Sign in to follow this  
david.atwell

World Cup Central

Ahhh. Sorry for misunderstanding.  :D

Just seen the Dutch clock up their 3rd win. So far I think they have outshone every other team - including Germany.  If I were a Man Utd fan I would be drooling at the thought of Van Haal in charge next season, and as an Arsenal fan I am dreading it!  

Cooked officiating? Never heard it called that before but I think it's a great way of putting it and I know exactly what you mean.

Shame the USA could not hold on for the win against Portugal.I still think they will get through though.

I meant Brazil getting favorable whistles like they did in their first game.

Yeah, but I am very encouraged.  When it was announced Klinnsman kept off Donovan, there were hell being raised on Twitter, and I actually understood why the German coach did it.  He is thinking in term of long term project, and the fans were thinking "short term, win now."  I think there's something to be said sometime Americans, I being one of course, being too damn sentimental about "heroes."  I watched him play in the CONCAAF Cup, and felt he left a lot of points on the field instead of in the net.  I think in one of the semifinals, he admitted afterward that the US left a lot of goals off the board, and he was responsible for most of it, I think.  Right now, the USA's back line are as shaky, and Klinnsmann know it.  He has a lot of youth on the roster who has never played on the big stage like the World Cup, but they are getting "baptized by fire," so to speak.  I think if the US Soccer Federation will be patient than they were with Bradley (who I thought did a phenomenal job, but got the shaft instead), Klinnsman clearly has a plan for the USMNT.  Frankly, I think that Klinnsman, being a German and being efficient, is bringing that type of precision soccer that the German are known for, and Donovan can't cut the mustard on that.  Donovan is at his best when he freelances and has someone who can feed him the ball, but put him into a systematic soccer, he wilt like the flower in summer heat.

Now, as for the Americans advancing, they have a tall order ahead of them.  They have to beat the Germans, and we all know how good the Germans are.

Actually a draw would be good enough to go through in second with Germany winning the group. It becomes tricky if you lose though but even then you could go through if the other match is a draw or on goal difference if one of them wins -depending on the result of course.