Adding text to side of image

paulri

All I'm trying to do is insert text to the side of a photo on my computer. I can see how to add text ONTO the picture, but I want it to the right of the picture. I'm trying to work with layers but can't seem to get what I want. I can paste the text onto the graphic, but when I move the text to the right, it simply disappears. I've done this before, but only a very long time ago and unfortunately I seem to have forgotten how to do this.

You'll need to increase your canvas size first.  Open up Image> Canvas Size, make sure your image location is set all the way to the left, and add to the pixel count in the Width box.

Layers are also a great idea; type your text on a layer so you can edit it later.

Let me know if you have any questions.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Thanks. Partial progress here. I can expand the canvas so that there is white space on the right side (which is what I want). I can paste the text in, but when I try to move it, all I see is a wide rectangle of moving arrows around the text. I can hit Ctrl+z and undo the chnages, but them I'm back to square one, and this process starts over again.

That means you have the wrong layer selected.  Flip to the layer you've put the text on and you should be able to move it.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I'd say Paint.NET is perfect for your task.  The issue here is that you've already "committed" the text; once you deselect it, it's just pixels.  Delete those pixels and type your text again, then before you deselect it, move it to where you want it to be.

POST DELETED BY MINNI.

Edited by minni

I'm most comfortable with Advocates of Transparent RepairCare (vs. Stealthcare) no matter their graphic expertise.

blind_plight_minipic.jpg

On the topic of selecting/deselecting:

what I've not been figuring out intuitively, is the distinction between:

"move selected pixels" pointer

and the "move selection" pointer

Most of all, I'd often find myself wondering why suddenly there's a huge selection-square surrounding one of my selections (when originally the selection had been smaller-proportioned)

Minni - please start your own thread for this question. Asking these off-topic questions derails the original thread.

Sorry about the static - I deleted the post.

I'm most comfortable with Advocates of Transparent RepairCare (vs. Stealthcare) no matter their graphic expertise.

blind_plight_minipic.jpg