Question about Croping

I have a few large pngs that i want to cut up into 192x192 pixel boxes and save all separately. Is there anyway to do this automatically? I could crop each block but that seems like a lot of work.

So basically i want to cut up a big picture into separate smaller pictures quickly, any ideas?

There's no automatic way to do that with Paint.NET, sorry.  It might be able to be done with a filetype plugin.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I have a few large pngs that i want to cut up into 192x192 pixel boxes and save all separately. Is there anyway to do this automatically? I could crop each block but that seems like a lot of work.

So basically i want to cut up a big picture into separate smaller pictures quickly, any ideas?

Maybe. Does it matter if you lose a couple of pixels between every one? You will need to do some math. You can make a new layer and render gridlines after computing what you need. Select the black grid with wand and leave it selected. On the layers panel select the layer with your image and then delete the grid outline. You will see the grid selection on top of your image if you uncheck the top layer. Depending on the width of the lines you will not lose much. Then, you can select each image with rectangle select tool.

Edited by Visual

Nice thinking Visual!

If you used alternating colored squares (rather than grid lines) you could eliminate the borders (think: Grid Maker Plugin with the checkerboard option. 

It's still going to be a long process.  The steps might be...

1. Render the checkerboard on a layer above the original.  Size 192x192.

2. Lower the opacity a bit.

3. Magic wand the upper left square in the checkerboard layer.

4. Switch to the image layer, press Ctrl + C then Ctrl + Alt + V to paste to a new image.

5. Switch back to checker layer

6. Select next square.

7. Repeat from 4 as many times as needed.

Building on that, I wonder if the Shatters plugin could be used to displace the groups of pixels?

You may try this one

Needs it's own thread in the Plugin section!

Can you imagine a proper filetype plugin that outputs a zip file containing multiple png files? That would blow my mind.

Here you go: Image Tiling FileType

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 2 weeks later...

Not to take anything away from null54's filetype plugin, but Martin Osieka has created a similar plugin which may also appeal.  It works as a tool (i.e. a regular Effect) and not as a filetype.  Find it here: Chop Up and Save