Sign in to follow this  
welshblue

Beveled Metal Circles

welshblue    562

@ Chimay, DrewDale and BarbieQ' ... thanks.  It's actually a versatile way of doing things and I've used it for other things in the past.

To give it more substance play with Distorts and Blend Modes ... especially poor maligned PI

polarinversion.jpg

polarinversion2.jpg

barbieq25    713

Yes, Welshy, PI is much maligned but like any tool in the hands of a master will produce stunning results. Layer blend modes are under used too.

welshblue    562

Thanks mate

... but it's a way of making realistic metal shines but it's also a shape (I've discovered certain starting colours give more realistic metal finishes than standard greys) ... so is that a texture or a creation ?  

I always get confused - or it's the atheist in me not wanting creation :lol:  

Move it wherever y'all think it should be.  You know me ... I'm easy

Query:  I'm working on a tutorial that shows the power of blurs, gradients and blend modes to make an object and background - is that a creation, a texture or a Miscellaneous ?

Neat result Drew.  Excellent idea to add the shadow, it really adds some depth to it.  Great shine too

Ego Eram Reputo    1,755

Interesting point. 

If the tutorial was a generic one on how to apply metallic sheen to stuff then that would be a Texture.  You have entitled it "Beveled Metal Circles", which makes me think of an object = a Creation.

I'm OK with either location.

Query:  I'm working on a tutorial that shows the power of blurs, gradients and blend modes to make an object and background - is that a creation, a texture or a Miscellaneous ?

You extracting the urine? :lol:  Seriously - I think I'd have to see that one before committing myself :)

chimay12321    64

I've got an (I think) wonderful addition for the tutorial. It's give your ring a bit more of a metal texture IMO and it'll give a kind of a realistic glow to the edge in the middle of the ring. 

Try this out:

1. duplicate the Template layer and run 'Engrave / emboss' on the upper layer (settings: Engrave ; width: 5 px)
  2. Select the layer below the engraved one and click somewhere outside the ring in global mode, go to the engraved layer and hit 'Delete' 
  3. Set the engraved layer to 'Reflect' ; opacity: 126 (you can play with this, what suits your outcome best)
  4. Run AA's assistant many times to get rid of the ugly white edges 

Outcome:

e4563d79-ffe5-4f79-b585-3a61c616a7c0_zps

welshblue    562

You extracting the urine? :lol:  Seriously - I think I'd have to see that one before committing myself :)

Quite prophetic mate ;)

@ Chimay' ... tutes' are all about experimentation.  And you've found one of the alternative roads to take.   ;)

Nice result

Edited by welshblue

Marilynx    11

Here's my take on it... I was doing okay until I hit the Alpha Mask, and then I got the first picture posted here. I just hand-filled the white, and got the second.

post-143238-0-92126000-1448164380_thumb.

post-143238-0-72422600-1448164394_thumb.

I think I must have done something wrong somewhere because the outside edges of the ring are kinda jaggy.

But very interesting.

dipstick    416

Another way to do this (with texture), is to use Red Ochre's "Object Edge" followed by his "TGAngle". It works great on text too.

TQKfY08.jpg

welshblue    562

The beauty of PDN as I remember is that there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

It's always down to personal preference but using my tutorial there's more control over shine, colour etc (or @ least I think so for what it's worth, and I have been known to be wrong on many occasions)  

The same as for plugins ... Diffuse, gives more control over colours ... TG Angle gives more options ... Specular ... not really used it to comment

It's like every thing in life - what works for one person doesn't work for everyone

It's all down to the user I guess ?

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 1

lynxster4    1,029

Ninja stars anyone???    :lol:          Achieved using grid-warp plugin.

beveledmetalcircles_01.png            beveledmetalcircles_02.png

Thanks @welshblue!!   

Edited by lynxster4
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2