Cut, colour, paste into original

Humility

I was just wondering, are there any like plug ins or anything that would make it so when I copy and and paste an image it is copy and pasted within the selected area? If so that would save my upwards to thirty minutes of work a day.

I just did, It doesn't work. Both in its default and with the values set to all 0.00. I copied the square from the image, leaving the selected area just as it was, pasted this into a new window, colored it, and when I did fill from selection the result was way off. It stayed within the box but it was all twisted and wrong. And I couldn't adjust it at all.

I was just wondering, are there any like plug ins or anything that would make it so when I copy and and paste an image it is copy and pasted within the selected area? If so that would save my upwards to thirty minutes of work a day.

Hi, sorry, I don't think I fully understand what you're looking for. Do you have any examples or pictures? :)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

It shouldn't be too hard to understand. I take a piece out of a black and white picture, put it in another window, color it, then paste it back in exactly where I got it though if you want a picture I can get one I guess.

I don't understand either.  I suggest instead of saying insulting things like 

It shouldn't be too hard to understand.

you instead exemplify your username and post a picture.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Please don't jump down my throat if this doesn't work  :D

Duplicate layer.

Select the new top layer

Select area you want to work on.

Invert selection

Delete (so you are only left with the bit you want to work on)

Work on it

Merge the two layers.

Edited by splatcat

I take a piece out of a black and white picture, put it in another window, color it, then paste it back in exactly where I got it though if you want a picture I can get one I guess.

Thank you for the example, I understand better now. :)

Since I do not know what kind of expriance you have with Paint.NET, I apologize if I explain things you already know.

Pasting On a New Layer.

Splatcat pretty much said one of the best ways of doing things. But, like-wise, you can also select the area you want, copy it, add a new layer :AddNewLayer: , then paste.

However, be sure you are zoomed out, or else the pasting might be misaligned.

Once your item is on it's own layer, you can edit it in any way you want.

Save the file in pdn file format to keep the image in working layers, but when you are all satisfied, you can flatten the image and save it in something like jpeg or png.

New Canvas Then Back to Other Canvas.

For pasting the item as it's own separate image on it's own canvas, make sure the new canvas is the same size as the one you are copying from (often I will copy my full current canvas just to get the sizing, since opening a new canvas will then match the dimensions of what's on the clipboard).

After the new canvas is made, go copy the small section you want from your main canvas, then return to the new canvas, add a new layer, and paste.

After editing the piece, you can select all, copy, go back to your main canvas, and paste.

Extra.

Generally, as long as the canvas sizes are the same size and you're not zoomed in, Paint.NET is very good at copying and pasting things in exact alignment, it's actually one of the nice parts about Paint.NET. Other photo editing programs usually paste things with a preset location in the upper right corner of the canvas.

In case you still need help aligning things :

Try using the arrow keys on your keyboard. They will move things pixel by pixel, such as selected objects, selections when Move Selection Tool is in use, and drawing tools.

For alining objects, you can also try these plugins :

Align Object -- http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/4193-align-object-plugin-updated-06172007/

Object Align found in this plugin pack -- http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/8375-drop-shadow-and-other-effects-krisvdms-plugin-pack-updated-2010-10-26/

Perhaps you already knew some of the things I mentioned, but hopefully you still got the answer you wanted.

Or, if you need more help or something explaind further, feel free to ask. :)

I don't understand either.  I suggest instead of saying insulting things like 

you instead exemplify your username and post a picture.

Sorry, didn't mean for it to sound insulting. I'm not very good with, well words. I'll not post anymore.

Edited by Humility

Thanks for saying sorry. Everything is alright Humility, you're fine. You can still post and seek for help. To be honest I'm not very good with words too, it took me a long time till I could even come close to wording myself in a way that others could understand or in a way that didn't give the wrong impression. And even now I still struggle with it, so I hope you will have patience with me, just as I will with you. :)

• Upvote 2

Humility, I have edited your title. The reason we require posters to use descriptive titles is so that if anyone else has a similar question they can use the search function to find the answer.

Communicating ideas from our head to text is often difficult & open to interpretation & mis-communication results as were are not able to adjust our words as we receive no immediate feedback through non-verbal feedback such as a confused look, encouraging the speaker to give further explanation etc. - that is the girl explantion.

CC4 did a great job with the boy explanation. Don't sweat it. Nobody is perfect.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Sorry I just, when I get embarrassed I have to run away. Anyway here is an example of what I'm trying to do with how I currently do it.

Example1.png The initial image I'm starting with.

Example2.png Selecting the small portion I want to work with.

Example3.png

Creating a new window to paste that smaller portion so I can work on it faster without lag.

Example4.png Finished working on it.

Example5.png Pasted now compete portion onto original image.

Example6.png Lining it back into place.

I did find an easier way of doing it kind of, I found that a pasted image is always pasted as far upper left as possible. So I can use that fact to paste it right into place. Or I could if there was a way to prevent the image from scrolling automatically when I run the selector box near the edge.

Using layers would be a key way to do what you want to do. Do you know how to use and work with layers? If you don't that's fine, we can help you learn. To get you started on layers, here is a basic guide : http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/LayersWindow.html   :)

Here's an idea you might try that uses both a new canvas and layers :
1) Open your image (I'll call this canvas A)
2) Select all and copy
3) Make a new canvas (I'll call it B ) and make sure it's the same size as canvas A (but keep it blank for now)
4) On canvas B add a new layer
5) Then go back to canvas A and copy the small area of the image that you want
6) Go back to canvas B, click the second layer, then paste.
7) Now edit/change what you want.
8) After editing, select all and copy
9) Go to canvas A, add a new layer, and paste.
Finally flatten image.

Sorry for not having pictures, but I don't have much time at the moment. Maybe in a few days when I have more time I can help more, if you still need it.

Okay I followed your directions and umm... you know the reason I paste into a different tab is to speed up the coloring because working with the great big image is laggy. Though your post did give me the idea to see if just pasting into a different layer will speed things up the same way.

I just double checked all the suggestions. None work.

You see the problem is that a large image like what I use (2,500 by 3,200) is difficult for my computer to color. Its sluggish and slow. So instead of trying to color the large image at once I copy a small portion of the large image, paste it into a new window and just color that small portion. Which is much, much faster. Then I take that small completed portion and paste it back into the larger image, slowly lining it back into its place. Then I repeat this with the rest of the image, section by section until the whole image is cleaned up and colored.

When I follow the suggestions given so far, they all require I keep the large image, defeating the reason I'm taking that image out of place in the first place. Even on a window, layer or page devoid of anything else the program still seems to treat the image like there is actually something in the empty space.

Since comprehending what I want is so, difficult, I'm guessing its just not something that ever comes up for anybody but me. :(

Actually, I have a slow PC too, and I also struggle very badly with large images. But I've never tried working on things as you've been trying to do. Often though, when working on a really big image, making a small selection around the area of focus helps make it so things process a lot faster, than if trying to render the whole canvas.

Sorry I can't help much, since the real issue here seems to be trying to find work arounds to editing/coloring big images with a slower PC, I'm kind of in the same boat as you with no solution. However, these plugins might interest you :

Align Object : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/4193-align-object-plugin-updated-06172007/

Object Align from this pack : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/8375-drop-shadow-and-other-effects-krisvdms-plugin-pack-updated-2010-10-26/

And not a plugin but useful, with the "Rotate Zoom" feature in Paint.NET, you can "pan" things around the canvas and type in exact numbers. It's located in the Layers tab of the Menu Bar.

If you can find a good way to working with large images, please share more of your ideas, as I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting know some tricks. :)

If you can find a good way to working with large images, please share more of your ideas, as I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting know some tricks. :)

More RAM

More processors

64 bit OS

Paint.NET 4.0x

Seriously if your system has low specs you're always going to struggle with images that large.

Well, thank you for trying EER, but a new PC isn't exactly in the budget at the moment for me, and I'm sure it's the same for many others too.
Also, for my PC, 4.0 handles larger images worse than 3.X. Which is understandable if 4.0 takes more ram or memory. Or at least that's how it for my machine.
And yes, low specs does mean lower performance, but that doesn't mean there can't be ways to still help the performance improve for what it is. But I guess that's getting more into technical help rather than Paint.NET help. :)

Yeah putting the box around it does help a little, but its way, way, way faster to just work a smaller section at a time then refi it into the image. If with needing to manually fit it, its just that much faster.

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to say I found the most efficient way of returning a smaller image into a bigger one is to take advantage of the fact when you paste an image it always goes into the upper left hand corner. So if you zoom in then use the pan tool to align the image so the selection box's left hand corner is lined up with your screen's left hand corner, when you paste it'll paste in right where it needs to be. And its a whole lot easier to just line up your screen with the box then to try and line up the smaller image with the bigger image. A ton easier.

Kind of would be nice if there was a hotkeyed plug-in though to auto align screen with selection box still. But still its a massive improvement to any of the alternatives.

Edited by Humility