Plugin features built in

Is there any chance that we could see some vanilla features from some really handy plugins?

Such as

- Align (Top Left, Bottom Center, Etc)

- Flip

- Color Remover (Single color to remove such as white to make the image background transparent)

- Outline

Seconded, just thought that those four were almost essential for anyone looking to ease the workflow a little :) I also add to the list:

AAs Assistant, Tile Image, Color tint, Outline Selection, Bevel selection

eOdUjVm.jpg

I was going to ask that weeks ago.Months ago probably.I dont know how these things work so I was afraid it may have been a noob question so I didnt post it.I dont see why theres not like...15 plugins that arent a regular part of the program.Is that a lot?Wouldnt that just make the program even better/stronger?I have well over 20 myself.

I was going to ask that weeks ago. Months ago probably. I dont know how these things work so I was afraid it may have been a noob question so I didnt post it. I dont see why theres not like...15 plugins that arent a regular part of the program. Is that a lot? Wouldnt that just make the program even better/stronger? I have well over 20 myself.

As long as you aren't posting in the wrong section of the forums or necro posting, I'm sure the moderators don't mind you posting and asking anything you have questions about. Like-wise, most of us users here are all just like you, we love paint.net, we are always learning, we could always stand to improve, and we have curiosity about many things too. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now then, for my thoughts on plugins being part of the basics of paint.net...

- Align (Top Left, Bottom Center, Etc)

- Flip

- Color Remover (Single color to remove such as white to make the image background transparent)

- Outline

Seconded, just thought that those four were almost essential for anyone looking to ease the workflow a little :) I also add to the list:

AAs Assistant, Tile Image, Color tint, Outline Selection, Bevel selection

+ Drop Shadow.

I agree With :

Align (I use Object Align), Flip for objects and/or selections (since we already have image flip and layers flip), Color Remover, Outline, AAs Assistant, Color Tint, Outline Selection, and Drop Shadow.

I would also want to see some sort of built-in "Feather" feature. I know most people use AA's Assistant, but the two are different and they actually complement each other rather well. The ability to soften edges from cut-out objects is very common amongst other photo editing programs, and I feel paint.net's plugins that help with choppy edges are on par with the other programs, if not better, so they would be wonderful to have as paint.net's basics. <3

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

IMHO adding more and more functionality to the basic application is the wrong approach.

There are too many different types of users using the application for different things.

So the user should be able to decide what is useful in the work flow.

Means improving the API would allow more creative solutions.

- There is the need to access the layers instead of anonymous bitmaps.

- A modeless interface to implement tools which can work on the canvas while the user still can zoom or move in the image.

But at the end we are happy if Rick is able to invest some time to get 4 on the desk.

• Upvote 1

midoras signature.gif

Midora is right.  I think that the core of PdN should remain as small as possible.  Align, outline, and drop shadow would be nice, but I feel like overwhelming it with features would make it a bit too large.  Plugins are easy to install, and a plugin manager would make it even easier; if they had more flexibility, it would be awesome.  Having 4.0 done, though, is the primary goal.  :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I would also want to see some sort of built-in "Feather" feature. I know most people use AA's Assistant, but the two are different and they actually complement each other rather well. The ability to soften edges from cut-out objects is very common amongst other photo editing programs, and I feel paint.net's plugins that help with choppy edges are on par with the other programs, if not better, so they would be wonderful to have as paint.net's basics.

Paint.NET 4.0 includes soft selection edges... so, basically feathering is already included in 4.0.

@ David, oh yes, having paint.net 4.0 is most certainly where all the attention is, and that's where it should be, and it's the current excitement for many :), and of course Rick is the one and only man, at the moment, who is responsible for the most awesomist, bestest, coolest, most amazing program ever, so of course gratitude and appreciation are still going strong. <3

Luckily feature requests have no time frame and they are simply ideas and day dreams which may or may not ever come true (usually they don't, so expectations should be nil lol). Despite their low probability of coming true, I think they are at least interesting and nice touches of feedback.

@ Boltbait, I know selection has a tolerance adjustment and is antialiased, but I don't know what you mean about a soft selection. Since feather is the blurring/softening of the edge of an object, that's where my thoughts were for wanting a built-in feather.

Now I do have to agree though, I think if plugins do become implemented, they should be kept to a minimum and should be kept to things which are more of basics. I do like the idea of some plugins being part of the core of paint.net, but I wouldn't say add all of them. It's more of a list them and then pick n choose a couple that still maintain the simplicity of paint.net.

What's the purpose for adding plugins to the core of paint.net?

There are several people that I have seen who either don't install plugins, with varying reasons, or they don't know about plugins. So it would be nice if paint.net extended it's core features, since again, some features that are standard in most other programs, are still missing from paint.net's standard line-up.

Those are just my thoughts though. :)