Suggestion: Add a highlight button

I would like to suggest adding a Highlight function and Highlight button in paint.net. Thanks

I guess the freeform shape button which is seldom used can be changed to a highlight button. Or maybe just add an additional highlight button in the Tools.

post-135273-0-00419800-1394159960_thumb.

post-135273-0-00419800-1394159960_thumb.

Edited by pman

Freeform tool is actually very commonly used.  Just because it isn't commonly used by you.  :-)

I actually fail to see how this would be useful in photo editing.  In text editing, sure, but that's not nearly as common, and it can be mimicked by flipping a layer to "multiply" and then using a paintbrush...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I do understand the adding a layer, set to "multiply" and paintbrush method. It takes a few steps and longer time to do it. Anyway it just a friendly suggestion to add an additional highlight tool function. The snipping tool in Windows have a highlight button so I actually thought that an advanced software like paint.net should have a highlight button.

I use paint.net mainly for annotation of screenshots. I usually do these things: add text, draw lines/arrows, rectangle, highlight and blank out details. :)

Makes sense.  But a lot of different people have a lot of different use cases; yours is common, but people also use Paint.NET for drawing, photo manipulation, text effects, logo and website design, image restoration, color modification, fashion testing, asset creation for video and web...

So, you see, your particular use case is not even the most common one.  :-)

As Rick noted in your other thread, there is a new feature in the toolbar on Paint.NET v4 that might help you out.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.