Camera flash effect?

Hi, I'm not really an artist or good with image manipulations, but I am learning how to create games on my own (using Unity3D currently) and have to create some basic art or animations myself when I can't find it available for free online, and I do that in paint.net.
Right now I'm working on an asteroids clone to further my learning and what I want to do is when the player ship spawns in the game, I want to have a little flash so that it doesn't look as if the ship just appears out of nowhere.
I figured that the closest thing to what I want looks like a camera flash and have been looking for this online but have yet found nothing. I've searched these forums, too, in both Plugins and the tutorials for creations and distortions/modifications but have also come up empty.
There was a plugin for a lens flare effect, but is not what I need, and one plugin that creates glitter/sparks, but that one seems to only work when you have a suitable image to work with, whereas I need something that creates this kind of flash by itself.

So TL;DR I'm looking either for some kind of tool to help me create a camera flash effect, or a tutorial that would explain how to do this and would appreciate it if somebody could point me in the right direction.

No problem! And thank RedOchre for writing the plugin like a champ :)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo