Alternative locations for plugins, palettes, ...

Hi,

Nowadays you see programs that install in the C:\users\[username]\AppData\Local\ or C:\Users[username]\AppData\Roaming\ folder, rather than c:\program files\.

I have mixed feelings about this, because it confuses me where a particular program is installed.

But I do understand the benefits.

Installation in c:\program files\ requires administrator rights, whereas installation in the AppData can be done without (administrator rights).

The same counts for pdn plugins. Currently they need to be placed in c:\program files\Paint.Net\plugins, which can only be done with administrator rights. In a strictly managed environment I'd need to ask my system administrator to help me add a few plugins to the pdn install folder structure. (Really, our system administrator can not be bothered with such trivial requests ;-)

But if there was a secundary location where plugins can reside, e.g. C:\users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Paint.Net\Plugins\

Then any (low-rights) user could add his own plugins to an existing Paint.Net installation without the involvement of an administrator. Wouldn't that be great?

Maybe such a scheme could be included in the upcoming PDN 4?

Edited by StephanP

Interesting idea, however I personally think the level of permission required is appropriate. You are adding potentially dangerous *.dll files after all.

I personally think the level of permission required is appropriate. You are adding potentially dangerous *.dll files after all.

I agree. DLL files typically include code that will be executed. There should be some level of protection taken when installing DLL files.

Now, what would be a good idea is that Paint.NET had some type of built-in Plugin Manager. Something that would allow searching for new plugins, one button downloading and installing them, and managing their visibility.

• Upvote 4