Crash on start

What a great way to join a forum - I can't do anything! When I try to start, I get a messagebox and the pdncrash.log file which I send in. I had v3.5.10 which I removed and installed .11 - still crashes.

I have looked all over hell for a search function in the forum because I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem (or why have a pdncrash.log?). My apologies if I missed it.

The box is a homebuilt running w7 pro 64 fully patched with 16 G of ram. I have used earlier versions of pdn on this box but had a bad experience last year with pdn and a very nasty adware installer.

Anybody know any quick fixes?

OK, here is the important part:

Exception details:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Paint.NET' is denied.

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Settings.CreateSettingsKey(Boolean writable) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\SystemLayer\Settings.cs:line 76

at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Settings.SetObject(String key, Object value) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\SystemLayer\Settings.cs:line 169

at PaintDotNet.Dialogs.ColorsForm.SwatchControl_ColorsChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Dialogs\ColorsForm.cs:line 1982

at PaintDotNet.Controls.SwatchControl.OnColorsChanged() in D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\SwatchControl.cs:line 55

at PaintDotNet.Dialogs.ColorsForm..ctor() in D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Dialogs\ColorsForm.cs:line 592

at PaintDotNet.Controls.AppWorkspace.InitializeFloatingForms() in D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\AppWorkspace.cs:line 1844

at PaintDotNet.Controls.AppWorkspace..ctor() in D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\AppWorkspace.cs:line 1143

at PaintDotNet.Dialogs.MainForm.InitializeComponent() in D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Dialogs\MainForm.cs:line 675

at PaintDotNet.Dialogs.MainForm..ctor(String[] args) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Dialogs\MainForm.cs:line 345

at PaintDotNet.Startup.StartPart4(String mutexName) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Startup.cs:line 428

at PaintDotNet.Startup.StartPart2() in D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Startup.cs:line 359

at PaintDotNet.Startup.Main(String[] args) in D:\src\pdn\pdn_3_5_11\src\PaintDotNet\Startup.cs:line 465

It looks to me that you have a permissions problem with your registry. This may be a left over problem from a virus/malware you've had previous.

Yes, thank you, now what? I'm a geologist and have coded in the past but the Windows registry is well beyond my expertise. I ran regedit and looked at the paintdotnet key but I have no idea what to do with it. Everything else I have installed on my computer works to my satisfaction but I'm a bit at sea, here. Before XP, I used to rebuild my OS every six months but this is the original W7 install (religiously patched) from when I built this box three years ago.

Should i just blow it off? PDN is not an important tool and i would rather spend my time with my rocks and my website than digging through the guts of a recalcitrant OS.

Have you tried running it as an administrator?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.