REMINDER: paint.net 4.0 will require Windows 7+

Rick Brewster

This isn't new news, but I'd like to remind everyone that paint.net 4.0 will require Windows 7 SP1 or newer (this includes Windows 8 and 8.1, of course). It should also run fine on Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012, and 2012 R2 or newer. Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 "non-R2" will not work. As usual, I don't actually do any testing on Windows Server, so support there is primarily of the "good faith effort" type.

So if you've been holding out on upgrading to Windows 7 or 8.1, now is a great time to do so! Microsoft has done a pretty good job of making this as frictionless as possible when it comes to pricing and installation (e.g. low prices and easy upgrades).

I expect 4.0 to be finished ("RTM") within the next few months (it'll definitely be after Christmas; maybe keep it in mind for your shopping or wish lists?). Once it's released, 3.5 will be officially unsupported and will not be available for download from the website. I still haven't decided on an "unofficial" or "grace period" policy for the forum (e.g. it's not like I'm going to ban someone if they post a tutorial that uses 3.5, right?).

You can download the latest preview version (aka alpha/beta/unstable) over in the paint.net 4.0 Preview Center. You can read about all the new features over on the paint.net blog.

Also worth mentioning is that if you have 3.5 installed, it won't expire or "die" once 4.0 is released. You can keep using it as long as you like without having to upgrade; it's just the support policy on this forum that will start excluding it. (In other words, go ahead and use it, just don't bug me about it :))

Pre-emptive NOTE: Please do not ask me to add support for Vista or XP. It's not that your request is lame or invalid or anything, it's just not going to happen (sorry, I'm just being honest!). 

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

It's worth noting that Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade for Windows 8. So, if you manage to find a really cheap copy of Windows 8 but you can't find the same kind of deal on 8.1, then by all means get 8! (don't pirate it of course, that's not what I mean)

Students can often get heavily discounted or free copies of Windows (see link below for 8.1 Pro directly from Microsoft). For instance, when I went to Washington State University I was able to get Windows XP for free. My license was invalid once I graduated, but you'll have to check into the specific terms & conditions for your school and department.

If you're not sure whether to get Pro or non-Pro, there's a handy comparison chart on Microsoft's website.

Here's some handy links if you're looking for OS media or upgrades. 

Windows 8.1, Full Version

Windows 8.1 Pro, Full Version

(These are not "affiliate links." I don't get any money if you buy via them. If you post an affiliate link in here then I will delete your post and we will not be happy with you.)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I appreciate the hard work, Rick. I actually haven't tried the 4.0 preview version yet because I'm holding out for the full release of 4.0. I know it's going to be worth the wait.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

Do try it.  Power users such as yourself can provide Rick with meaningful feedback as you try to replicate/improve your techniques.

Remember you can run 3.5.11 and 4.0 side-by-side.  Instructions here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27227-paintnet-40-alpha-build-5034/?p=399792

• 4 months later...

If being able to run Paint.NET v4 isn't enough incentive for you, how about this: Today, Microsoft ends support for Windows XP, and you should upgrade for your own security; there will be no more security fixes released by Microsoft, ever.

Windows 7 and 8.1 can be purchased for a very low price compared to the price of not upgrading. If you don't upgrade, you face the very real possibility of identity theft, having your PC being used for sending spam, stolen passwords and banking information, or data erased entirely. Like any other "unattended" program, Windows XP - once a great program and the first really excellent operating system - has just become the low-hanging fruit for hackers.

And you can't complain about not having any warning. They announced this when it was released and pushed back the deadline twice.

So why did Microsoft need to leave Windows XP behind?  Well, several reasons.  First of all, the release of Vista, then of 7 and 8 and finally 8.1, have required people to program, and that is not a limitless resource.  If Microsoft dwells on XP, there will be no new features in Windows 8.

Second, Windows XP is not a modern operating system.  Remember, when Microsoft started working on it in the late 1990s, pretty much all of the web we know and love didn't exist yet. Wikipedia, most of Google, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube were all invented after Microsoft started work on Windows XP.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Friends, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, The Sopranos, The X-Files, and The West Wing were still on the air. Firefly had yet to premiere.

Peanuts was still in the papers. Charles Schultz was still alive, as was Sir Alec Guinness (Obi-Wan Kenobi) and Douglas Adams. Star Wars Episode 1 had just been released.

Bill Clinton was still the president of the United States. 9/11 hadn't happened yet. Vladimir Putin wasn't the president of Russia yet. World population had just topped six billion. Microsoft itself was still in an antitrust lawsuit with the US government. The ILOVEYOU virus was circulating the young web. Y2K was still in the future. MIR was still in orbit.  Paint.NET didn't even exist.

Basically, the world that Windows XP was written for was almost unrecognizably different from our world today.

So please, do yourself a favor.  Protect yourself from identity theft.  Update your computer or get a new one.  Get a modern operating system with modern features.  Uninstall your museum piece.
  • Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing is - Windows 7 is supposedly not so available in stores anymore, and people are hating Win-8 compared to Win-7.

(sorta like people hated Vista compared to XP)

This is just a repeat of what i've read others saying, so don't ask me to elaborate :)

I'm most comfortable with Advocates of Transparent RepairCare (vs. Stealthcare) no matter their graphic expertise.

blind_plight_minipic.jpg

Eh, don't listen.  Windows 8 is fine, especially Windows 8.1.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

• 1 month later...

I hope this is not a really silly question. I have Windows 8.1 Pro (update-1) and also holding out for the non beta of paint.net v4. And I have many many plugins installed in 3.5.11. When I do download and install the non beta, will I have to download every plugin again? Will I get a plugin load error like you get in the Utilities menu of 3.5.11?

Again sorry if this is a silly question, but I know next to nothing about upgrading and what plugin's may never work in v4.

Thank you :)

@ Sammo - If you value your data and your pc, you would be very wise to upgrade to Windows-8.1. It is fast, user friendly and secure.

Y7O8WRy.png

I hope this is not a really silly question. I have Windows 8.1 Pro (update-1) and also holding out for the non beta of paint.net v4. And I have many many plugins installed in 3.5.11. When I do download and install the non beta, will I have to download every plugin again? Will I get a plugin load error like you get in the Utilities menu of 3.5.11?

Again sorry if this is a silly question, but I know next to nothing about upgrading and what plugin's may never work in v4.

Many plugins and plugin packs have been updated for 4.0. You would do well to freshly download all plugins you plan on using.

With my plugin pack, for example, you can limp along with the 3.5 pack if you want, but you'll miss out on a couple of bug fixes and new enhancements that just won't work on 3.5.

It's time for some spring cleaning... dump the plugins that you never use, upgrade the plugins you value.

• Upvote 1

When I do download and install the non beta, will I have to download every plugin again?

Nope. Your existing collection of plugins will persist to the new install. Do think about the advice BoltBait gave you above.

Will I get a plugin load error like you get in the Utilities menu of 3.5.11?

You might get some. Many are helpfully caught within 4.0 and listed in a dialog. I've detailed those that are caught in the thread below ("shows under Plugin Errors" - or similar).

Current list of plugins incompatible with 4.0x: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27661-incompatible-plugins-an-incomplete-list-updated-for-405268/

• Upvote 1

Thank you BoltBait and Ego Eram Reputo for your answers. I guess it is time to flush out some unused plug ins and will download all the packs when I do migrate to v4 :)

Y7O8WRy.png

Have you been keeping up with Windows 7 updates?  You may not have the first Service Pack installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Are there technical reasons that made the W7+ only support mandatory? Some API that isn't available on earlier versions Windows ?

Edited by Gogo