Paint.NET won't start up - "Important installation files are missing."

I've never had any problem with Paint.NET before. But suddenly, I tried to open the program and I received this message:

"Paint.NET has detected that some important installation files are missing. If you click the Repair button it will attempt to repair this and then continue loading.

The missing files are: Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable"

Of course, clicking the Repair button is absolutely useless. I tried restarting the computer, reinstalling PDN, reinstalling/repairing the .NET framework, downloading Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable from the Microsoft website and nothing has worked.

I noticed that this has just happened after the computer performed a check disk yesterday and 'repaired' some files. I guess it's my own fault for letting Windows fix something that wasn't broken. They're updates and the like are just a recipe for disaster. I should have learned that ages ago.

Anyway, thanks for any assistance in troubleshooting this problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, but is this a help forum or what? Is there anybody out there, or am I just talking to myself?

EDIT:

Sorry about my attitude there. That was out of order. I'm not angry at any of you guys; I'm just frustrated with this problem. It must have been at least two or three weeks since I used PDN and I'm rather frustrated. This was the program that I've been using to for years, and now suddenly I can't use it anymore. And I don't know how to fix the problem apart from buying a new computer.

So once again, I'd like to sincerely apologize for my behavior. It was totally disrespectful and out of order. It's nobody's fault, and I had no right to take it out on anyone else. I give you my word that it won't happen again. Please accept my apologies.

[btw, I'm going to leave what I wrote up, so that people can see why I'm apologizing.]

Edited by Achenaton

Hi Achenaton. Sorry you didn't receive the timely assistance you should have.

What you will need to do is read through this thread Troubleshooting Installation thread. Once you've done that, re-read the bit about the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Then go and download a copy.

The utility is very powerful and should be used as directed to remove all traces of paint.net. Once removed you should be able to download a fresh copy and reinstall it.

Please let me know via this thread how you get on. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Hello, thanks for the response. :)

I download Windows Installer Cleanup and chose Paint.NET, then I chose "remove". The strange thing is, Paint.NET still appears in the Start Menu. Also, the Paint.NET files and folders are still there, but the program no longer appears on the list of programs in Windows Installer Cleanup. It's as if WIC thinks it got rid of PDN, but the files are still present on the computer. I'm not sure whether it worked or not, but I guess it didn't so far.

Edit:

Oops, sorry about that. I missed the part that said "Once finished with the utility, manually delete the directory that Paint.NET was installed to." I just deleted the PDN folder with all the files inside. Now I'm going to try and reinstall PDN.

Edited by Achenaton

Have you tried running Windows Update?

You might have the VC++ redist installed, but not the right version. The one that Paint.NET requires should be the latest one for Visual C++ 2010, but it's something that isn't always easy to find the right download for on Microsoft's website. Sometimes running Windows Update will find it, however, since it's technically a security update or something.

If that doesn't work, try 1) uninstalling Paint.NET, then 2) go into Programs and Features (or Add/Remove Programs) control panel and uninstall any "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable" entries, and then 3) reinstall Paint.NET (which will install the VC++ redist)

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

As another backup idea, you can try installing the latest alpha (pre-release) of version 4.0, http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27399-paintnet-40-alpha-build-5064/

• Upvote 1

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Have you tried running Windows Update?

You might have the VC++ redist installed, but not the right version. The one that Paint.NET requires should be the latest one for Visual C++ 2010, but it's something that isn't always easy to find the right download for on Microsoft's website. Sometimes running Windows Update will find it, however, since it's technically a security update or something.

If that doesn't work, try 1) uninstalling Paint.NET, then 2) go into Programs and Features (or Add/Remove Programs) control panel and uninstall any "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable" entries, and then 3) reinstall Paint.NET (which will install the VC++ redist)

Actually, that's another separate problem. I'm unable to run Windows Update either.

This is what happens when I try to update with Microsoft Security Essentials. You know the bar that says "Searching"? Well, when the green gauge in the Searching bar is filling up, it just fills up slower and slower until it comes to a complete standstill at roughly 30%. It stays like that for ages, and then when it finally gets to the point of "Updating", I get an error message saying "this app couldn't check for virus and spyware definition updates. Check your Internet or network connection and try again." The error code is 0x80240fff.

I know this is out of your hands, but I just thought I ought to mention that. Unfortunately my Windows Update is no longer functional. Here's a word of advice - when your ISP calls offering you "faster broadband for a lower price" or something, turn down the offer. If your broadband works fine, there's no need to change it. You may well end up regretting it if you do.

So long story short, I can't use Windows Update anymore, and I can't even update the virus definitions. So I doubt this computer will be alive much longer. Sorry about that. =/

Bleh, that is a yucky situation. Doesn't sound like Paint.NET is the problem, but rather another symptom.

Yeah I recommend getting Windows fixed first, even if that means "paving" the box (reformat, reinstall OS).

• Upvote 1

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

You can download Vista and make an install disc.  Just make sure you get your product key before you format your HDD.

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Now would be a great time to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1.

Sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately that's not an option for now. Seems that the only reliable solution is to get another computer.

I think it's better that we just forget about this topic. I posted it back when I still had some hope of using PDN again, but that hope is long gone. There's obviously something seriously wrong with this computer (other than being infected with the virus known as Windows Vista). Thanks for your help, but I'm afraid this is out of your hands as well as mine. In the end, all I did here was waste your time. Sorry about that.

You didn't waste our time.  I'm just sorry we cannot provide more help - but it seems the issue is not due to paint.net.

If you manage to find a solution to your Vista woes please try and reinstall v3.5.11.  It should work.

• 1 year later...

Hi again!

I know this is technically necro-posting seeing as this topic has been motionless for about a year now, but i thought you might want to hear an update to this situation.

So here's a recap of what happened. For years i had been using PDN without problems. But suddenly, at the end of last year, my v3.5.11 stopped working for no apparent reason (although i suspect that a recent Windows Update had something to do with it, which is why WU will NEVER be run on this computer again).

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling PDN, but to no avail. A couple of weeks ago, after a year of occasional searching for a solution, i realized that the problem all along was that i was unable to completely uninstall my corrupt v3.5.11 from my system. And because i couldn't uninstall the faulty version, i was unable to install a functional version.

After checking the "Install/Uninstall Problems" topic, i came across some utility by Microsoft that can forcibly uninstall a program (i think it's called "Microsoft Fix it"). This utility successfully uninstalled the faulty v3.5.11 from my computer, and i was able to successfully install a much older version of PDN from 2008. I tried opening it as usual, not expecting it to work, and i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw PDN open for the first time in over a year.

So this story had a happy ending. :)

In post #3 I mentioned the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.  This is what we generally recommend to remove troublesome installations.

I'm glad you got this fixed.  You must have jumped for joy!

...and now because of the age of this thread - I'm going to close it.

<locked>