Hide Selections Edges

Felix The Ghost

I just downloaded and tried the Paint.net 4 Beta and though I like the improvements, I am surprised there still isn't an option (that I see) to toggle selection edges.

I did a forum search and it seems some users don't see the use of it, but as a Photoshop user I can personally attest to the convenience of hiding them when you have already made your selection and are experimenting with adjustments within the selection (e.g. color adjustments) It gives you a more accurate visual of the render while you are in the effect window before it is finalized.

Currently in Paint.net I can make a selection, copy its contents into a new layer, then open the desired adjustment/filter window(s) without a selection as it will affect the entire layer (which only contains what we pasted in)

But that is a lot of work around for what could be as easy as a keyboard shortcut and/or a menu item in View->Selection Edges

And in implementation, I cannot imagine it being hard to add logic to NOT render the edges. You can even unset the option when the selection is modified if we are afraid it will confuse some users.

I would like to see this implemented in the next beta release (assuming it's not there and I missed it)

Thanks.

And in implementation, I cannot imagine it being hard to add logic to NOT render the edges. You can even unset the option when the selection is modified if we are afraid it will confuse some users.

If you're not a programmer, you have no possible way of knowing how easy or hard it would be to implement.  If you are a programmer, you have no idea what Rick's program architecture is.  That statement has been used many times on this forum, and it's never a good way to get a favorable view of your request.

Just a friendly note.  You should consider that when writing feature requests.  :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I actually am.  Professionally so.  And I wasn't the original person to say that on this forum; the original was Rick (who wrote this program and is a programmer for Microsoft), and was corroborated by BoltBait (who is a professional programmer for Intel).  YOU must not be a programmer.  :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I stand by my original statement.

Use your status to get me the source code or refrain from posting in threads you have no possible way of knowing how contribute to :-)

How about you just stop acting like an entitled brat. You're talking down to a moderator and commanding him to go fetch you the source code because you're apparently sooooo much better than him? What is wrong with you? I don't care if you're the best programmer on the planet, or if you are just arrogant or delusional about it, but that is not a way to treat people. You cannot just walk in here acting like you're some kind of savior who is going to bless us with your magical code contributions.

Thread Locked

• Upvote 4

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg