Stylised Planet Tutorial

MikeRobe

Hello everyone, and welcome to my first tutorial. It should show you how to make a stylised planet, as I have finally remembered how to do it after much time and deliberation.

You should be aiming for a planet with this kind of style:

terra1.png

Thanks to barbieq25, download it here!

attachicon.gifStylised Planet Tutorial.pdf

***As a more reliable way, you may want to use darker land colours or use the darken blend mode with the land and land variation layers.

***For the clouds, you may want to change the layer opacity so you can see the land underneath. I may have forgotten this in the tutorial... :/

Enjoy!

-MikeRobe

Edited by MikeRobe

signature.png

:cookie-chocolate: I baked another one...

The images...aren't showing up for me. Try making it a pdf, or just do the work and upload the images.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

It's a Word Doc so you should be able to save it as a PDF. 

Yep, you can. I've done it & will attach it. 

Stylised Planet Tutorial.pdf

That was harder done than said, let me tell you :D

I did learn something in the process :P

Thanks MikeRobe!

Edited by barbieq25
Dyslexic keyboard, fixed typo.
  • Upvote 1
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

@Mike: Please upload a demo image showcasing the tutorial result. Users shouldn't really be asked to download a file unless it's what they need. An example image would show them that.

StylisedPlanet2jpeg800X600.jpg

This is an excellent tutorial and I enjoyed learning from it. I had a little trouble with the clouds when I first made them. When I used dents the clouds extended beyond the planet and didn't curve around the planet. I also didn't go to overlay on the land and ocean variation layers because for some reason when I did it took the shading away? I was wondering if you could tell me what I might have done wrong. I want to keep at this tutorial and improve on what I've learned and get it better. Next time I want to add some tan (beach) outline to some of the land mass. I think that would make it look even better. Thanks for any input and suggestions and thanks for sharing this great tutorial.

cweber54logo3NeonMushrooms.jpg

As for your clouds, did you make sure they were flat, and then Shape3D them? If that fails then just add some more clouds. I think overlay will dim it a bit, so just feel free to mess around with other blending modes if you feel overlay isn't working. You can use darker 'cloud' rendering if you think that that might stand out better.

EDIT: I've added some things to the main post, underneath the download place. See if those can help you! :)

Edited by MikeRobe

signature.png

As for your clouds, did you make sure they were flat, and then Shape3D them? If that fails then just add some more clouds. I think overlay will dim it a bit, so just feel free to mess around with other blending modes if you feel overlay isn't working. You can use darker 'cloud' rendering if you think that that might stand out better.

EDIT: I've added some things to the main post, underneath the download place. See if those can help you! :)

Thanks MikeRobe. I'll have another go at it tomorrow. Looking forward to trying your ideas. I want to add colors for sure and I'll get the hang of the cloud thing. I'm sure it will be awesome and thanks again for the reply.

StylisedPlanet3pngaddedcolorsandglowneon

Here's another take with some added colors and glow. I'm getting the idea and I'll keep at it. Thanks!

StylisedPlanet5JPEG800X600.jpg

Another take on your tutorial I tried today. I like to think I'm improving. Looks better every time! This time I went a little easier on all the colors and went without the object outline on the land and added some smudge when I first colored in the land. I was after a kind of sand bar/beaches effect. It's looking way less cartoon-like and lots more realistic then my first attempts. Next time I want to do more with the ocean and try to get some aqua blue lagoon effects going. It's been a fun learning process.

Edited by cweber54

Nice, make sure you have a lot of zoom blur and you could even use darker green if you want, I've noticed the result of the tutorial it's a bit light, unlike the supposed outcome. ;D

Edited by MikeRobe

signature.png

Great job Daniels! I like the shading and the stars are awesome. How do you get those great stars in your background. Check out my attempts (post #9) if you would and I'm always open to suggestions. Thanks, cweber54

Edited by cweber54

Thanks, cweber! You've got some pretty nice attempts yourself. I use the Random Shape Fill plugin (in the Pyro Pack) to do all my stars nowadays. I set the shape to four-point stars and my size fairly small (2-5px in this case). I feel it gives them a bit more "shine" than static can provide.