How to create fireworks?

Ishi

Hello, I still consider myself to be a Paint.NET newbie and I was wondering if anybody knows how to create fireworks.

New Year is coming in less than 2 days and I want to create a greeting card for the holiday. Wanna celebrate the New Year, with a big colorful splash of colors on the virtual sky.

So far, I have not yet found a way to create the classic firework explosion so can anyone help me or suggest something?

Thanks.

Zoom blur comes to mind...

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

yhsjjie-189.png

I used Random Shape Fill on a transparent layer for the stars.

Duplicated the star layer.

Bottom star layer + Trail 3D to create the 'paths'.  Then radial transparent gradient to fade out the edges of the paths.

~Make an elliptical selection

~Random shape fill with circles, max size 3 and min 1, fill color primary, no outline color

~Duplicate layer

~Zoom blur. I like to use zoom blur twice to make the lines fade on the ends.

~Use rotate/zoom to adjust the dots on the other layer so they rest on the ends of the blurry lines

Make more adjustments as needed.

• Upvote 1

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I'm useless at explaining but the basic idea is as follows:

1. Background layer - Gradients galore - black to dark blue.
2. new layer on top.
3. Draw some orange lines about 20 px wide - where you want the 'stars'.
4. Run 'Cobweb' - settings approx like this:
http://i.imgur.com/tgvh0ri.png
5. Duplicate layer
6. Adjustments - brightness/contrast - increase brightness.
7. Alpha threshold - increase lo threshold - to make the starts smaller
8. Change the top layer's blendmode to additive and reduce the opacity slightly.
9. Merge these 2 layers.
10. Duplicate layer.
11. Run PointBlur on middle layer with focus fully at the bottom edge and a long blur length ~ 80.
12. Merge stars layer with trail layer.
13. I distorted this layer with my own version of 'squirkle warp', but it should be possible with the version in my pack.
Try these settings:
http://i.imgur.com/6tnOq8F.png
14. Duplicate layer
15. Try using adjustments - Color Balance or Hue/Sat to make it a little redder.
16. use cobweb again.
17. set blend mode to additive.
18. Carry on experimenting - try duplicating a layer and adding a small Gaussian blur to give a glowing effect too.

Hope that gives you some ideas!

• Upvote 2

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Definitely a tutorial to follow.  :Tutorials:

Man, you should have published a tutorial on this or ask somebody willing to do so.

Best if its a short video tutorial AND to promote your plugin.

I'll try that Cobweb.

Thanks again.

Edited by Ishi
  • Upvote 1

Red Ochre - You're definitely NOT useless at explaining.  And if you don't post that as a tutorial, I'm banning you.*

*not really, but PLEASE do post it.  :)

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

My first official warning! :P:lol:

Regarding video tutorials - can anyone recommend a good free 'live' screen capture tool for this?

I could use Windows movie maker to animate screen shots I suppose, but 'real-time' would be better.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

My first official warning! :P:lol:

Regarding video tutorials - can anyone recommend a good free 'live' screen capture tool for this?

I could use Windows movie maker to animate screen shots I suppose, but 'real-time' would be better.

I have used Apowersoft Free Screen Recorder to record my video tutorial for MS Paint months ago.

I find it easy to use and saves the captured screen video to a .wmv format that you can then import and edit on Windows Movie Maker which I did. Try it out.

Its simple and not a hassle like other screen recording software I used.

Edited by Ishi

Thanks for the link Ishi - I've installed TR's suggestion - but if it's too complicated (quite likely!), then I will try Apowersoft.

Thanks TR - installed - now I've got to work out how to use it! - and yes I will subject you all to my musical (or not) offerings on the sound track :music::D

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Thanks TR - I've had a successful trial run with it - so not quite as intimidating as it first looked.
Good recommendation.
(MS do like their licensing agreements though - I think I've just signed my soul over!)

PdnForumSig2.jpg

(MS do like their licensing agreements though - I think I've just signed my soul over!)

Installing Microsoft software always mandates you install a LOT of things and components  that you don't really need (example; Windows Live Essentials, MS Office).

Edited by Ishi

I'm waiting for TechnoRobbo to make one that does this,lol

Is that a challenge Skull????

Here ya go enjoy it's in the Render Menus. Hit CTRL+F a few times and see how you can layer it.

The CodeLab Source Code

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=7155

The Plugin

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=7154

A Topic for this plugin was created here : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27671-trs-fireworks/#entry402351

Whoopee.png?raw=1

Edited by TechnoRobbo
  • Upvote 2

Go out there and be amazing. Have Fun, TR
TRsSig.png?raw=1
Some Pretty Pictures Some Cool Plugins

Wow,you are good and quick. Man if you don't get plugin dude of the year something is wrong. Thank you for this,I will have to go play now and see what I can do. ;)    

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

New Year's not only gonna end with a simple boom on this forum.

I smell the smoke of an impending showdown between some of the PDN greats in here.

So to those who would want to see the show, lets just stay at the side, gaze at the lights and enjoy the spectacle.

That...was impressive. You programmers never cease to amaze me.