradient on left click and reverted on the right ?

Edited by gamuci

It's been an interesting journey for me since 2007, where I abandon "PSP 12" and started to use paint.net 3.10 .. and now here we are at 4.0 ... Thanks for keeping up the good work.

A suggestion, which might shouldn't be here, is if you could split the "plugins" topics in two, one for 3.x and one for 4.x ... it would make it so much easier to find plugins which been updated to work in 4.x

Seerose, no need to uninstall anything. The old version of the program will be automatically deleted & replaced with the newer one. You will need to get some updated versions of the 4.0 plugins. Your computer will ask you if you want to replace the files etc. Just say yes & you should be ok.

@ Many many thanks barbieq25 5woxp8ak.gif

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Effects Lab seems to be part of Curtis`s Plugin Pack, last updated for PDN 3.5.4 according to the title of his thread. So I would not be surprised if it was not compatible with v4.0.

--  I have still have copies of all my 3.5.11 plugins so I tried Curtis`s and in the PDN4 settings they came up as a error so that confirms it. A real shame because I made extensive use of his Rounded Rectangle plugin which also is no longer compatible. Guess we`ll just have to wait and hope his pack is updated. :roll:

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Why has Effects Lab gone ? I used to rely on that for searching the plugins on my comp. :/

Effects Lab seems to be part of Curtis`s Plugin Pack, last updated for PDN 3.5.4 according to the title of his thread. So I would not be surprised if it was not compatible with v4.0.

--  I have still have copies of all my 3.5.11 plugins so I tried Curtis`s and in the PDN4 settings they came up as a error so that confirms it. A real shame because I made extensive use of his Rounded Rectangle plugin which also is no longer compatible. Guess we`ll just have to wait and hope his pack is updated. :roll:

That's odd. While Curtis's common dll error comes up on my PDN, some of his plugins still work for me, including rounded rectangle and Effects Lab.

What does NOT work for me are:

Blur Map

Displacement Map

Channel Mask

Equations (I think, it says the type PaintDotNet.IIsDisposed is defined in an assembly that is not referenced, but doesn't actually crash.)

These are in the list of incompatible plugins:  http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27661-incompatible-plugins-an-incomplete-list-updated-for-405268/

Equations appeared to be working for me.  Where are you seeing this error message?

These are in the list of incompatible plugins:  http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27661-incompatible-plugins-an-incomplete-list-updated-for-405268/

Equations appeared to be working for me.  Where are you seeing this error message?

Oops, I'm probably just using the plugin wrong then, I don't use it very often. My apologies. I get the message within the plugin itself, underneath the box to insert the equation.

Oh right.  That rings a bell now that you mention it.  I've not included it in that list because it still works (despite the message).  Please let me know if I need to change my assumption here :D

hello:)

help..I use paint every single day for the past 3 yrs?...anyway...today it upgraded to the new.

While Im fine with that, I notice some things missing as well, and one is a feature I use a lot...the smudge

I attempted to just dl a smudge...but for some reason , and its a new one, its not where it should be nor can I find it.

Is there a way to just get my smudge back in tools where it was before?

also reading thru all I can here to see what I may have down wrong...i didnt see a place that said to save any files....when the dl was going on

now Im afraid Ive lost more than just smudge, a lot seems to be gone.

what happens to the dl's that will no longer work with the new version?

sorry for so many questions, even tho I use paint a lot, Im not the smartest when it comes to this side of it

and now paint bucket wont fill any longer:(  

Edited by Charm

Charm, Smudge is a plugin. You probably had an old version installed which is no longer compatible with paint.net. Just go download the newest version from the Plugins section of the forum.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

That's odd. While Curtis's common dll error comes up on my PDN, some of his plugins still work for me, including rounded rectangle and Effects Lab.

What does NOT work for me are:

Blur Map

Displacement Map

Channel Mask

Equations (I think, it says the type PaintDotNet.IIsDisposed is defined in an assembly that is not referenced, but doesn't actually crash.)

Just had another try with Curtis`s plugin pack and this time Rounded Rectangle seems to be working fine and Effects Lab is now listed although I have not tried it out.

Just like you minty Blur Map, Displacement Map, Channel Mask and Equations do not work although as I don`t recall ever using them I am not too bothered. The main thing I wanted was RR .

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Hiya, long time user, second time poster.

I just want to first congratulate the PdN team on releasing this version, I have a total of ten minutes in it but it looks and feels spectacular. Great work as always!

I do have one small reservation though. It's about moving the zoom buttons to the bottom right. I understand why this would be done, but I'm not sure I understand why it would be removed from the toolbar also without giving an option to add or remove it. It's kind of in an inopportune place now- nowhere near the default position of the tools window or any of the other option, on the opposite side of the screen in fact, and in the corner in which every Steam/Skype/etc notification pops up, covering it. I've trained myself over the years to have it readily accessible next to the other tools and options, but now it's kind of out of the way and a pain to have to deal with. Is there any possibility that it could be added in the new settings options to put the old zoom buttons back onto the toolbar, or an option I'm missing already? Thanks.

And again, awesome work.

Edited by DetectiveP
  • Upvote 1

Just had another try with Curtis`s plugin pack and this time Rounded Rectangle seems to be working fine and Effects Lab is now listed although I have not tried it out.

Just like you minty Blur Map, Displacement Map, Channel Mask and Equations do not work although as I don`t recall ever using them I am not too bothered. The main thing I wanted was RR .

I just re installed the curtis black plugins and although I have a load error of CurtisBlack.Common.dll I do have effects lab back and working :)

swIFX9v.png

Hey there! Been using this program for quite a while now, and I'm loving the new update! Well done on everyone who helped make Paint.net 4.0 a reality! Just one gripe though: Is there any way to change the new drawing tools mouse handling thing back to the old style? I mean, it's nice, but sometimes I just want to see what pixels I'm erasing as I'm erasing them. Besides that, I'm loving it!

What I am experiencing is the following change:

• Drawing tools (Pencil, Paintbrush, Eraser, Clone Stamp, Recolor) now have much smoother mouse input handling via GetMouseMovePointsEx.

It's good for some stuff, but it's it's just plain annoying when you want to edit fine details. A way to turn it on/off would be really nice.

I see. Would turning off the Hardware Acceleration Rendering (GPU) help with that? (it's found in Paint.NET's settings, the gear icon in the top upper right corner of paint.net.)

If not, then maybe using the arrow keys while holding down the mouse button might help in some cases, as it moves things pixel by pixel.

Sorry, I'm not a techy, so my suggestions are limited.

I hope you can figure something out, good luck. :)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

MBI, by any chance is your issue actually similar to my painting tools issue? I didn't mention my tools issue earlier because so far I haven’t noticed anyone else report it, so I doubted it was your issue. If it interests you though, you can see here how the painting tools behave for me : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27976-circumference-of-tools-the-edge-of-the-paint/

I'm not a power user by any means, but I have one thing I use paint.net for regularly.  And one of the things I find helpful is to be immediately able to switch the magnification I'm using, and fairly dramatically.  Say, looking at something at 200% to do some fine detail work and then zooming out to 66% to get the whole scope of the image and then back.  Used to be, there was a handy little thing on the menu bar that I could click on and type in what percentage I wanted to view it at, hit enter, and it did it.  That seems to have disappeared with 4.0, and I want to know if there's any way to get it back.  I mean, of course you can still switch magnification by going ctrl ++, but it's a lot clunkier.  You have to do it several times to get to where I want it to be.  And even using the "view" menu, you can't tell it what percent, you can only zoom in and out.  Help!

(This cannot have been a plug-in function, because until I noticed that had changed with the newest version and started poking around the forum, I didn't even know paint.net had plug-ins available.)

Other than this one annoyance, though, I do like the upgrade.  Things are generally sleeker and faster and one or two minor annoyances I had just disappeared.  (I just wish you hadn't introduced a new one to replace it!)