Bulk save

damian5000

One of the amazing things about PDN is that it saves PNGs so tiny. Literally 50%-75% smaller than what I can save them as in PhotoShop. My problem is that I need to load about 200 PNGs and just re-save them with PDN, but I don't want to hit CTRL-S then CTRL-W 200 times. I've tried using the bulk processing plugin, but it results in errors (it hasn't been updated since 2010).

Any other suggestions?

Hi Damian - welcome to the paint.net forum!

Honestly - when users want a batch processor we usually refer them to IrFanView.  Paint.net is not set up to be used in this way - which is why the 2009 Batch Processor was removed (I assume that's what you're referring to?)

A new bulk processor has been recently released.  It relies on the Scriptlab plugin to automatically apply effects and filters, but does not have access to all of paint.net's tools, menus, and functions (like Save). 

I'm talking about a 2010 plugin 'PDN Bulk Updater'.

irfanview is impossible to save the same size as paint.net does. paint.net saves a 16kb PS PNG file as 4kb. irfanview saves the same 16kb file as 11kb

Perhaps it would be a good idea to set up PDN for bulk/batch saving. Why not? I know I'm not the first one to request this functionality.

Edited by damian5000

Because that's not really the point of Paint.NET.  It's not trying to be an everything program, and it's developed by just one guy.

If Irfanview doesn't give the results you need, take a look at PNGcrush, PNGout, and OptiPNG.  They're command line tools, and thus much faster than a GUI.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Save all open files doesn't seem like some huge, strange request.

I'll take a look at the ones you mentioned. I'm not concerned about speed, I'm concerned about size. For whatever reason, paint.net and tinypng.org save them so small, but neither work in bulk. no bulk graphical program I've tried comes even close.

Ah, a save all would be a good idea.  I thought you were asking for a full bulk processing function.  Bulk save would be awesome.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I'm still unsure of which plugin you have. Are you're talking about Paint.NET Bulk Image Processor? (It too was removed from the forum because it did not comply with the plugin system).

Where did you download it?

Wait. I think I found it. PDN Bulk Updater aka Bulk Image Processor. It has never been released via this forum so is unapproved and possibly dangerous. I'd avoid using it.

If you just need to optimize or "crush" a big list of PNGs, my favorite tool for doing that is something called PNG Gauntlet. It is a GUI/front-end for PNGout.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 5 years later...
On 11/20/2013 at 1:59 PM, Rick Brewster said:

If you just need to optimize or "crush" a big list of PNGs, my favorite tool for doing that is something called PNG Gauntlet. It is a GUI/front-end for PNGout.

Thank you so much for this suggestion, I've been wanting something like this for foreverrrrr

If optimizing images is what you're after, check out FileOptimizer! It honestly blows my mind how much if can save, it's super simple to use too, just drag and drop your stuff on it, similar to what Rick said about Gauntlet, FileOptimizer is just a GUI/front-end for many plugins such as PNGout.

https://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.io/static.php?page=FileOptimizer

https://sourceforge.net/projects/nikkhokkho/