Sign in to follow this  
welshblue

Cliff Rock

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download the PDF

This tutorial has been rewritten by @Ego Eram Reputo 1 June 2015. (New images added as the old ones had been lost).

Plugin Needed: Diffuse

Cliff_rock_9.png

1. Set the Primary color to #729FCF (light blue)

2. Set the Secondary color to #204A87 (mid blue)

Set_secondary_coor.png

3. Run Effects > Render > Clouds with Scale:415, Roughness:0.60.

Cliff_rock2.png

4. Run Effects > Stylize > Diffuse on the cloud filled layer. Use the defaults for everything except the last (4th color) slider - set this to 4.

CliffRock3.png

5. Add a new layer :AddNewLayer: above the first.

6. Press F4 to open the new layer properties dialog. Set the Blend Mode to Difference

cliffrock4.png

7. On the new layer, run Clouds again. Press the Reseed button until you get a combination you like the look of.

cliff_rock5.png

8. Flatten the two layers.

9. Repeat steps 5, 6, 7 & 8. Instead of setting the Blend mode to Difference in step 6, try Color Dodge or Color Burn instead.

Color Dodge will tend to brighten the texture. If too much, lower the opacity to tone it down.

Cliff_rock6.png

Color Burn will darken the texture. Again, lower the opacity to tone this darkening down.

Cliff_rock7.png

10. Keep adding new layers & playing with Blend Modes until you get nice results.

Note: Color Burn & Color Dodge will pull the coloring towards your Primary/Secondary colors.

Overlay blend mode with a dark grey/mid grey cloud gives some particularly nice results.

Use Adjustments > Brightness & Contrast to add to the mood. (Contrast +10 should do it).

11. Correct the colors with Adjustments > Hue & Saturation if required.

Cliff_rock8.png

Final texture

Cliff_rock_9.png

Rock On!

• Upvote 6

I can see it on one of your backgrounds ;)

It's a quick, versatile fix ... Displacement gives cool results too

Thinking about it - maybe it should be moved to the Stone 101 thread ?

Edited by welshblue

What ?  Not stone dead ... ?

Maybe we should revive it ... community based tuts' seems such a positive thing to have

Awesome effect! I have never understood diffuse, so it's been useful  ;) Thanks, Welsh.

My attempt reminds me of gold more than stone, but ah well.

GoldStoneTexture_zps063c0936.png

• Upvote 2

<Scientific Analysis>

I used to make rock textures with Height to normal map, so I thought I would do a side-by-side with this.

The Test:

I started out by creating the vanilla textures, and then adding a second layer that would lend colour to the image. I used the same color texture for both rock textures, and used the blend mode I thought looked the best.

Height field to normal map, texture blend mode set to multiply:

3Pi7i6o.png

Diffuse with texture blend mode on Overlay:

N81DHUt.png

Diffuse with texture blend mode on Color Dodge:

URVuXI5.png

My conclusion:

The diffuse method I think has a more realistic texture for more blend modes than height to normal. Height to normal had some that were too shiny. I think I'll be using this method from now on :)

</Scientific Analysis>

• Upvote 1

I agree, but this tutorial deserves it's own thread.  Post it in Stone 101 as well?

Agreed, though maybe just posting this image and a link in Stone 101, rather than the entire tutorial?  I think that might reduce some confusion.

Agreed, though maybe just posting this image and a link in Stone 101, rather than the entire tutorial?  I think that might reduce some confusion.

Y'know what ... I never thought of just posting a link.  My wife is right - for an intelligent man I'm really dense sometimes

Nice results Rocky and Daniels ... I found the same with Height to Normal ... but I'm going to see if I can combine them both - there's got to be a great marriage there somewhere 

Awesome effect! I have never understood diffuse, so it's been useful  ;) Thanks, Welsh.

My attempt reminds me of gold more than stone, but ah well.

GoldStoneTexture_zps063c0936.png

Rocky I love it! The gold outcome is similar to a background I like to use. Yours has exceptional depth & texture. 

can't find stone 101 - directions please...thank you

On the top right hand corner there is a search box.

Type your search query in there - e.g. Stone 101...

Just to the right of the text box is another box that when clicked you can select where you would like to search in. (The options box is not very obvious.)

Then you can trawl through a heap of results. You may need to refine the search query.

In this case the hits were numerous but luckily it was in the top ten: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/12428-stone-101-community-tutorial/page-2?hl=%2Bstone+%2B101#entry399776

Hope this helps you :D

Rocky I love it! The gold outcome is similar to a background I like to use. Yours has exceptional depth & texture. 

Thanks, bbq  :) Glad you like it!

On the top right hand corner there is a search box.

Type your search query in there - e.g. Stone 101...

Just to the right of the text box is another box that when clicked you can select where you would like to search in. (The options box is not very obvious.)

Then you can trawl through a heap of results. You may need to refine the search query.

In this case the hits were numerous but luckily it was in the top ten: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/12428-stone-101-community-tutorial/page-2?hl=%2Bstone+%2B101#entry399776

Hope this helps you :D

You can also use http://www.searchpaint.net.  I usually find better results there.  For instance, the correct Stone 101 thread is the first result on searchpaint.net.

• Upvote 1

I used C1A100 & FFE877 for the colours. My canvas was 2 x 1920 x 1080 as that is my screen size & I mostly always work in larger canvases.

I increased the size of the clouds a bit to suit. I merged the 2 layers & then did clouds again with the blend mode at reflect & got this fiery effect:

th_StoneTexturereduced_zps7ea45087.png Please feel free to use as you like :D Not sure if this is a reflection of the heatwave we have been having :P

Awesome B'.  There's a photoshop tutorial for lava text I want to do but didn't want to 'cheat' with outside textures - your way means I can try it ;)

Is there anything better than learning from your own tutorial ?  (Well there is, I'm not thattt sad ... I meant in PDN world)

Edit * Forgetting my manners.

Hey Red' ... glad you found it useful mate.  I want to start spending a bit more time with Blender, but I can't get to grips with it.  Thanks

Edited by welshblue

Great tute. By adding another layer with text and gaussian blurring it about 40,then merging with the cloud layer before diffusing comes up with this.   ;)

rocktute-1_zps103b4aec.png

• Upvote 4

That's really impressive Skullbonz! +1

- Was the text bevelled before the blur and what blend option?

It looks like a complex bit of displacement - great (useful) results if is a simple method!.

(I always find concave text problematic).