Establish effective dimension of an image

Hi everybody this is my first post here :)

lastly i'm creating graphics for some tshirts that i would to get printed but paint.net for example says that image xyz is 9cm wide when the truth is that if i import it to wordpad with 100% dimension it results 22cm

Now how can i know the real dimensions of an image? thanks :)

You have paint.net set to inches. (9 inches is about 22 centimeters)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

What do you have the dpi set to? (check in the resizing window)

Also, you can't really view images in wordpad. Did you mean microsoft word?

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

i'm creating graphics for some tshirts that i would to get printed but paint.net for example says that image xyz is 9cm wide when the truth is that if i import it to wordpad with 100% dimension it results 22cm

The "truth" here is that Wordpad isn't an image editor, it's a (very humble) word processor.

If paint.net says your image is Z cm in size at a DPI of Y then it is. Simply print it at that density and don't bother importing it into Wordpad.

You might find this tutorial helpful in explaining the difference in print resolution vs screen resolution DPI and YOU

The "truth" here is that Wordpad isn't an image editor, it's a (very humble) word processor.

If paint.net says your image is Z cm in size at a DPI of Y then it is. Simply print it at that density and don't bother importing it into Wordpad.

You might find this tutorial helpful in explaining the difference in print resolution vs screen resolution DPI and YOU

sorry i don't achieve to read all "dpi and you"

so if i modify dpi to make print size equal to screen size i ruin the image or it's ok?

You can try this:
Open your image with Paint from Windows OS  then Select All, Copy  and Paste in your WordPad document.
Or choose Edit>>Paste Special:
K3fUhQu.png

the image results 20 cm wide (before i said 22 because my plastic ruler isn't accurate xD)

uSXWg75.png

L.E.
If you insist on using WordPad:
You must Save as (JPEG, PNG, BMP) the PDN image and then open it (JPEG) with Paint from Windows.
Then select all, copy and paste in the WordPad document. Test it with Print Preview.

Edited by xod

1. Stop using Wordpad.

2. Open the Resize dialog. Adjust DPI to the print resolution you want. The image size at that print density is given.

3. Tell your print shop to print at the same print density you used.

You really should read the article DPI and YOU I linked to previously. It explains the difference between screen resolution (PPI or Pixels Per Inch) and print density (DPI or Dots Per Inch). It seems that this is the issue here.

It might help if you post the print requirements of the graphics here.

Your image in post 9 is 771 pixels by 936 pixels.
At 96 pixels per inch (screen quality) that is 8.03 inches by 9.75 inches.(20.40cm by 24.77cm)
At 300 dots per inch (print quality) it is 2.57 inches by 3.12 inches (6.53 cm by 7.92 cm).

Wordpad is a strange choice - perhaps try Open office (free) if you don't want to print from paint.net -
I normally use Word these days.

Do read 'DPI and you' it will help you.
The actual size depends on the resolution - we do not know the resolution Wordpad or your printer are using.
So it is 771 pixels by 936 pixels - the physical size is up to you and your print settings. ;)

• Upvote 3

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg