Paint.NET won't uninstall whatever I do...

It all started when I was editting an image and Paint.NET sent me a message that Beta 4.0 is out and that I should upate. But when I tried to install Beta 4.0 it said that this program is already installed (wait, what?!). I tried to uninstall Paint.NET and see can I install the new version. It couldn't uninstall because a program was missing. I have the MS .NET framework 4.0, 4.5 and even 4.5.1 so don't tell me to see do I have it installed. After that I deleted the Paint.NET folder and now it cannot install. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate X64. Any help on this will be appreciated. Perhaps a fresh OS re-install will do the trick?

Edited by PowerUser

You deleted the Paint.NET program folder from C:\Program Files and it left more orphaned files and Registry keys that makes the computer think that its still there and won't let you re-install it.

The solution I will try is to do a System Restore. Type system restore on the Start Menu search box. Use System Restore to restore your computer to a date before you deleted the Paint.NET folder. You would be unlucky if your system protection is disabled or if you don't have any restore points. If not, try using CCleaner to delete these orphaned junk files left then attempt another install of Paint.NET but try installing version 4 this time.

If you did manage to restore, do not use the updater feature on Paint.NET but instead try downloading the latest beta version of Paint.NET 4 provided here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27954-paintnet-40-beta-build-5168/

It should be on a ZIP file.

If ever you want to force uninstall Paint.NET, you can use a free program called Revo Uninstaller to remove it completely along with its orphaned components. Then if its successful, try installing Paint.NET 4 using the install package that you can download from the link above. This will hopefully do a fresh install of Paint.NET 4 and resolve any issues.

Edited by Ishi
  • Upvote 1

You deleted the Paint.NET program folder from C:\Program Files and it left more orphaned files and Registry keys that makes the computer think that its still there and won't let you re-install it.

The solution I will try is to do a System Restore. Type system restore on the Start Menu search box. Use System Restore to restore your computer to a date before you deleted the Paint.NET folder. You would be unlucky if your system protection is disabled or if you don't have any restore points. If not, try using CCleaner to delete these orphaned junk files left then attempt another install of Paint.NET but try installing version 4 this time.

If you did manage to restore, do not use the updater feature on Paint.NET but instead try downloading the latest beta version of Paint.NET 4 provided here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27954-paintnet-40-beta-build-5168/

It should be on a ZIP file.

If ever you want to force uninstall Paint.NET, you can use a free program called Revo Uninstaller to remove it completely along with its orphaned components. Then if its successful, try installing Paint.NET 4 using the install package that you can download from the link above. This will hopefully do a fresh install of Paint.NET 4 and resolve any issues.

Revo Uninstaller worked!!! Thank you @Ishi ! You're my hero!

Edited by PowerUser

... After that I deleted the Paint.NET folder...

Trying to delete an application by removing the visible bits is just bad. Like crossing the streams (GhostBusters). It's akin to a surgeon removing your head because you have a headache. Don't do it that way. 'Mkay? :D