Seascape - rough seas using Furblur

Red ochre

Flur blur (sorry for the mistake) Furblur is a plugin with some extraordinarily varied possibilities.

Red ochre, thanks for sharing with us this plugin and also thanks  for the tutorial and for all your work that makes the PDN more wonderful software.

lKggMZt.png

Edited by xod
  • Upvote 1

rocky - glad you found it useful!

Midora - Interesting challenge - I will see if I can come up anything useful - but with your sig, I won't be able to teach you much!
I did make some general comments in this thread (post 4),http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/26297-creating-clouds/

but the linked examples were only rough experiments.

Yellowman - thanks! - I found your Youtube Pdn tutorials very informative and innovative - I recommend them to all.

Xod - Flur blur! - Fur blur! :)
I can forgive you when you say such flattering things and make such a good job of the tutorial! (that scooner really adds to the scene and a great wave texture too).

I am very pleased with Fur blur but it would not exist without Null54's help to get it working correctly. I am also grateful to all the advanced programmers that generously share their knowledge, either directly or by leaving source code. Particularly: EER, Midora (above), TechnoRobbo, Boltbait, illnab1024, Madjik, Sepcot and Rick.

I would recommend that everyone reads Boltbait's codelab tutorials - even if they never write a plugin it is very useful to know how they work.

• Upvote 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Awesome tutorial, I love it!

I'm pleased with my outcome, except for the foam, I think it could look better.

sPXAdwG.gif

Edit: 

Just had another idea.

The foam could look better here as well, but the image is pretty heavy already, so I'll stop here.

http://i.imgur.com/8Ik4y3a.gif

Edited by iClick
  • Upvote 1

KiWHZrw.png

Wow @RedOchre B) another simply amazing tutorial with an equally amazing plugin.  Took me 1/2 an hour to figure out why my Furblur did not have 'Wiggle', until I realised you'd updated it since my last download.

@WB - Tramadol is an evil pain killer :evillaugh: .  I just spent 3 weeks in a hospital in Liverpool, where each night I listened to the rantings and hallucinations of poor people taking this drug.  One man, convinced the nurses were robots trying to kill him, managed to get into a lift and make it out into the streets of Liverpool where the orderlies had to chase him and bring him back. 

Anyhow ................... my first attempt after a long spell away from PDN, with @Red's fabulous tutorial, with a little 'twist' of my own added at the end.  Thank you for your wonderful knowledge and these plugins thumbsup.gif   and congratulations on the PIN.

Seascapeat50_zps6e34a8cf.png

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

iClick - clever work with the animated Gif - your avatar looks good too!

Pixey - hope all went well health wise!
Interesting experiment with the sea texture - you're starting to get the look of waves breaking - I must try that.

Thanks (both) for posting your results. :)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Thank you Red ochre and barbieq25!

welshblue, sea movement is added (check the link), but it wasn't done the best. I'll re-do it sometimes probably. And thanks!

KiWHZrw.png

Well, it's been raining non-stop since I wrote this tut' - perhaps this will improve the weather! B)

BjcPCPn.png

Same idea as the tut, but with a few more plugins thrown at it.
(I wanted to explore Pixey's idea of including the fore-shore).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Nice one Red! If you get sick of the rain...send it our way downunder. Some parts are sizzling at over 45 deg C.

Love what you did with the foreshore & the happy colouring. It really reminds me of my favourite spot on the beach.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

• 2 weeks later...

Been away awhile, glad I revisited! This tut was amazing. Here's all I could really come up with...can't quite get the ship to blend in as much as I'd like.

IgHVeul.png

• Upvote 2

Hey that's a pretty good result Doomsayer! - thanks for posting. :star:

Perhaps try making the ship colours(or tones) a bit closer to the background colours - In general, the more distant things are... the more atmosphere the light has to travel through - that means distant things will take on the prevailing colour of the atmosphere - in this case grey, but it can be quite a bright colour (in a golden sunset for instance). Also contrast will tend to be less in more distant objects.

I think chopping the bottom of the boat off in a straight horizontal line may help it 'sit' more naturally on the sea. Your sea looks hauntingly calm (I like it!) - so a straightish line should look right at that distance.

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I'm enjoying working with this tut very much.  I'm a little confused at step #20 for some reason. Rectangle selecting opaque area then moving it down half way. I tried selecting the whole thing and then moving it but something seems to be going wrong. Everything before and after I get very well but this step has thrown me off. I do get the idea and I know I can get it but if you could give me a little help at this step I'll get it from there. Nice for me as basically a beginner trying some advanced tuts. It's the best way for me to improve. Thanks for your help and I'm loving your plugins! I'm looking forward to posting what I come up with but I want to get it right.

cweber54logo3NeonMushrooms.jpg

Hello cweber54 - glad you are enjoying my plugins! ;)

AH! - I have used the wrong icon - my bad - will correct it now! ( should be the rectangle select tool :RectangleSelectTool:not the rectangle tool :RectangleTool:)

O.K. - step 20: Click on the rectangle select tool :RectangleSelectTool:  in the tool bar.
Click and drag on the canvas to select most the 'sea' texture - the idea here is to avoid any transparent bits at the top or bottom (the chequer-board pattern) and also any bits where the 'tiling' is obvious. You should then see the selected area highlighted a pale blue color, with slowly flashing square 'nubs' or 'handles' along each side. Move your cursor over the top middle handle and click and drag it down - this should squeeze the texture down (not move the whole selection). You should probably also drag the handles at the edges of the selection out to the edges of the canvas too.

Hope that helps - if not, try to explain what you don't understand and I'll try to re-phrase it.

Best of luck.

PdnForumSig2.jpg

8b67ad9c-e6c7-46f1-bd55-c7c814963cbc.jpg

Thanks for your help! I am starting to get the idea. Still a little confused about exactly what to include when I use the rectangle select especially the second time but somehow I got it squared away in a round about way. Do I just include the cloud layer? It seems like I'm still missing something, not sure what. I'll keep at it and again thanks! This was a challenge for me but if I want to get better at PDN this is what I have to do. Thanks again for the inspiration!

Edited by cweber54
  • Upvote 2

Good work cweber54!, :star:

For someone new to Pdn this is a very good effort - well done.

Two small suggestions you are welcome to ignore - tutorials are only a starting point and you can interepret them any way that looks right to you.

1. On the sea layer it looks like you have applied Furblur with the direction setting in one direction only - I used the 'both directions' setting - nothing wrong with that, just different.

2. Generally clouds that are far away (nearer the horizon) are smaller. That is why I used rotate and zoom on the sky too. However the way you have done it looks like all the cloud is very close - which is quite possible at sea!

The colours and the gradients are all spot on! ;)

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Thanks RedOchre! I appreciate your help and suggestions! Your suggestions make a lot of sense and I'll give them a try on my next effort. I'm looking forward to that. Next I want to look into making planets. I see loads of tuts regarding planets so I thought I would give it a try. I started a moon project today, not ready to post yet for sure but the good thing is I'm learning a great deal about how to in PDN and most importantly having a great time with it. Again, you're an inspiration!!

PS Plugins like Gradients Galore are amazing! How do you guys think this stuff up! I thought Jazz was hard! Hahahahaha! Wow

I like your efforts too. Red is quite correct about the C & C. The sea looks really windswept & I like that. Tutes are a great way of accelerating your learning. Good to have you here & trying new things. 

• Upvote 1
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Thanks barbieq25! I appreciate your input and thanks for the encouragement and the welcome. This is a great forum and pdn has been fun and something different for me to enjoy. Most of my time is spent with music and related activities. It's always nice to do other things and meet new people. Your Gallery is awesome!

• Upvote 1

Nice tutorial Red. Gives a very atmospheric end result. Took me a couple of goes to get the settings and colours I preferred and I added a few steps here and there ( don`t ask which ones because there was a lot of trial and error and I can`t remember! ) . Anyway here is mine -

MoodySeas.jpg

• Upvote 6

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

That's breathtaking Goonie!  Just beautiful :star:

• 4 months later...