Download Page - are you kidding me?

groo

I've been a long time user of Paint.net, and to be honest I would fine paying for it.  Heck, I used to buy PSP before Jasc sold it.  I digress though.

My comments are about your download page. How can you possibly justify the deceptive banner ads?  I've seen a lot of other projects do this (and much worse)- but a product as old and respected as Paint.NET, I seriously don't understand.  You are doing this at the expense of your users who accidentally click on the wrong link and download something they did not intend to.  How can you feel good about that???

Boo. 

Edited by groo

You might be ok paying for it, but I had no means of paying until just a few months ago. Thankfully, Rick was nice enough to offer Paint.net free of charge, so I've had the privilege of using it for over six years.

Point being, many users started with Paint.net because it was and is free. Ad revenue helps keep it that way.

Besides, all you have to do to avoid the ads is read the words. Or download Adblock. It's really easy. And free.

• Upvote 3

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Rick's program, Rick's decision.  I lean toward your side, but it's not my place to make the call.  He needs to make money in order to keep this program free.  Maybe if more people donated, he'd be able to keep the entire site ad free.  ;-)

• Upvote 3

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I don't know that THAT is necessarily true.  :-)  I looked at the download page after a few years away from it and had to do a few doubletakes myself.

Keep in mind, Rick did not personally choose the ads that appear there.  The ad server is the real jerk here.

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.