How to remove a specific color...

ghostbugg

I have a bit of a unique question that i am looking for answer to.

I have a brother printer that no longer prints the magenta ink. I have tried and tried to fix it, and cannot figure it out. So, Since i would like to continue using the printer, and still need to print in color, I was hoping maybe there would be a way to remove the red from a picture before i color it.

Now, i understand it is more comlicated than just finding all the red in a photo and simply removing it or changing the color. Any color that the printer needs Magenta ink to print is going to come out funny, unless I can find a way to change any color that would require the magenta ink.

Would anyone have any idea how i could do this via paint.net or any other program.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by ghostbugg

Well, I'm sorry, but Paint.NET is probably not your best choice, and there are two reasons why.

1. PdN doesn't support "process" layers. That is, there's no automatic way to separate an image into its constituent color layers. Though there may be plugin.

2. PdN does not operate in CMYK mode. Even if you could divide out the magenta, there is no guarantee it would print correctly.

That said, and forgive me if this is silly, but isn't the printer doing that for you already? I mean, there's no way to 'fake it' and get a color without the magenta cartridge. I'm not entirely certain what you are trying to do with this feature.

Anyway, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I know there's a plugin that has a Color to Alpha feature that lets you change specific colors transparent, but I'm not completely sure how well it work since I don't use it.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

Well, I'm sorry, but Paint.NET is probably not your best choice, and there are two reasons why.

1. PdN doesn't support "process" layers. That is, there's no automatic way to separate an image into its constituent color layers. Though there may be plugin.

2. PdN does not operate in CMYK mode. Even if you could divide out the magenta, there is no guarantee it would print correctly.

That said, and forgive me if this is silly, but isn't the printer doing that for you already? I mean, there's no way to 'fake it' and get a color without the magenta cartridge. I'm not entirely certain what you are trying to do with this feature.

Anyway, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Thank you for the information... and yes, technically the printer is of coruse not printing in magenta. But because it is not printing in magenta some colors, even ones other than magenta, come out funny. This of course is because the printer uses a combination of the magenta and whatever else to make that color. What i was hoping for was a way to change all the colors in hte image so that none of them would require the use of the magenta color, and therefore they would all come out exactly like they are in the image after it is edited. That's why i knew it would be a difficult issue. changing all the colors to colors that do not need the magenta cartridge at all seems like something that will be, more than likely, impossible. but, I had to ask...

DarkShock: IIRC, that plugin removes a specific hex code within tolerance, not an entire process layer.

Ghostbugg: The problem is, most colors need at least a little bit of magenta to print correctly.  Your output is probably going to be pretty much the same, even with this trick, you'll just be able to see how weird it looks before you print it.  :-)

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.