Circumference of Tools & The Edge of the Paint

Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Hello. My post here is about the paintbrush tool and the eraser tool.

I am used to the circumference of the paint tool being my guideline of where the edge of the paint will be when drawing with the tool, likewise the same is with the eraser tool when erasing. I realize the edge of the paint recedes based on the pressure, which by the way I love the pressure feature, but even for harder pressure settings the tool's circumference no longer represents where the edge of the paint is.

I am wondering, is it meant to be this way?

Here is a picture made from screen shots compiled into a single image, I hope it will clarify what I am talking about.

ToolsCircumferenceampThePaintEdge_zps13e

I am unable to reproduce this problem. 100% hardness produced exactly the same size circle as my brush indicator when I tried it. Does this only happen at specific brush sizes?

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Thanks for your reply. :)

The brush size used in my samples is a size 100, as I wanted things to be a good size for the the example. I have noticed the issue on other sizes, but I'm sorry I haven’t checked to see how things are in every size. I will try to do so and share what I learn.

If there is any specific information which might be needed, please let me know. I will try to provide it.

All I can think of is make sure you're using the latest version...

Are there specific steps to take to cause this, or is it always like that?

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I have noticed this brush and paint edge thing since my first try with paint.net 4.0 regardless of updating with each newer release.  Despite me downloading the releases, I honestly am not sure how to know which version I am using. I did check for an update just now though using the "check for update" option and it said I have the latest update. I think these numbers might be my version, but I'm not positive and I don't know what they mean.

versionnumber_zpsb8563409.jpg

To your other question, the examples shown, simply show how the paint brush and eraser tools function for me. Which is why I am asking if it is meant to be this way. I am playing with the different sizes now, and it seems on small brushes there are paint pixels outside of the paint brush's circumference. There doesn't seem to be a size where the paint edge matches with the paint brush's circumference.

Below is an image of my settings for the paintbrush tool and a sample of pictures of the different sizes. Various zooms were used for sake of visibility.

BarSample_zps4fc9cd84.jpg

PaintBrushedgeexamples_zps3dac564b.jpg

• 3 months later...

Ok, so I realize this post is old now, but this issue is still relevant for me even with the 4.0 updates. I'm pretty sure it must be my poor little PC if I'm the only one experiencing this. So, what specs would you guys need from me in order for me to pinpoint the cause?

I'm using Windows 7 32bit. Thanks. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the response. :)

Unfortunately I'm not very tech savvy at all, so I don't really know what High DPI would be nor how to fix/change it. However, I am assuming my PC or PC Monitor is what's at fault here?

To help figure my issue out, I learned about the Copy to Clipboard in the diagnostics tab in Paint.Net 4's settings, so here are my PC specs from it :

Hidden Content:
Application    paint.net 4.0 (Final 4.0.5288.36565)
Build Date    Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Hardware accelerated rendering (GPU)    False
Animations    False
Language    en-US

OS    Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601.65536)
.NET Runtime    4.0.30319.18444
Physical Memory    1,790 MB

CPU    AMD Athlon II X2 215 Processor
    Architecture    x86 (32-bit)
    Process Mode    32-bit
    Speed    ~2700 MHz
    Cores / Threads    2
    Features    DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

Video Card    AMD 760G  
    Dedicated Video RAM    253 MB
    Dedicated System RAM    0 MB
    Shared System RAM    639 MB
    Vendor ID    0x1002
    Device ID    0x9616
    Subsystem ID    0x360017AA
    Revision    0
    LUID    0x00008A39
    Flags    None
    Outputs    1

If Screen Shots are needed of anything, just let me know. :)

UPDATE*

Half Fix
Alright, so after the tip by mentioning the DPI, I went hunting for some info on what High-DPI is related to and how to change it. I found this tutorial about making text and icons larger/smaller, which simply guided me to turning my display's text/icon % from a 125% view back to a 100% view.
The Guide : http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/443-dpi-display-size-settings-change.html
Results? Yay! A one click paint matches the circumference.

However, there is still an issue.
The changing of my display's general text/icon % was only a half solution. I say half because the paint still doesn't match the circumference when the brush is moving, regardless of mouse speed I might add.

Circumference_ThePaint_MovingBrush_zps56
Feedback
There is now a down side because of this need to change the display's text/icon %. Having the % set to 100% makes everything tiny (text, task bar, web browser user interfaces, and more).
So, I did a test. Instead of using my display's text/icon % to make things easier to see, I attempted to change my screen resolution to make things bigger again. Unfortunately to maintain my resolution's aspect ratio, my entire screen became too big and blurry. So for me that wasn't a good alternative to make text and stuff easier to see.

Which means, text will have to be tiny or I have to grow accustomed to the brush type tools being un-unified in how they function.

Brush Comparison With Other Programs
I do not have this issue in Paint.NET 3.5 at all, my text/icon % does not appear to effect brush tool functionality, and 3.5's brush is one of the most accurate brushes I've used.
I have tested the brush tools in other photo editing programs too, GIMP and Serif's PhotoPlus. The paint to their brushes when moving isn't perfect either, as they also have small amounts of space between the paint's edge and the brush's circumference. There is a difference between their spacing and 4.0's though. For their space it's more of the paint is trying to keep up with the drawing pace as it's responsiveness is quick and the space is small, while 4.0 simply feels off as the circumference is pretty far ahead of the actual paint and there is a very clear visual difference. For these other programs the text/icon % doesn't seem to show much effect to their tools' functionality.

Overall, this is not meant to lead to any discouragements, I am simply sharing/reporting what I have tried, seen, tested and experimented with. Despite this issue with the brush type tools, I still love Paint.NET (all versions). This issue is a bit of an annoyance as it hinders precise and accurate painting, but it's something I can live with and it won't keep me away from the new Paint.NET 4.0. ;)

Thanks.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles