Non.dll files in my Paint.net Effects folder...

My computer crashed and I've been installing paint.Net & plugins again on my new computer. I noticed that for some reason after I downloaded and then installed plugin packs to the Effects folder, there are many non .dll files in that folder. Does it matter? Should I delete all non .dll files in that folder?

This is an example of what is in my Paint.Net Effects folder:

AA's_Assistant.dll

ACoS.1

Add Depth.dll

AdvancedTools.1-FAKE

advcolorrep.dll

AdvGrey.1

AdvGrey.dll 

Welcome BosqueGal.

You can keep any with these extensions

*.dll  (plugins)

*.ini  (plugin configuration files)

*.dlc  (I think these are support files for other languages)

*.pdb  (program database file)

*.txt  (Read Me, help or palette files)

Advanced Tools can go too - it was an April Fools joke from years ago.

In your list - it should be safe to delete both with the extension *.1 - and any others you might find with a similar extension.

If you're in doubt - download the PDF version of the Plugin Index (link in my signature).  It has all the files listed for each plugin, so if a thorough search of the Index cannot find a suspect file you're reasonably safe to delete it.

The plugin for the Alpha Mask Import doesn't contain a single .dll file. It only contains the following file extensions: SLN, CS, CSPROJ, RESX, USER....plus a couple of png's. So which of these, if any, are not necessary to put into the Effects folder?

The plugin for the Alpha Mask Import doesn't contain a single .dll file. It only contains the following file extensions: SLN, CS, CSPROJ, RESX, USER....plus a couple of png's. So which of these, if any, are not necessary to put into the Effects folder?

Sounds like you downloaded the source code files instead of the effect dll. Go back to the Alpha Mask thread and download the other file and you should be good.