"Unexpected error" and "I/O Error" when trying to save

daft inquisitor

This just started today on my computer. While trying to save files, it would give me an "Unexpected error" or "I/O error" when trying to save an image. After closing out of the program and trying to open the image I was trying to edit, the image became corrupted. I was able to download the image again, and tried this three times to the same effect. I even tried opening a blank image and saving that, only to get the same error message.

After googling, I found some old (about 3 years ago) posts with the same error messages, but they were from issues I wasn't dealing with (my image was 800 x 800, so the "large image" issues weren't the problem). I confirmed I was on the most updated version, 3.5.11. After googling around a bit more, I found the 4.0 Alpha and tried to install that to see if it would fix it. I still have the issue, but now I have a detail report on the error message. Could someone help me figure out what the problem is? Here's the full error message:

System.IO.IOException: The mounted file system does not support extended attributes.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.WriteCore(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)

at System.IO.FileStream.FlushWrite(Boolean calledFromFinalizer)

at System.IO.FileStream.Flush(Boolean flushToDisk)

at PaintDotNet.IO.GuardedStream.Flush() in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Base\IO\GuardedStream.cs:line 273

at PaintDotNet.Controls.DocumentWorkspace.<>c__DisplayClass30.<DoSave>b__28() in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\DocumentWorkspace.cs:line 2939

at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Try(Action f) in D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 171

None of that helped. I know it's not a file system issue, because I've used Paint.net before on the computer, and was able to save just fine with it.

I notice in a few of those lines, it's trying to access a directory on my D: drive. My D: drive is an optical media drive, empty. I'm trying to save the file to my desktop, so I don't understand why it would even be trying to do anything with D:.

Edited by daft inquisitor

• 5 months later...

None of that helped. I know it's not a file system issue, because I've used Paint.net before on the computer, and was able to save just fine with it.

I notice in a few of those lines, it's trying to access a directory on my D: drive. My D: drive is an optical media drive, empty. I'm trying to save the file to my desktop, so I don't understand why it would even be trying to do anything with D:.

I had the same problem - very annoying!

But your comment above gave me an idea and I think I have found some workaround to this issue:

1. Create a Virtual disk on your hard drive (In windows 7: via computer management | Disk management) 

2. Assign a mount folder path to the drive - name it with "D"

3. Open Paint.net and save your file to "D:\"

That's it - you can now save any file in any format.

You will still need to copy these files to other locations so I really hope they will find a real solution to this bug.