paint.net 4.0 alpha build 5105 is now available

Rick Brewster

Error 1:

The "Finish selection" shortcut Ctrl+D undoes the last pixel movements when pressed too fast after the last movement.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Draw some line so you can see if anything moves.
  2. Hit the following key combinations in a row:
  • Ctrl+A
  • M
  • Arrow key left (multiple times)
  • Ctrl+D

Expected behaviour: the area is deselected but stays moved.

What really happens: the selection springs back to where it was before being deselected.

Reproducible: always.

You have to wait until pdn adds "Finish movement" before hitting "Ctrl+D". I think Ctrl+D should finish movement by default.

Error 2:

After pasting, Ctrl+Arrow keys does not translate by 10 until Ctrl was released once.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Draw something.
  2. Select a part of your drawing.
  3. Hit Ctrl+C
  4. Hit Ctrl+V and keep Ctrl pressed
  5. Hit arrow keys

Expected behaviour: The pasted image is translated by 10 pixels per arrow key press.

What really happens: The pasted image is translated by 1 pixel per key press.

Reproducible: always.

If you release the Ctrl-Key and then press it again between steps 4 and 5 it works.

Thanks and greetings,

Chris

Edited by LWChris

4.0 alpha is working well on my Windows 7 64bit laptop. Thanks for the great app. that does so much.

However, can 'Zoom' be moved back to upper menus (as 3.x versions). It is a lot of extra mouse/touchpad work to go across the screen from menus to bottom status bar, and is also counter-intuative as other selections are done at upper menus.

Also, I would favor a locked/anchored toobars, rather than floating (as is in both 3.xx and new 4.0). To me its annoying to pan to an edge and then needing to move toolbars out of the way. I rather lose some screen space for the toolbars or use pulldown menu. Or perhaps keep the floating toolbars, and allow panning a little ways past the canvas edge so that edges of canvas can be in center of zoom area and allow room for floating toolbars.

Thanks

Edited by madstrk

One minor request?

Is it possible to have an option to disable the "dancing ants" animation? I (and others) am kinda used to a selection that does not have the dancing ants animation.

Thanks for the wonderful software.

Can't install? Extracted from zip and ran as administrator (don't actually have UAC on).

I have W7x64 with SP1 installed. Never had this issue with any other program I know require SP1.

post-134702-0-94059600-1388166078_thumb.

One minor request?

Is it possible to have an option to disable the "dancing ants" animation? I (and others) am kinda used to a selection that does not have the dancing ants animation.

Thanks for the wonderful software.

Un-check "animations" in Settings

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Any chance the "Copy to Clipboard" button could be extended to the Plugin Errors tab in the Settings UI?

Ran into this

Hidden Content:

Repro: Run BoltBait's Polygon/Stars plugin and fiddle with the size control.

Downloaded it in Feb 2013.  You've updated it haven't you? I'll go download the latest one...

Yup.  Fixed.  Sorry to be a bother.

• Upvote 1

pardon me, I would like to ask something

-about the name of this software, it is "Paint.NET" or "paint.net"? as last version(3.5.11) using "Paint.NET" and this alpha and also the logo of this forums using "paint.net"

The name of the program is "Paint.NET". The lowercase version is a stylization. The".NET" is all caps as it refers to the framework on which the program is built, which is itself also uppercase.

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Any chance the "Copy to Clipboard" button could be extended to the Plugin Errors tab in the Settings UI?

You can select and copy the text already - it's a standard text box (e.g. Ctrl+A Ctrl+C for select all and then copy). Or is that not sufficient in some way?

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Not in the top panel you can't.  I can only select one line at a time. 

I tried multi-selecting with mouse and CTRL and CTRL + A without success.   I want to copy the list of plugin names.

I really like the effects during drag and drop of a layer in the layers window. Nice job :-)

What I'm missing is scrolling of the window content if the mouse is on top or bottom of the window while dragging.

Ctrl+Move Up/Down of a layer moves the layer to the top or the bottom but the view of the layers jumps to the oposite side (means the selected layer is not visible). After the move to top click one of the layers in the middle shows sometimes a background using the hover color.

Edited by midora

midoras signature.gif

I made a screenshot with alt + print of some window, opened paint.net (wasn't open before) and as soon as the window appeared i pressed ctrl + alt + v to paste the screenshot into a new image.

Unexpectedly paint.net crashed, but i wasn't able to reproduce it.

pdncrash.txt

System.NullReferenceException: Referencia a objeto no establecida como instancia de un objeto.

en PaintDotNet.Rendering.GeometryList.Combine(GeometryList lhs, GeometryCombineMode op, GeometryList rhs) en D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Core\Rendering\GeometryList.cs:línea 436

en PaintDotNet.Tools.MagicWand.MagicWandTool.CreateSelectionGeometry(MagicWandToolChanges changes, AsyncSelectionToolCreateGeometryContext context, CancellationToken cancellationToken) en D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Tools\MagicWand\MagicWandTool.cs:línea 384

en PaintDotNet.Tools.AsyncSelectionToolBase`2.<CreateSelectionOnBackgroundThread>b__9() en D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Tools\AsyncSelectionToolBase`2.cs:línea 313

en PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[TRet](Func`1 f) en D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:línea 136

Getting this while selecting multiple objects with magic wand and multiple selection tool (add ) . Happens with +3 files at once

Also, debug give advice a few times but if you try to move mouse it starts to show error again

If you try to save file befor exit after crach (with shortcut) you get another message ( a funnny one ). Attached

error log.txt

Edited by 4goTTen21

Undo of layer up does not set the selection to the layer moved back.

It wrks right for move down, move top and move bottom.

midoras signature.gif

Some observations about animation of selection.

1. Open paint.net, Select all: Windows Task Manager shows 3% (the dancing ants)

2. Copy, paste: Windows Task Manager shows 22-25%

3. Switch off animations:  Windows Task Manager shows 0-1%

4. Switch on animations again:  Windows Task Manager shows 5-7%

5. Deselect: Windows Task Manager shows 0-1%

Repeating step 2 to 5 results in the same values.

midoras signature.gif

In PDN4 the alignment of the checkerboard background has changed. In 3.5 it was top/left always.

Typically if I am editing an icon then I set the zoom to 800%. In 3.5 this meant one pixel mapped to the size of one square in the checkerboard.

Now there is no more a mapping and switching on the pixel grid makes it even more difficult to see what you are painting.

midoras signature.gif

The pixel grid always goes away when switching between two different images.  And since there's no keyboard shortcut, it's been a bit of a burden having to re-enable it frequently.

• Open or create two images, and zoom into both 400%.
  • While viewing the first image, turn on the pixel grid from the view menu.
  • View the second image by selecting the thumbnail at the top.
  • Now go back to the first image by selecting its thumbnail.
  • Pixel grid is turned off.

I've also had some hard-to-describe/reproduce issues with my laptop's trackpad.  It kind of feels like unusual interactions between the trackpad driver's delay for determining how to interpret the incoming data, and paint.net's new asynchronous behavior.  But it might be purely due to the drivers, and so unfixable within paint.net.  And a trackpad is not an ideal input device for a paint program anyway, so I need to just buy a mouse and move on.  But for reference's sake:

For example, switching to a different tool using the keyboard shortcut and then tap-clicking or double-tap dragging really quickly after the key press sometimes fails to register the trackpad action.  I have to pause after switching tools.

Another one I recall involved a few clumsy moment where I clicked on a dialog (the color dialog I think), but then quickly and accidentally dragged out over the canvas, and since I had the line tool selected, paint.net decided to draw a line from my starting point under the dialog to my ending point out in the exposed portion of the canvas.  It seemed like the UI didn't do an immediate hit test to determine which UI element was clicked, but instead delayed the hit test (perhaps the driver's doing), but paint.net still knew the starting position somehow.

Everything else I can think of right now falls into feature-request territory, so I'll let those simmer.

Bug report:  (diagnostics below)

- When you make a "selection", "move/resize the selection" and then do a "Crop to Selection", it creates an extra pixels width/height.

- When you rotate a "selection", it add some strange objects at each selection line markers  (see attached image)

Other comments:

Thank you for the best paint software I ever used ... and I tried a few during my 20+ years of developing :)

Diagnostics info:

Application paint.net 4.0 (α 4.0.5105.6977)
Build Date den 23 december 2013
Expiration Date den 17 mars 2014

Hardware accelerated rendering (GPU) True
Animations False
Language en-US

OS Windows 8.1 (6.3.9600.0)
.NET Runtime 4.0.30319.34003
Physical Memory 4 026 MB

CPU Intel® Core2 Duo CPU     P9500  @ 2.53GHz
    Architecture x64 (64-bit)
    Process Mode 64-bit
    Speed ~2527 MHz
    Cores / Threads 2
    Features DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4_1

Video Card Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)
    Dedicated Video RAM 64 MB
    Dedicated System RAM 0 MB
    Shared System RAM 1 631 MB
    Vendor ID 0x8086
    Device ID 0x2A42
    Subsystem ID 0x9025104D
    Revision 7
    LUID 0x000072E1
    Flags None

Video Card Microsoft Basic Render Driver
    Dedicated Video RAM 0 MB
    Dedicated System RAM 0 MB
    Shared System RAM 256 MB
    Vendor ID 0x1414
    Device ID 0x008C
    Subsystem ID 0x00000000
    Revision 0
    LUID 0x000073EA
    Flags 2

post-131042-0-86559500-1389288162_thumb.

Edited by PellePenna

Which is a "driver problem":

1. When you make a "selection", "move/resize the selection" and then do a "Crop to Selection", it creates an extra pixels width/height.

2. When you rotate a "selection", it add some strange objects at each selection line markers

Updated:

After turning off "Hardware accelerated rendering" issues #2 is solved.

Edited by PellePenna

I think I found a bug with the way the new "Polygons and Stars" are created that is easy to duplicate and check. Create a true square and a true circle within it. Then create a new layer with an identical circle or square, but before saving start switching between the other available "Polygons and Stars" shapes.

Hexagon, Polygon, Three Point Star, and Six Point Star all use the square to calculate their shapes, NOT the Circle. I think all the shapes should fit within the circle to be considered "True" or "Regular" forms of the shape.  Especially the Hexagon and Polygon which are definitely not "True" as they do not have the expected equal angles.

I am so happy you are continuing to develop this great program. Keep up the good work and keep the alphas coming!