How to add "shine" in an image. (TF2 SKINNING & STUFF)

Hello zer :3

i want to know how to add a shine in a material of a tf2 weapon

i saw fiveeyes able to make an retexture of a stock wep into an australium-like weapon (pretty much gold, the tf2 community calls it australium.). sadly it's in photoshop :c

i also don't know how to video :|

ALSO THE AUSTRALIUM THING I WAS TALKIN ABOUT

BIzsJXx.png

(sorry for the big images)

i really want to know how to do this. cuz i wanna make a commanda pew pew direct hit shiny :3

Edited by pdnnoob
changed image of video to video
1912364_659957740707605_849342694_n.jpg

I had to go do a bunch of research to figure out what you're talking about. Not everyone knows what "australium" means because it's unique to tf (Team Fortress for those who don't know). And even in the tf community, there are people who haven't the slightest idea who fiveeyes is.

So for future reference, use pictures to explain this kind of thing.

Anyhow, there are several tutorials on chrome textures on this forum. This one and this one illustrate the basic idea behind giving objects a chrome finish.

Depending on your object, this plugin may be a helpful tool.

cuz i wanna make a commanda pew pew direct hit shiny :3

What in the...is this English!? ;P

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Ok I see how this works now.

It's super easy. In paint.net, all the channels are combined. All you have to do is select the parts you want to change to gold and use the color tint plugin to change the color

TF2, from what I can see in the video, will automatically make it shiny.

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Yesh

nao i can make mah commanda chop chop pew pew animated anime dolphin 360 gun >:3

(YEAH THANKS ANYWAYS I NEED TO USE CAPS HERE TO SHOW MY APPRECIATION HEH)

Edit : looks like the plugin just occured an error

File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\EdHarvey.Effects.dll
      Effect Name: EdHarvey.Edfects.Effects.TintEffect
      Full error message: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'PaintDotNet.ColorWheel' from assembly 'PaintDotNet, Version=3.511.4977.23448, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
   at EdHarvey.Edfects.Effects.TintEffectConfigDialog.InitializeComponent()
   at EdHarvey.Edfects.Effects.TintEffectConfigDialog..ctor()
   at EdHarvey.Edfects.Effects.TintEffect.CreateConfigDialog()
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffectImpl(Type effectType) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 799
Edited by Trax rInfo

Ah hmm...EER, you may wish to update that link in your plugin index.

Here's the latest version of the plugin: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/18811-ed-harvey-effects-v-35-2012-02-13/

??

Looks like the same link to me.  

Several of Ed's older packs have been flagged as "Superseded by a later release".  Ed has not yet thrown his v4.0 pack into the public arena - which is why it doesn't appear (yet).

The link to color tint should go to the plugin pack, no? Ed doesn't have individual threads for each plugin.

Right now, it points to a thread from 2006.

Ed did release a few effects in their own thread.  In that respect the correct thread is used by the Plugin Index (the original from 2006).  The Index does note that Color Tint is part of Ed's plugin pack and provides the correct link ;)

For clarification I've edited the old thread to correctly link to Ed's plugin pack (v3.5) and removed the old zip file.

Sorry, I don't know anything about skinning, but normally to make things shiny you first add a layer above your image, lower the layer's opacity. then color with a little bit of white in the right spots (for your particular skinning thing, I don't know what the right spots would be. You will have to experiment). And depending on what you want shiny, sometimes gaussian blurring or adding some glow effect can add to the shiny appearance.

Here is a paint.net Guide if you don't know some of the things I'm talking about.
Layers : http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/LayersWindow.html
Gaussian Blur : http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/EffectsBlursMenu.html
Glow : http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/EffectsPhotoMenu.html

Also, you might want to head over to the tutorials section of this forum, find tutorials with shiny things, and try them out to learn a few techniques.

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/forum/18-tutorials-publishing-only/

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles
  • Upvote 1

Sorry, I don't know anything about skinning, but normally to make things shiny you first add a layer above your image, lower the layer's opacity. then color with a little bit of white in the right spots (for your particular skinning thing, I don't know what the right spots would be. You will have to experiment). And depending on what you want shiny, sometimes gaussian blurring or adding some glow effect can add to the shiny appearance.

Here is a paint.net Guide if you don't know some of the things I'm talking about.

Layers : http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/LayersWindow.html

Gaussian Blur : http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/EffectsBlursMenu.html

Glow : http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/EffectsPhotoMenu.html

Also, you might want to head over to the tutorials section of this forum, find tutorials with shiny things, and try them out to learn a few techniques.

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/forum/18-tutorials-publishing-only/

Your advice is pretty much useless.

i wish 4.0 has a thing where we can seperate the channels or a plugin right nao, i wish this happens q-q

EDIT : i feel like a jerk :c

well i read the rules, sent an apology message to cc4fuzzyhuggles and messaged the mod who locked this

i'll be careful next time...

Edited by Trax rInfo

I never worked on a team fortress texture but it appears the man in the video is defining a targa image as an specular environment map in the text file. Then he's taking the original image and tinting it and simply erasing the parts that are not suppose to shine and saving this image as the specular  environment map which is a completely different file from the original texture. 

In short - for the texture to shine you have to

• copy the texture and save it as a separate texture.
  • define it as an specular environment map in the config file.
  • edit the environment map by making the parts in the specular environment map that aren't suppose to shine transparent by erasing and making the shiny parts brighter.
  • save as the specular environment map - not the texture

the shine will be created by the specular  shaders in the graphics engine.

Looks like he's using a pre-existing item as the template.

POST EDIT: I found a reference http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73559

The only plugin that may help you here is BoltBait's  PasteAlpha

She was trying to help 

Edited by TechnoRobbo

Go out there and be amazing. Have Fun, TR
TRsSig.png?raw=1
Some Pretty Pictures Some Cool Plugins

Nope, you don't get to be a jerk without reprisal.

Go read the rules (especially 3, 4, and 9) and come back when you're ready to act like a human being.  Let me know when that happens, and I'll unlock this thread.

Locked and Warned

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Unlocked per request.  Welcome back!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.