Why are the Plugins separate and not just part of paint.net?

Some of the plugins are part of Paint.NET. For example, Ink Sketch was originally a plugin developed by me and Rick incorporated it into the official build.

But, Rick doesn't just add every single plugin as the code would be too much to maintain. Plus, every plugin takes time to load. So you'll only want to install the plugins you're likely to use.

Most plugins are in plugin packs. So, it should only take a few minutes to grab the ones you want.

This is probably a question Rick should answer instead of me, but as far as I can tell, plugins are only built-in if Rick feels they are essential. At this point, I think the built-in effects are pretty much set.

Keep in mind that the more plugins you have, the slower paint.net loads. That said, it is probably best to keep built-in effects at a minimum (just the essentials).

• Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

In addition, Rick (the person behind the core of Paint.NET) does not, by and large, develop any plugins.  They're made by members of the community, which makes Paint.NET a much more fully-featured program because it's collaborative.  Rick can't include them in the core program without their permission, and since there's a plugin system, why would he?

@lolunoob:  Have you followed the unzipping and unblocking steps listed on this page?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Yes I followed the steps and when I was opening them this came up "Opening these files might be harmful to your computer

YOUR internet settings blocked one or more files from being opened. Do you want to open these files anyway?"

As long as you are downloading them from this forum they are ok. 

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

As long as you are downloading them from this forum they are ok.

Agreed. Windows considers all DLLs to be potentially dangerous because they are powerful - they modify programs. That's what they're doing in Paint.NET. But some people code DLLs maliciously, and release "plugins" that are actually viruses.. That's why plugins on this forum are OK, but DO NOT install plugins from an outside source.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

"Crack team" = Ego Eram Reputo

Wha? Me?

That's got to go on my CV!

The plugins available at this message board are vetted by our crack team of software experts!

That's the second word I added to my vocabularies today reading this forum: First mutilated and now vetted. ;-)

There is always a risk if you are downloading software. But best is to get it from a trusted place.

midoras signature.gif

Don't worry about that message if you downloaded the plugin from this forum. Many of us have been downloading plugins here for years and we haven't come across a virus yet. If you are still unsure, stick to the pinned plugins and plugin packs. Those have received the most attention, and nobody has complained about viruses yet.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Once you break out in pixels there really is no hope.... :lol:

• Upvote 2

• Tactilis changed the title to Why are the Plugins separate and not just part of paint.net?