opening psd file

hey all i have been trying to open psd file: Tee_Template!_1200x1200 but have been unsuccessful. some help would be very much appreciated. I thought Paint.Net would open pds files. 

Edited by david.atwell
Shortened title

You need to download This File type plug in to open and edit PSD files, remember to put the dll into your file types folder in paint.net.

How to install the plugin http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

1. Close Paint.NET.
  2. Open the ZIP file, and then copy PhotoShop.dll to: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes
  3. Restart Paint.NET, which will automatically detect the PSD filetype plugin. 

I cannot find where i am instructed to put file: PhotoShop.dll into which is file: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes.

i have never been through this process. when i download i only need to click on "run", "yes", "accept", etc. i might need to restart comp. the process is over at that point. 

will u help me? please and thk u

Edited by reyY

First click the purple download button on the top right of the page.  (in the link you have provided)
Then once downloaded unzip (Right Click > Extract All)
Then copy the contents of your extracted folder to Paint.net \ FileTypes folder (As instructed at step #2 on the download page)

You can then open paint.net and edit / save psd files. 

Hope this is of help :)

Edited by DrewDale
  • Upvote 1

BREtKQW.png

How to install the plugin http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

1. Close Paint.NET.
  2. Open the ZIP file, and then copy PhotoShop.dll to: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes
  3. Restart Paint.NET, which will automatically detect the PSD filetype plugin. 

I cannot find where i am instructed to put file: PhotoShop.dll into which is file: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes.

Step #2 Instructs you what to do with the dll. There is a folder in  Program files \ Paint.net  called File Types Copy the dll into there then restart paint.net.

HFuQlot.png

how can i tell if i did it right

Step #2 Instructs you what to do with the dll. There is a folder in  Program files \ Paint.net  called File Types Copy the dll into there then restart paint.net.

how can i tell if i did it right

Open your file explorer and have a look.  Is the file Photoshop.dll in the Paint.NET/Effects folder?

If you did it right, you'll be able to open .psd files with paint.net

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

i dont think i did it right.. i cannot find psd file: Tee_Template from Threadless.com.

when i open psd shortcut i click on "open with" on popup. a dialog box then appears which in effect says "open PSD with".

i chose: Paint.Net.. a bunch of options then appear.

i do not know which to chose

Edited by reyY

You're confusing the dll with a psd image file.

Download the dll file and unzip it.  Place the unzipped dll file in your C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes folder.

yhsjjie-586.png

Restart Paint.NET.  This is required to correctly load the plugin.

Now go to File > Open and navigate your way to your sample *.psd file.  If the plugin is loaded correctly the file should open in Paint.NET.

You're confusing the dll with a psd image file.

Download the dll file and unzip it.  Place the unzipped dll file in your C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes folder.

yhsjjie-586.png

Restart Paint.NET.  This is required to correctly load the plugin.

Now go to File > Open and navigate your way to your sample *.psd file.  If the plugin is loaded correctly the file should open in Paint.NET.

i put PhotoShop.dll into C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes..

after i did this i was presented with "continue" option. so it must have been done right. 

is it possible to confirm plugin was loaded properly or would it b easier to try and open the psd file i want. 

btw the psd i want to open is: Tee_Template_1200x1200.psd from Threadless.com.

https://www.threadless.com/threadless/submission-kit/

the reason i tried to open psd via shortcut is the instructor n tutorial does so.

if u would like to see it :55 -

some help on how to open psd would b very much appreciated?

Please & thank u
Edited by reyY

You can either do as instructed by others above - Open Paint.net then locate the psd you wish to open. Or you can right click on the psd file, scroll to "open with" and find paint.net among your programs, then check use as default.

By default paint.net will not open a psd file unless paint.net is instructed to do so. 

I have just downloaded and opened the psd file with no problems. 

Edited by mottoman

HFuQlot.png

• 6 years later...

Hello paint.net experts.  I need some help.  I downloaded the paint.net app from the Microsoft store.  I am trying to use it for .psd with layers.  I still can't get the app to open a psd.  I DL'd the plugin

image.thumb.png.b8e1352dfa3fa6d9240a260ceac8c5d6.png

Created the folders in Documents>paint.net App Files>File Types and dropped the .dll in that folder

image.thumb.png.2a193cc57faf56c059ea4ffb3fb11629.png

Reopened Paint.net and still can't open a psd.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you so much.

Todd

17 minutes ago, ToddM said:

Created the folders in Documents>paint.net App Files>File Types and dropped the .dll in that folder

The File Types folder name must be one word, e.g. FileTypes.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait