Need two views of one image, possible?

I need a view that's zoomed about 600% and another that's 100% for doing pixel art sprite work easier. I can do this in Photoshop with "Windows -> Arrange -> New Window for Document 1" is that possible in Paint.NET with a plugin or otherwise?

Sorry, Paint.NET does not have a way to simultaneously paint on two separate images at two different zoom levels. And if there is a work around for such a process, I unfortunately don't know it.

However, if you aren't needing to paint on both images, and you only need the one image as a reference image, what you could do is open the reference image in a regular image viewing program. Then have paint.net open on one side of your screen and have the image viewer open on the other side of the screen. If you are using windows 7, you can even right click the task bar and choose "Show Windows Side by Side". This will make it so any non-minimized Windows will be arranged evenly across your screen.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Is this any help? http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=14848

These keyboard shortcuts might help

Ctrl + + increases the zoom level.  Hit this combination several times to zoom in on your sprite.

Ctrl + - decreases the zoom level.  Use this to zoom back out or Ctrl + Shift + A to see it actual size.

viewmenu.png

Not two separate images but two views of the same image.  One at say 600% and the other at 100%, just so I can see the overall picture while also working on the detail of it.  I can work while only zoomed in, but it's a nice-to-have. 

Can't do that. Sorry.  All you can do is jump between two zoom levels.

I find the thumbnail image in the Image List is often a good reference.

• 4 weeks later...

The zooming and unzooming makes the process take longer. pepoluan wants to be able to just glance back and forth. I understand how it would be valuable, but unfortunately it's not possible to do with plugins.

Have you tried using the Windows Screen Zoom utility? I think that might help you greatly.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Paint.NET sadly does not have any duel view functions, and the closest plugin that has a duel view ability is the Paths/Pen Tool plugin with it's peephole window. However, after thinking about things more, here are some ideas that people who want easier/faster zoom views might like or find useful....

First, since Paint.NET doesn't have a duel screen feature, learning shortcut keys and zooming functions can help a lot.
For example with the Zoom tool (shortcut key Z) you can click and drag to zoom in on areas quickly and easily, once you're zoomed in hit a shortcut key for a tool to draw with, such as the Paint Brush tool (shortcut key B ), then to check your work you can zoom back out with “Zoom to Window” (ctrl + B ). So, toggling between the different zooms would be sort of like this : Zoom Z, click & drag zoom in, Brush B, draw, Window View ctrl + B, repeat, and so on. It sounds tedious, but with practice it could feel more like a work flow pattern.

Another thing, which isn't perfect, but is an idea, is that if you are using windows 7 you could try it's Magnifier. Control Panel > Ease Of Access Center > Make The Computer Easier to See > Turn on Magnifier. Or you can simply Click Start > Search > Type Magnifier, and it should show up.
The Magnifier takes some getting used to, and exploring it's different view modes and options is recommended, but once the magnifier is learned, it can be kind of nifty. (Note : for lense view and full screen view to work you need an Aero theme)

Click "Show" for an example image with using the “Lens” view of the Magnifier.

Hidden Content:
MagnifierLensePaintNET_zps199951da.jpg

You still do need to zoom in with Paint.NET a little, but the magnifier can act like a super zoom. Moving things might feel a bit sensitive when working through the magnifier, but using your arrow keys on your keyboard can help.
Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

• 9 years later...

@Layarion Please see #11 in the Forum Rules https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/2932-read-first-the-rules-yes-you-read-this-2013-12-21/

Just saying 'me too' after 9 years is not going to achieve anything.

It would be more effective if you created a new thread and explained your need, i.e. why it would be "very nice to have".

• Pixey locked this topic