paint.net 4.0 alpha build 5034

Rick Brewster

That copyright isn't translated because it's coming straight from the plugin DLL.

You'll have to explain what problem you're seeing with the Resources folder -- they are certainly supposed to still be in use.

String."4" isn't a thing. It's still just 3.

And yes, "Paint.NET" is now "paint.net" in all instances.

You can share your Dutch translation whenever you'd like, just mark it as being for version 4.0. 

Rick,

• Please look at the screen capture once again.

I would have expected the word "Copyright" to have been translated in Dutch (like Auteur and Locatie).

• I am talking about Files.AboutCredits.rtf, Icons.FontBoldIcon.png, Icons.FontItalicIcon.png and Icons.FontUnderlineIcon.png. They were used in the About dialogue and to replace the font settings icons with the Text Tool. They appear to be (yet) not used.

Cheers,

Stephan

Rick,

• Please look at the screen capture once again.

I would have expected the word "Copyright" to have been translated in Dutch (like Auteur and Locatie).

• I am talking about Files.AboutCredits.rtf, Icons.FontBoldIcon.png, Icons.FontItalicIcon.png and Icons.FontUnderlineIcon.png. They were used in the About dialogue and to replace the font settings icons with the Text Tool. They appear to be (yet) not used.

Cheers,

Stephan

The word "Copyright" is coming from the DLL itself.  It is not coming from Paint.NET.

Mouse Over Tool Tips

There are a couple of tool settings that do not show Mouse-Over Tool Tips.

It would be helpful to (new) users if they were.

post-49026-0-11209100-1382340164_thumb.p

The word "Copyright" is coming from the DLL itself.  It is not coming from Paint.NET.

Understood.

So, if the word Copyright is included in the information from the plugin itself, the string SettingsDialog.Plugins.SupportInfo.Copyright.Format is omitted. Ain't that clever?

I was messing around with the new version for a bit and had several crashes. Most of them caused by plugins. "Polar Inversion Plus" was the one which caused most of the problems. I updated the plugin, hoping to solve it. Now it crashes instantaneously. (see attachment). Hope this helps somehow.

PS: if you are wondering what I was working on.... open up the spoiler ;)

I am still convinced, that the paint.net website should be reworked. My goal here is to inspire whoever is in charge of the website to maybe do some work on the site. (Ps: if needed I can provide the HTML and CSS files for this (The buttons are animated ;)))

image.png

This is my  first ever fully handwritten site, so pls be kind ;) 

CrashDump.zip

Your crash log says:

Which is weird since the Feather plugin does not include a pan control.  It looks to me that you're using an Editable Text plugin, not a feather plugin.

Huh. I wasn't. It was the feather tool. The editable text effect works without crashing pdn. Is there a list forming, yet, of the effects/adjustments that crash this alpha release? I had to slide back to 3.5 and the dreaded layer window due to the fear of random crashes and not being able to properly edit the images with effects. Thanks.

And, Rick, my bad,. I ditn't even realize you were the developer. For some reason I always thought that this was open source and many developers were writing it. Makes more sense, now, that it is just one guy. I have been using pdn for at least four hours a day for four years, now. Crazy time all added up.. Good work. Great software. Kept me hooked.

splinter_logo_3_by_dipperdon-d4tqqf5.png

Those plugin crashes should be fixed for the next release. Specifically, the ones that were dying due to missing Utility.Lerp(double, double, double), Utility.ClampToByte(int), and Utility.ClampToByte(double).

These methods are obsolete and will no longer be available for plugins, but I am able to make them available for old plugins.

In general, plugins should NOT use whatever utility classes and functionality they find tucked away in various Paint.NET DLLs. All that stuff is unsupported and will quite often be moved, removed, changed, renamed, etc.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Just a small bug:

Undoing a paintbrush or pencil action does not update that layer's thumbnail in the layers window.

y7cJyO7.png

ZrYbdul.png

Edited by Tranzit

Great to be able to test this alpha. As my first small complaint, i'd like to point out that this new version is a bit TOO fullscreen. If the option to hide the taskbar by default is ticked, paint.net doesn't respect that and doesn't allow it to pop back up when the cursor hits the bottom, like it should.
I'd appreciate it if this didn't occur, i don't think i'm the only one using that setting, even on a desktop computer, to save vertical space :P

I'll report anything else noteworthy that i may find over time, apologies in advance if any of those have been reported before :)

EDIT: It appears that although the option to check for beta updates is ticked during the installer, in the actual options it isn't. There's also the slight chance i missed it, but i swear it was on by default when installing :P

EDIT 2: Also this error was registered, for anyone interested.

Flip.dll, version 2.0.0.0

Name: Flip Horizontal
Type: Flip.FlipHEffect
Version: 2.0.0.0
Author: BoltBait
Copyright: Copyright 2008 BoltBait, All Rights Reserved.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Δημιουργήθηκε εξαίρεση από τον προορισμό μιας κλήσης. ---> System.TypeLoadException: Δεν ήταν δυνατή η φόρτωση του τύπου 'PaintDotNet.PdnResources' από τη συγκρότηση 'PaintDotNet.Resources, Version=4.0.5034.2167, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
σε Flip.FlipHEffect..ctor()
--- Τέλος ιχνηλάτησης στοίβας εσωτερικών εξαιρέσεων ---
σε System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
σε System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
σε PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.AddEffectsToMenu() στο D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:γραμμή 604

Name: Flip Vertical
Type: Flip.FlipVEffect
Version: 2.0.0.0
Author: BoltBait
Copyright: Copyright 2008 BoltBait, All Rights Reserved.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Δημιουργήθηκε εξαίρεση από τον προορισμό μιας κλήσης. ---> System.TypeLoadException: Δεν ήταν δυνατή η φόρτωση του τύπου 'PaintDotNet.PdnResources' από τη συγκρότηση 'PaintDotNet.Resources, Version=4.0.5034.2167, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
σε Flip.FlipVEffect..ctor()
--- Τέλος ιχνηλάτησης στοίβας εσωτερικών εξαιρέσεων ---
σε System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
σε System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
σε PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.AddEffectsToMenu() στο D:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:γραμμή 604

EDIT 3: And a possible bug with the gear shape: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqfy0i1090q1xwm/Screenshot%202013-10-23%2019.48.13.png

Edited by Coornio

I try running the .ora plugin in the alpha, first error about ics zip library, oh, it's gone... google .net 4.5 and zip and see ZipArchive built-in... start changing to that... loading works, saving isn't yet and at one point I see Ionic.Zip inside PDN.Base... why didn't I just use that >_>... Part of me wants to use this cool nifty ZipArchive but the Ionic would be much easier... just copy the old code back and change from ics to ionic... argh... I wanna use the new stuff but.... decisions decisions... if I could get saving work...

Layer.BlendMode simplified stuff quite a bit :)

Edit: A quick bit of googling about ziparchive and it works! :D

Edited by Zagna

sig.jpg.7f312affa740bae49243c4439bc4a244.jpg

DRAW SHAPE while holding SHIFT creates the shape in a symmetrical form. Very handy, but there is a snag.

It looks like the rotation anchor is generally positioned halfway the width and halfway the heigth of a shape.

For symmetrical shapes (created while holding SHIFT), it would be a benefit if the rotation anchor be positioned at the intersection of the symmetry axes, thus making rotation behave more naturally.

DIY example:

1. Draw a symmetrical triangle while holding Shift
  2. Rotate the triangle
  3. Awkward

First, I want to thank Rick for his hard work in getting this out, and to everyone who may have helped him along (e.g. Ed Harvey).

Secondly, I've been having a bit of trouble with the magic wand after moving things. I made a video outlining the problem. Is this happening to anyone else?

http://youtu.be/Ht0zbabe5Hk

Also, deselecting with enter or ESC doesn't always work for me...

From the description, this seems to be the same problem i have been having, ill try and get a video myself

eOdUjVm.jpg

Not sure if this has been mentioned before:

- A lot of fonts appear to be missing, including all but one of my D fonts.  Even some of the default fonts are gone.  Can't load them with the text tool nor with a plugin. (w7sp1 x64)

- I also have to second the rotation handle area issue since it's a bit difficult to drag things around without rotating them while zoomed in.

--

Thank you, Rick, for this fantastic software.  You are a beast!

Windows 7, Service Pack 1

• IndirectUi Sliders do not show a focus rectangle (if you are using the keyboard)
  • Maximize main window on a secondary screen. Close Paint.NET. The following restart will open maximized on the primary screen
  • Settings.Diagnostics page: Copy of the content to the clipboard would be usefull

midoras signature.gif

N00000 How Could You Do This To Vista Users?!?!??!

Windows 7 has been out for 4 years (about 3,273 years in computer years) and is a MUCH better OS.  Time to upgrade.  :-)

I found Windows 7 Home Premium for about $60 USD, though I'm sure a more thorough search could find it for even cheaper.  Windows 8 is $85 USD.  It's chump change! :-D

In all seriousness, though, maintaining support for older operating systems slows down development, because Rick (the only developer, there is no team) has to not only test, but fix bugs for operating systems used by a smaller and smaller subset of the population.  He also can't use the shiny new features in more recent systems if he's trying to maintain cross-compatibility with code that was written over half a decade ago.  If you can't upgrade (my sympathies) or don't want to (you're being silly), no one is forcing you to uninstall your older version that still works fine.  When you get a modern OS, you're welcome to download PDN4.  But don't try to ruin it for the rest of us.  :-)

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Ok another small but fairly annoying issue i found is that when another application is in the foreground, if you try to restore paint.net to the foreground by selecting the currently focused image from the taskbar, it will hide itself again, but that doesn't happen if you select a different one. Might want to get that fixed if you haven't already :)

Recolouring, filling (paint bucket) and magic wand selection does not work nor respond to drawn shapes. Instead will select everything on canvas and perform the action to all not the selected shape.

Other than that I haven't found any other bugs.
Thank you Rick for this incredible software. .

===EDIT 1===

I find also that the magic wand ignores attempts to select black and will instead select everything else.

Edited by Channel3Media

Please add an option to disable any anti aliasing in the textual parts like menus, history, layers and so on.

These text "optimizations" look just blurry and not sharp to me.

So my eyes get tired much faster.

That was the main reason for me to almost never use Internet Explorer as a browser, because it made cleartype mandatory since IE9.

Recolouring, filling (paint bucket) and magic wand selection does not work nor respond to drawn shapes. Instead will select everything on canvas and perform the action to all not the selected shape.

Other than that I haven't found any other bugs.

Thank you Rick for this incredible software. .

===EDIT 1===

I find also that the magic wand ignores attempts to select black and will instead select everything else.

Hmm, I haven't seen that. To help me fix this, please provide "dummy proof" step-by-step instructions starting with "launch paint.net". That will help tremendously!

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Not sure if reported already, but some fonts are missing (not some, but many)... In v3.5 all of them were there. (Looks like only the OpenType-Fonts (.otf))

If the font isn't supported by DirectWrite, then it won't show up in the list. 

That's exciting.  No more bad font crashes?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.