WISHLIST (huge list!)

Hello,

We are using this great program almost every day.

These are some of the problems I/we have found so far and prevents us from using Paint.NET effortlesly. We'd like to have them in the future if it's possible.

Thanks!

VERY IMPORTANT:

1) When you select something, it's better to have another window in the opposite corner that shows our selection sightly enlarged (to the pixel size).

Just like in the Fast Stone Capture program when capturing rectangular region. In this way, we don't have to enlarge the whole image just to select the desired portion of it.

VERY IMPORTANT:

2) Can we have a middle click option that allows us when we press it, to drag the whole image (including everything: windows, layers, etc)?

It gets annoying to exit every time from our editor surface and use both up&down scrollers to adjust the position of our editor zone.

3) When you save an image after editing, the option with SAVE CONFIGURATION or FLATTEN LAYERS should be removed. Or at least, make it optional.

Why do we have to click this OK buttons all over again, all out life?

4) When you copy-paste an image, its rotation should be done placing the mouse cursor the closer to the outside corners-or better removed.

The rotation arrow outside the image annoys us, because if we don't use this option, it gets in our way of dragging the selected portion of the image properly.

We also have the right click for this option! (ON/OFFoption to show the rotation arrow or not during the editing)

5) We want the icons we use often to be draggable in the middle of the screen on the same line. I want to have the UNDO/REDO buttons in the middle of the screen.

In this way I save a looot of time, looking for them in the corners of the main window.

6) An option that allows us to delete the layers by pressing the DELETE button on the keyboard. Or dragging them over the X (delete) sign from the bottom of the window.

7) The main theme of the program it gets dull after a period of using Paint.NET. We should have a large variety of color schemes to choose from: dark glossy, wood, etc.

8) All the options (rotation,flip, adjust, effects, etc) to be taken out of the main window and positioned individually wherever we want (alligned on the same line or wherewer we want in the editor zone).

9) An option to activate the top buttons with hover instead of clicking on them.

10) An option to have the SAVE US (Ctrl+Shift+S) button right in front of our eyes. Usually we don't use keys shortcuts.

11) An option of instant HORIZ/VERT flip only for the selected layer or/and image. Now it flipps all the prodject!!

When we drive the car and turn left/right...it turns only the car, not the entire road/city!

12) The tool window cannot be resized horizontally. And also cannot be draggable on the upper button rows to win space.

We want an option (if it's possible) that all the main windows (tools, history, layers) to be taken outside of the working zone and be visible/reappear when hovering on the far edge of the screen

13) There is a large amount of unused space on those two upper button rows. We need sticky windows and sticky effects/adjustments to fill it.

For example we use an effect all over again and want to be extracted from the main list and place it visually in the line with others we use them frequently.

Now my EFFECTS --> RENDER has many options to choose from. The option to slide through them vertically is discouraging. It's better to see them all on the same page.

14) Layers window - when you drag a layer over the other (5% procent) it's better to activate the option of merging those two layers....following the up&down merging rules, of course.

15) Layers window - when you want to drag a layer to get passed the last one in the window, if the layer list is too long, it does not scroll it automatically and you are force to drag the chosen layer, to use the scroll, drag again, stop, scroll, drag, scroll, and so on. It looses the purpose of simply dragging.

16) At hover over layer - the down options to (optionally) appear also over that selected layer.

IMPORTANT:

17) The layers to be grouped in folders. In this way we can eliminate all the mess from the Layers Window.

18) Layers window - to be able to horizontally resize the window to the icons dimension (+ layer on/off option pe iconita), to enlarge the working space.

19) Layers window - the ON/OFF sign to streatch onto the whole heigh of the layer to be easily pressed down.

20) Optional transparency over the down option bar.

IMPORTANT

21) When we save the image (even when we have added other images on the prodject), to be memorized the type of the preferred saved format (PNG, JPG, PAINT.NET, etc) not only the PAINT.NET format all the time.

22) We want a new window called GRIDS (horiz/vertic) to draw grids over the layers. The grids should be sticky (ON/OFF) in order the items to stick on them.

The lines to be copyable from a Grid Layer into another Grid Layer.

23) When you turn off a layer, the cursor shouldn't move over the first visible layer and to remain on the closed layer.

It helps if you have many layers, and now if you have a visible layer at the bottom of the main window, you go there, even if your next action will be to work and select the first layer from the window.

24) When you double click a visible window to close it down to minimize it. Now, if we want more space, we continuosly drag those windows all over the screen to see the visible space.

25) The ZOOM IMAGE option to be optionally localized not only on the right downwards but upwards, too.

VERY IMPORTANT:

26) When you drop an image on the current prodject, to be able to drop in in ANY of the upper windows/prodjects previosly opened and not only in the currently working window.

27) OPTIONAL (ON/OFF): Open photos in 100% screen, rather in window (but leave this option applyable, too).

When someone only works with photos opened in 100%, if he opens up many photos in the same time, is forced to enlarge them individually to 100% one by one.

28) An option to separate the button for WINDOW screen and for 100 % WINDOW. Now it's all in one and it gets its job done very well, but some people would like to have these two functions separately from each other.

VERY IMPORTANT:

29) If MOVE SELECTED PIXELS is active we'd like to be able to drag and drop another image WITHOUT deselecting the component first. In many cases we use to do this and we are forced to deny the new drag and drop until this condition is set.

30) At a pressing of a button (or an option ON/OFF) to memorize the last option used when importing the picture (open new or add layer).

31) When MOVE SELECTED PIXELS is active, an option to prevent the showing of that tiny border around image because it gets over our contour.

That border should appear only when we hower the selection with the cursor.
This option is necessary, because at a sensitive mouse-in this moment-holding the button of the mouse down to remove the border to see and move precisely the selection, it is very difficult to deviate the selection. We want to remove the border without keeping the mouse down (ON/OFF mode) or at least to increase the delay of re-appearing of the border.

VERY IMPORTANT:

Gee Rick, thanks for creating such a fine program and allowing me to use it without charge. Here's a donation.

NOT IMPORTANT:

We want this. I want that. We want something else...

The point is not to sell it, it's free software. If you want such features, get photoshop.

Also, am I correct in saying that 'we' represents a group of people you know who use PDN?

I wasn't sure if you were Queen Victoria...

As for 5) You can simply use the Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y buttons. Problem solved.

11) Go to the Layer tab - you can flip just the layer there. If you only want to flip a small portion, cut the bit you want to flip and paste it on a new layer. Flip that layer, and merge down.

Also, a lot of things can be done by getting the various free plugins available for download here on the forums.

signature.png

:cookie-chocolate: I baked another one...

Hello,

We are using this great program almost every day.

These are some of the problems I/we have found so far and prevents us from using Paint.NET effortlesly. We'd like to have them in the future if it's possible.

Thanks!

VERY IMPORTANT:

[...31 items of varying importance]

I keep saying this, and surprisingly no one has taken me up on it yet.

If you have better ideas for Paint.NET, you should make your own image editing program.

I know you don't think I'm serious, but I assure you, I'm very serious.  If you make one, let me know and I'll happily try it out.  The world needs more good programs.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Ok how should I put this... I think it is a pity that the PDN community and especially the higher-ups can sometimes get very annoyed and start being unfriendly. I am not talking about this minor incidence in here, but in general when I look at Rick's replays, there is so much hate and contemptuousness. like: "Read the Forum Rule NR 241B you M****F**ER! And don't ever come back here!!!" Ok obviously this never happened, but I always read his posts like that for some reason. To get back to the point: Queen Victoria obviously likes this software. So much in fact, that he actually signed up and put time and effort to write down what he thinks would even improve this beautiful piece of code. And what do we give him back? An angry: "no one cares what you have to say". I am not teaching anyone how to run a forum, but there is not many left of us here, and even less newbies so I personally wouldn't discourage them from posting. 

I do apologize if this was inappropriate, but I felt this comment from me was long overdue.

And now to answer the original post:

Paint.net is a very slow evolving software, because it is free and lives of the donations. I even would say, that it is passion that holds everything together. But with passion you can't pay bills. Therefor development resources are limited. At the moment the main focus is to get the version 4.0 up and running. And after that, Rick promised to work on the most popular feature requests (link). For now I would say, help yourself with plugins where you can and don't expect any new features for the next few months.(Hopefully not years) 

Edited by Haeri

I'm not with you guys on how you're treating a simple wishlist. Granted, "very important" may have been an overstatement, and the overall attitude could be improved, but suggestions are not a bad thing. Heck, even BoltBait makes suggestions where nobody is looking...

As Haeri pointed out, until v4.0 is released, Rick has no intention of adding new features. Releasing v4.0 takes priority over new features right now.

I took the time to read through the whole list. Some of the suggestions were nice, many could be solved if you made use of your other hand by using hotkeys, and the rest I just didn't understand or was indifferent about.

As I have no control over whether or not a feature is added, all I can do is help with workarounds, so here's everything you can fix with hotkeys plus a few explanations I felt were important:

2. All of the tool have hotkeys. Press H for the panning tool.

3. No. Rick's policy is to do everything he can to prevent users from unwittingly losing data. If the image were automatically flattened when you save, you lose all your layers. Also, most image filetypes don't support layers, so the image has to be flattened first.

5. Undo: ctrl+z Redo: ctrl+y Saves more time than moving icons would

6. ctrl+shift+delete. The delete key is reserved for the editing area already

7. The main theme exists as a neutral environment so that it doesn't interfere with your perception of color. No decent image editing software has the option of changing themes for this reason.

8. Hotkeys

10. Hold up...you usually don't use hotkeys? Time to start using hotkeys, then!

11. This one already exists. In the image menu, there's options to flip the whole image. In the layers menu, there's options to flip just the layers

12. To toggle the windows, press f5 f6 f7 and f8. They're all right next to each other, so it's not even inconvenient!

15. Agreed, but for now, resize the layer window.

17. This is in the popular feature requests. Go there to see what Rick has to say about it.

18. The layer options at the bottom can only be so small...just press f7 to toggle the layer window if you need more space.

VERY IMPORTANT

21. Rick has stated time and time again that he will NEVER do this. Again, he has a policy of never causing loss of data automatically. If you have multiple layers, the default option will ALWAYS be .pdn so you don't ever accidentally lose data. If there is only one layer, .png will be used, as it is a lossless image format (no layer support, though)

24. f5 f6 f7 f8

• Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Oh, for crying out loud, I was really being serious!!  I was honestly trying to sound as kind as possible, because I really want to see what they would come up with!

I understand why it strains credulity, but I am totally being serious.

@Haeri, I understand your frustration, and I'm sorry if you're offended by what sounds like flippancy or anger.  I assure you, in my case, it absolutely is not.  I would suggest that next time you have this concern, you PM one of the mods and let us know your concerns.  I agree, we need to be careful to welcome new users.  I think you're totally right.

@pdnnoob, good review.  I think the focus on not losing data is a good thing to keep in mind; we need to remember that new users are picking the program up all the time, and they could become terrified of doing anything if they think it's likely that they'll lose data.

@Painter34, sorry if you felt brushed-off.  It's a good list; it's just that most of the things you put on it are impossible at the moment or something Rick has said he won't be doing.  I think some of our more angry repliers were probably just upset that you used "very important" for a list of requests that weren't very important.  :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Paint.net is a very slow evolving software

I disagree with this. I can navigate around the program and plugins quite fast and in the last 3-4 years I have been using it I have seen it evolve to be the best free program out there. 

If PDN was the same as other programs it wouldn't be PDN.  If you want a hamburger then don't pick up a hot dog.  :D

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Yep,responses were rude.Sure the op could have left out the VERY IMPORTANT bit sure.If his wish list was over dramatic then so were the responses.Not all of them mind you.Anyway,I really like the number 2 wish.

Edited by johnnysdream

I disagree with this. I can navigate around the program and plugins quite fast and in the last 3-4 years I have been using it I have seen it evolve to be the best free program out there. 

If PDN was the same as other programs it wouldn't be PDN.  If you want a hamburger then don't pick up a hot dog.   :D

He was just saying development is slow because one person does it on his free time. Not that it is slow to use ;)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

The Opening Segment by the OP was nice. The OP showed gratitude for the software and said hopes for the future, which means they don't expect things instantly.
But, yes, it is true, the wording in the Wish List is done in a not as nice manner. It's more of a telling what to do, “You should and need to do this and that” instead of asking, “If possible maybe try this please? This feature would be nice too, your thoughts? I hope you would consider improving this feature, it's already good, but a few tweaks could make it more user friendly, what do you say?” Turing each request into a nice question instead of a telling statement would have come off better.

Just a tip.

Asking is often nicer than telling. No one likes to be told what to do. If one insists on telling others what to do, then there better be rainbow amounts of flattery mixed in too. ;)

However, for the "Very Important" headings, I saw no issues with them. All the OP was doing was making clear that IF and only IF a request was to be added in, those were the ones that were most important to them, the ones they would hope to see become real more than anything else on the list. It's just showing personal value, and perhaps some desperation.

Now as a personal note, I'm sorry, but I often feel like feature requests get bitten at, no matter what. They're often very discouraged, shot down, and responded to as if all requesters are ungrateful, impatient, noobs. I don't think it's a crime to post or share a Wish List. True, most of the wishers that I see wish in a not so desirable manner, but I don't see why the responders need to respond in the same manner. When possible, I think it might be better to be a positive influence and not their mirror.

But, those are just my thoughts.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Hello again.

And thanks for your support Haeri and johnnysdream.

Also thank you for your response pdnnoob and others.

Actually I've been using this program for about 2-3 years.

I've decided to make an account here, to simply put those ideas down hoping that someone, sometimes, will gonna look over them and choose something to implement.

I didn't get mad reading those responses. Usually I respect the people with all the goods and the bads they have.

Sorry for grammar, english is not my native language-I forghot to say.  :(

I would like to thank you all for reading this topic.

I thought some of the ideas written above have some importance...in everyone's life, but in the end I gave up hoping of something.

....we live in a cruel world.

Where everything is based on money...money and money.

May I ask you something, moderators?

If this software is also so important for you...why on God's sake is being made by ONLY ONE person?

When a car is born/being made...a whole team is doing its best to make it nr. 1 on the market!

Why only one guy is doing this, when you clearly see all these necessities we have here!

Did you happen to know, if we take for example point nr. 2 (appreciated by johnnysdream, too).....millions of people will save hundreads and thousands of cumulated hours of their precious time?

How much do you care of us?!?

That one who offended me...maybe you are a simple moderator. But we are using this program EVERY DAY!!

You do not have to use it at all. All you have to do is to ban people and to keep this forum clean from bots, swearing, double posts and so on.

But WE CARE!!

And yes, maybe we should try to make our own software instead as you suggested. Like this btw? www.pixlr.com

But doing this, we'll make sure ours is the best of the best....and in this way...what will be the purpose of your existence from that point in time forward?

That's why, some of us, have chosen to stay with this one and make improvements with small advice, sugestions, tips, etc.

Do you happen to know that others are well payed to descover glitches and to offer solutions that we are giving them free, here, without any need of charge?

To find what???

-That all (or some) of you don't even need them? We simply don't exist for you??

-That there is only one person working on a program we love so much?

Of course we can use Photoshop, but that's why we are still here: we've been using Paint.NET for a long time, to appreciate anything else more than this.

May I ask you something, moderators?

If this software is also so important for you...why on God's sake is being made by ONLY ONE person?

Because it's his software. Rick is the developer. We Moderators as volunteers who support the forum and Paint.NET by donating our time.

That one who offended me...maybe you are a simple moderator. But we are using this program EVERY DAY!!

You didn't offend me. I was pointing out that you omitted to thank Rick in any way or to say please. I consider politeness a priority.

The fact that you use the software every day means you're just like us. I use Paint.NET every day. Many of us do.

Do you happen to know that others are well payed to discover glitches and to offer solutions that we are giving them free, here, without any need of charge?

Some of the senior members of this forum help Rick find and resolve bugs. We do it free.

Yep,responses were rude.Sure the op could have left out the VERY IMPORTANT bit sure.If his wish list was over dramatic then so were the responses.Not all of them mind you.Anyway,I really like the number 2 wish.

Just a little 2 cents from my perspective. While most of this topic is way over my head, I MYSELF OFTEN USE UPPERCASE -NOT- BECAUSE MY INTENT IS RUDE SHOUTING, BUT RATHER CUZ IT'S THE QUICKEST WAY FOR ME TO HILITE A POINT.

UNFORTUNATELY, THE MAJORITY OF THE WORLD ARE CONVENTIONAL THINKERS, AND (FOR SOME REASON WHICH I CAN'T FATHOM) - THE MOVERS & SHAKERS OF NETIQUETTE CHOSE TO ESTABLISH UPPERCASE AS "SHOUTING"

But logically speaking, it's not logical to interpret a posting's INTENT as rude, on the mere basis of a technicality.

Yet people do it all the time. Which is why I often appreciate smilies.

B):D:)B):D;):DB):):DB)

I'm most comfortable with Advocates of Transparent RepairCare (vs. Stealthcare) no matter their graphic expertise.

blind_plight_minipic.jpg

How much do you care of us?!?

You do not have to use it at all. All you have to do is to ban people and to keep this forum clean from bots, swearing, double posts and so on.

But WE CARE!!

As a moderator I care about people & so do all of the other moderators on here. That is why we give our time free.

"a simple moderator"? I appreciate English is not your first language but that is a rude thing to say in itself.

Without ever having been a moderator on here, you presume to know what we do. I find this extremely offensive. 

Personally, I think I do some very fine works with PDN, either using it to create original images using PDN only or using it to manipulate photos. Have you even bothered to look at various galleries? PDNNoob is another moderator who creates very fine works. Bet you have not bothered to go see it either.

Rick provides this program for free for a reason. You can either choose to use it or not. Do you ever contact Photoshop & ask them to implement a list of things the you want? I doubt it. 

Coming in with a huge list of wants was never going to end well. Please consider seriously the responses from PDNNoob, Ego Eram Reputo & David Atwell.

We do this because we want to. It is our hobby, what we like to do in our spare time because we have a life outside PDN. Please consider that for yourself. 

I think we have all said our bit so I am locking this thread.

• Upvote 2
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012