Saving backup copy

I'm editing a lot of files for web publishing. These files need to be saved as PNG files but I would like to be able to quickly keep a copy of the PDN file so that I can quickly edit the files if needed since I can't save an image with layers to a PNG without flattening first.

Is there a plugin that allows me to quickly do this? Perhaps a checkbox on the Save As... dialog to automatically save a copy of the file as a PDN to a designated location? Having to manually save each file twice is quite tedious.

I'm pretty sure the save dialog is a windows thing and not a paint.net thing...

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Here's how I work: When I open/create a new image I immediately Save it as a PDN with an appropriately descriptive filename. When I'm done editing/ceating I save it again. For large complex or time consuming works I also save periodically during editing.

Next I flatten and resize to the final dimensions (usually working at 2x size).

Finally Save As to PNG/WebP/JPG or whatever format you want.

I don't find this tedious at alll. Learning the keyboard shortcuts will make it even less painful for you.

I agree with EER and do the same when it comes to the filing system. Learning basic filing skills and using them to file in your electronic filing cabinet will make your work much easier. I have a couple of people who I made ads for and kept as PDN files. Within minutes of them emailing me or calling me I am sending them back the updated image. 

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Here's how I work: When I open/create a new image I immediately Save it as a PDN with an appropriately descriptive filename. When I'm done editing/ceating I save it again. For large complex or time consuming works I also save periodically during editing.

Next I flatten and resize to the final dimensions (usually working at 2x size).

Finally Save As to PNG/WebP/JPG or whatever format you want.

I don't find this tedious at alll. Learning the keyboard shortcuts will make it even less painful for you.

Ditto to both EER & Skullbonz.

Sometimes I will even save just a couple of the layers if I think I want to use that element again. I don't find it tedious at all but rather feel that it gives me more control.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

• 3 weeks later...

I have the similar question... I often have a pdn file open that is save, but need to save a jpg copy off.  However, I then may need to go back, invisible the current layer, and visible another to save as a different jpg file.  Since Paint.NET lands me on my newly saved jpg with the layers flattened, I have to close the jpg and re-open the .pdn file I was working on.  Having a Notepad++-like "Save Copy As" would be very beneficial.

You don't have to close/reopen the file.  Use the Undo function to rewind the flattening process...

1. Ctrl + Shift+ F flattens the image

2. File > Save As.... to save you JPG copy.

3. Ctrl + Z (Undo) until the flattening is reversed.

4. Continue editing.

5. When you want to save as a PDN use File > Save As... again to specify the original source file name and the PDN format.

• 4 years later...

I had this same question today.  I'm updating a layered image and testing in my app.  I make little tweaks and see what it looks like in my app.  I see the 3 step solution, that includes jumping between mouse and keyboard, but it would be more efficient if I had a single step.  Especially given I've done this 5 times in the last 20 minutes.  

One simple solution could be an "export" or "Save copy as" menu option, that remembers your last save format.  Ideally a single keystroke mapped to this option two would increase my productivity with this great app.

btw, is there a place to vote for features?

Thanks,

Paul

Hey Paul - welcome to the forum :)

Have you tried this combination?

Ctrl+Shift+C

Ctrl+Alt+V

Ctrl+S

(is this the 3-step you were referring to?)

Isn't the real 'problem' just the flattening when you saving a multi-layered 'work in progress' image as .png/.jpg or whatever? You have to do that to save it unless you're saving as .pdn.

What I do is simply employ the undo option afterwards just as described much earlier by Ego Eram Reputo and make the incremental change to the image I'm testing then save again. That is usually just a case of excluding one layer and enabling another. But it does become a little tedious when you have to do that multiple times as I often need to simply because of the types of jobs I'm using PDN for.

If you could save as .jpg/.png and not have it flatten the image file you have open in PDN or 'unflatten' it automatically after saving it would certainly save some time. 

I also find it mildly annoying that each time I want to save in such circumstances .pdn is back as the default save format and I have to re-select .png/,jpg or whatever again. Of course you need the format option menu but remembering the last save format would be helpful.

It is understandable why it is set up to work like that and I'll admit accidentally saving as a .pdn when I meant to save as a .png has actually been useful. But the option to choose another default save format at least during a particular session might be worth considering.

IHaveNoName.png