Visual cue suggestion: Indicate a plugin/effect having conflicts

Sometimes, when I don't have any inspiration, I utilize some effect in the effect menu called "randomize effect", or something of that sort. Basically the function automatically lets the program choose an effect for me at random, and allows me to randomize the parameters of whatever effects it's chosen.

I have A LOT of plugins though, and sometimes I run into an error using the randomize effect: When I attempt to generate a random effect, it may jump to an effect that's inherently broken on the latest version of PDN so far (the latest STABLE version I mean).

I know this is not a fault of the random effect function, since I have run into issues with PDN crashing anytime I use a specific effect/plugin on my own. Obviously, I would either seek an update to whatever plugin/effect is broken, or I would delete the plugin/effect out of my directory since it's clear there's no sign of an update for it.

That being said, I have again, A LOT of plugins to sift through. I'd find it would be most efficient to see what plugin is causing me issues, if PDN would give me a sort of visual cue of any effects/plugins that would cause conflicts if I utilize them. A little red exclamation mark or something next to an effect, you know what I mean? That way, I can track down the culprit of why PDN crashes. Hell, it'd be nice if I get a visual cue AFTER PDN detects a crash when I choose to utilize a specific effect, so I can either see it in log files, or I can open up the program again, and find any visual indicators of what's causing me problems.

I don't know what the crash log files consist of, and I'm only a dumb, average user, so the visual method of seeing what's wrong would help greatly.

I am open to feedback/suggestions/alternative solutions i may not be aware about regarding this.

Plugin load errors are detailed in the Utilities menu. Entries in this location indicate that the plugin either failed to load or was blocked from doing so. Think "compatability issue".

Paint.net would have to load each plugin and try every setting to diagnose usability issues. This is simply not feasable. Imagine how long that would take.

A plugin causing a crash will be identified in the crash log.

• Upvote 1

In paint.net 4.0, if you hover over an effect name in the effect menu it gives you info about the effect including auther and DLL file that contains the effect.

-Ah, that's nice! That can definitely make the identifying the plugin's files to delete easier to work with.

Plugin load errors are detailed in the Utilities menu. Entries in this location indicate that the plugin either failed to load or was blocked from doing so. Think "compatability issue".

Paint.net would have to load each plugin and try every setting to diagnose usability issues. This is simply not feasable. Imagine how long that would take.

A plugin causing a crash will be identified in the crash log.

The bit about the load errors in the utilities menu is exactly what I'm looking for! 

As for loading each plugin, I wouldn't want PDN to try to play with settings to detect usability issues, since the only issue that occurs is that once I actually attempt to click on an effect, PDN automatically crashes. That being said, I do have a bunch of plugins, and I don't want to risk freezing/the slowing down of my comp with PDN attempting the way that you're describing.

Where can I find the crash log, and what kind of detail should I be looking for within the log? (Like, "pluginbadx123 crashed at this date: xx-xx-xxxx"?)

I'd still like a visual indicator at the utilities menu at least, showing plugin conflicts (an orange colored ! mark basically saying "watch out", and a red one saying "DELETE AND DO NOT USE!") that I need to be aware about.

My previous feature comment can be dismissed since you guys pointed out alternative solutions I wasn't aware about, so I appreciate that a bunch

As for loading each plugin, I wouldn't want PDN to try to play with settings to detect usability issues, since the only issue that occurs is that once I actually attempt to click on an effect, PDN automatically crashes.

Paint.net cannot interrogate the plugin internals. Imagine the plugin had a divide-by-zero error built in but was otherwise perfectly formed. Paint.net wouldn't know until it was actually run.

Where can I find the crash log, and what kind of detail should I be looking for within the log? (Like, "pluginbadx123 crashed at this date: xx-xx-xxxx"?)

Crash log is a text file located on your desktop. Subsequent crashes get appended - so it might be long. Recommend you delete any existing log so the next crash log will detail only the latest crash.

I'd still like a visual indicator at the utilities menu at least, showing plugin conflicts (an orange colored ! mark basically saying "watch out", and a red one saying "DELETE AND DO NOT USE!") that I need to be aware about.

Download a copy of the Plugin Index. Plugins listed with a Status of Depreciated, Obsolete or Built-in should be deleted (list below) as those have known issues or are obsolete.  All other plugins should be fine so please report any that you have trouble with.

Align Object

Barcode Plugin

CellMaker

Clouds Plugin

Color to Alpha Advanced (PR1)

Feather Plugin - Old Version

Fire Plugin (aka Burninate)

Grid Maker v2.0

JPEG 2000

OptiPNG

Outline Selection

Paint.NET Effect Installation Right-Click Menu Option

Point Warp / Engorged smudge

Seamless Texture Helper

Sine Curves

Sparkle Glitter

Sparkle Stars

Texture

Water Reflection

Add/Remove/Recover Watermark

Alpha Transform v1.0

Another Raw File Loader

ASCII Art

Asmageddon_Strange Bulger B

Batch Processor - PROTOTYPE

Benchmark Utility (PdnBench)

Bilateral Filter

Brightness/ Darkness to Alpha

CannedBrush 1.5

Custom Brushes 5.1.5

CustomBrushesMini 1.0 RC3

Cutout Effect

Cutout Effect

Drop Shadow

EasyWatermark

Ed Harvey Effects

Ed Harvey Effects (v3.30 Beta 1)

Ed Harvey Effects (v3.30)

Ed Harvey Effects v3.36

EdHarvey Effects

Enormators Effects

Erode / Dilate filter

Flip

Flip Horizontal

Floyd-Steinberg dithering

Glass Orb Generator

Google Image Search

GREYCstoration Wrapper *BETA*

Hue / Saturation+

Invert Alpha

Make Colour Transparent

NormalMap 1.1

Object Reflections - Wet Floor Effect

Paint.NET Bulk Image Processor

Paint.net Plugin Installer

Paint.NET Search for Firefox

PdnBench for Paint.NET v3.0

PdnBench for Paint.NET v3.20

Photoshop file plugin

Resource translator v1.0 BETA

Sabrown100 Plugin Pack

Threshold

Vignetting Filter

• Upvote 1

Reading a crash log:  Check the end of the file under the heading Exception details: 

The name of the offending plugin should be there.

Paint.net cannot interrogate the plugin internals. Imagine the plugin had a divide-by-zero error built in but was otherwise perfectly formed. Paint.net wouldn't know until it was actually run.

Crash log is a text file located on your desktop. Subsequent crashes get appended - so it might be long. Recommend you delete any existing log so the next crash log will detail only the latest crash.

Download a copy of the Plugin Index. Plugins listed with a Status of Depreciated, Obsolete or Built-in should be deleted (list below) as those have known issues or are obsolete.  All other plugins should be fine so please report any that you have trouble with.

Align Object

Barcode Plugin

CellMaker

Clouds Plugin

Color to Alpha Advanced (PR1)

Feather Plugin - Old Version

Fire Plugin (aka Burninate)

Grid Maker v2.0

JPEG 2000

OptiPNG

Outline Selection

Paint.NET Effect Installation Right-Click Menu Option

Point Warp / Engorged smudge

Seamless Texture Helper

Sine Curves

Sparkle Glitter

Sparkle Stars

Texture

Water Reflection

Add/Remove/Recover Watermark

Alpha Transform v1.0

Another Raw File Loader

ASCII Art

Asmageddon_Strange Bulger B

Batch Processor - PROTOTYPE

Benchmark Utility (PdnBench)

Bilateral Filter

Brightness/ Darkness to Alpha

CannedBrush 1.5

Custom Brushes 5.1.5

CustomBrushesMini 1.0 RC3

Cutout Effect

Cutout Effect

Drop Shadow

EasyWatermark

Ed Harvey Effects

Ed Harvey Effects (v3.30 Beta 1)

Ed Harvey Effects (v3.30)

Ed Harvey Effects v3.36

EdHarvey Effects

Enormators Effects

Erode / Dilate filter

Flip

Flip Horizontal

Floyd-Steinberg dithering

Glass Orb Generator

Google Image Search

GREYCstoration Wrapper *BETA*

Hue / Saturation+

Invert Alpha

Make Colour Transparent

NormalMap 1.1

Object Reflections - Wet Floor Effect

Paint.NET Bulk Image Processor

Paint.net Plugin Installer

Paint.NET Search for Firefox

PdnBench for Paint.NET v3.0

PdnBench for Paint.NET v3.20

Photoshop file plugin

Resource translator v1.0 BETA

Sabrown100 Plugin Pack

Threshold

Vignetting Filter

-I don't know any of those words you're throwing at me, I'm going to need an ELI5. But I will take away that you're saying that the process of how PDN would detect a faulty error is just not practical for the feature suggestion I'm asking for :P

-Ah, the desktop! I would have never guessed it was at such an easy place

-Oh my, some of these plugins listed I use frequently and are totally fine, but it helps to narrow down the rest of them!

Reading a crash log:  Check the end of the file under the heading Exception details:

The name of the offending plugin should be there.

-Perfect, that's about the best thing I can do to delete an unusable plugin. Thanks for taking your time for the assistance on this matter!

That is a LOT of plugins that won't work. I like to use almost half of those listed. I hope the authors update for V.4 

Also worth adding to the list is effects lab (although not an effect plugin) another feature I rely on. I did post on the authors thread, but no response. 

ZXCBOoZ.png

Wait.  Some of these plugins are obsolete because they have been updated, so that list is just a guide.  Please don't delete a plugin just because it appears in the list  - you might have the correct version installed.

Download the pdf version of the Plugin Index and check them off before deleting them (my original recommendation).

Also worth adding to the list is effects lab (although not an effect plugin) another feature I rely on. I did post on the authors thread, but no response. 

?  I've got Effect Lab working in both 3.5.11 and 4.0....  I just ran FurBlur through it - though it might be a good workout for Effect Lab :)  It passed.