Zoom 2D Control

I was always missing a IndirectUi control for zooming. Typically if you like to allow the user a 2d zoom you provide two sliders and maybe a checkbox which triggers a rule to keep the sliders in sync.

But compared to the angle or the pan control there was a symbol missing which allows the user to change the values more intuitive. So I thought I will give it a try. Here is an example how it may look like compared to angle control.

OptionDoubleVectorSlider.jpg

What do you think? Is the control intuitive or is there an other idea out there to handle the 2d zoom case?

(It's much easier to find a good symbol for the 1d case...)

In the screenshot above the sliders are kept in sync, which means for the control that you could move the nub in the center just on the diagonal from bottom/left (small) to top/right (large).

The sliders are exponential. Means 2^0 is in the center.

Here an older variant:

OptionDoubleVectorSliderVariant.jpg

For me this one looks more that you are just able to double the size.

Edited by midora

midoras signature.gif

To me it seems a good idea. 

How about applying this concept to Move Selected Pixels tool (with preserve the aspect ratio)? 100% - 75% - 50% - 25%

Of course we can press the Shift key, but using such a concept it becomes faster and more accurately.

How about applying this concept to Move Selected Pixels tool (with preserve the aspect ratio)? 100% - 75% - 50% - 25%

Of course we can press the Shift key, but using such a concept it becomes faster and more accurately.

I'm not sure how to incooperate this to a canvas tool. The IndirectUI controls are a little bit large to do it, or?

Here is the current evolution

OptionDoubleVectorSliderVariant2.jpg

This is now more in the way you are used to to size an object (Dragging from top-left to bottom-down).

midoras signature.gif

My thoughts

yhsjjie-1164.png

Lock icon to indicate the sliders are locked together.

Resize has a + icon and a dotted line to to indicate resizing potential.

My thoughts

Lock icon to indicate the sliders are locked together.

Resize has a + icon and a dotted line to to indicate resizing potential.

You are right the lock symbol is not the best solution. It's a checkbox which shows a vertical bar if the lines are connected (or nothing).

It tried to keep in the middle and the right of the control standard OS elements. Like currently done in IndirectUI.

The symbol on the left is realy not so easy. It must be easy to recognize in different states (Normal, Hovered, Selected, and Disabled).

In general I prefer the more abstract ones typically used in pictograms. The angle chooser is a good example. There is one control I do not like in Paint.NET. That's the anchor element used in canvas size dialog (or in the PrintIt Effect-Watermark). I have to replace it with something more abstract.

OptionDoubleVectorSliderVariant3.jpg

midoras signature.gif