Sign in to follow this  
welshblue

Utilising Blend Modes, Blurs, Gradients and Layers

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

As the title says ... utilising 4 of the powers of PDN to make an image ...

Blend Modes, Blurs, Gradients and Layers.  They all sound pretty scary and complicated when you're starting out but what great tools to have in your arsenal.  Combine them with 2 things you can't teach ... imagination and experimentation ... and the results are infinite.
Play around, click your mouse ... the only time you'll break anything with PDN is if you get frustrated and stick your head through the monitor.  
Quite possibly that's just me ... and if it is, just use the undo button and keep experimenting.  Keep creating

Hopefully this tutorial will show that it's not all as hard as it looks ...

Plugins Needed:

Bevel Selection & Flip horizontal [url=https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/11514-selection-tools-feather-outline-bevel-shadow-upd-2015-01-31/ ] Click [/url]

Drop Shadow & Object Align [url=https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/8375-drop-shadow-and-other-effects-krisvdms-plugin-pack-updated-2010-10-26/ ] Click [/url]

Making this:

finished.jpg

Spoiler

*** Add the first Rounded Rectangle onto a NEW Layer ***

button_1.jpg

button_2.jpg

button_3.jpg

button_4.jpg

button_5.jpg

button_6.jpg

button_7.jpg

button_8.jpg

button_9.jpg

button_10.jpg

button_11.jpg

button_12.jpg

button_13.jpg

button_14.jpg

button_15.jpg

button_16.jpg

button_17.jpg

button_18.jpg

button_19.jpg

button_20.jpg

button_21.jpg

button_22.jpg

button_23.jpg

button_24.jpg

button_25.jpg

Completed.

• Upvote 4

Another excellent tutorial Welshy!  Thank you.  You make it seem so easy :)

A few comments if I may... and taking nothing away from this impressive tut....

1. You might like to mention that the first rounded rectangle goes on a new transparent layer.

2. (This is a really minor one...) I would like to see a little shadowing on the switch casing to give an indication that the horizontal line on the switch is the highest point. I think this would enhance the idea of it being a rocker switch.

3. Step numbering.  Pretty please? :)  It makes it so much easier to say "I'm lost on step #13.  When do I skin the cat - before or after sacrificing it?"

Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks EER and Kemaru ... only taken me 2 months to finish it :lol:  Just wanted to show that things don't have to be complicated and glad that's how it's come across so far

Good points mate.  25 screenshots easy to get lost in ... hands up I forgot the shadowing and agree again on point 1.

Will make the revisions in a couple of days ... don't lock it ;)

Edited by welshblue

Nice Tutorial Welshblue.a9d6fd58.gif

I even understand what you said.

It sure "switched a light on" for me wink.gif.

Am away from my, Center of Creative Coolness, so will give it a try as soon as I get back.  

• Upvote 1

Incidentally these days I'm interested in creating some buttons.

This tutorial came just in time. Thanks Welshblue. Very clear tutorial and easy to understand.

My try:

st1irR7.png

Edited by xod
  • Upvote 3

Another high-quality tutorial from the King of PDN! I need to get back into creating, so I'll give this (and some of your other stuff :) ) a try!

Nice result xod ... the green really fits.  And thanks

Thanks BarbieQ', Daniels, Drew and the man who always makes me laff - Scooter

2 of the suggested improvements implemented ... just the shadowing to do

Totally, absolutely, 100% semi-compulsory ;)

We like authors to post links - but I don't think it is written anywhere as an absolute requirement.  Perhaps we should change that?  Perhaps I will, Will.

Might be a good idea.  I think the rules I wrote encouraged but did not mandate.  :-)  There are a lot more plugins now.

Done.

OK now I have to post links ---sigh-- alright here

11949848552099951018chain_nicu_buculei_0  SERIOUSLY THOUGH, it is a good idea posting links, as it makes the plug ins much cleaner to find and to reference as needed. 

• Upvote 1

You don't have to Scooter ... unless you're instigating a coup on this tut' - do me a favour and add that last step I still haven't done.  Here's a hyperlink for ya

hyperlinks2.gif

... BTW great rule change.  There's nothing more off putting than going to a tutorial and having to look for a plugin.  (Actually onesies are more off putting but that's a different story ...)

Thanks for this tutorial.

Tried to do the same switch in an 'intemediate' and an 'off' state for using it in a custom user control but up to now it doesn't really match yours. Your 3D effect is great.

Another well delivered tutorial from @WB :smile: Congratulations! .  I couldn't resist doing this, even tho' it's from my hospital bed.  Now to take a nap.

Thanks @Welsh for keeping these coming.  Sorry I'm AWOL at the moment - know you'll forgive me.

IEtestclock_zps3c4b9d95.gif

Thanks so much @BBQ for those kind words.  A bit sad when the author of a tutorial can't be bothered to comment on my attempt :unimpressed: .  Feelings are hurt now!

Ease up Pixey. Welshy has a very full plate at the moment.

Like us all I'm sure he will be delighted with your take on this tutorial. He'll be around in the next few days to tell you so ;)

• Upvote 1

Oh,Pixley, Oh,Pixley, don't be sad or blue

'cause we all think the world of you

your use of the tuit is oh so good

it makes me wish I could

there you have it as I sit, maybe I shouda stood 

5d245db7.gif

get well soon

• Upvote 3