Sign in to follow this  
HELEN

Get Off My LAN: A Wi-Fi / Wireless Internet Discussion

Like everything you can only speak as you find.  Fabled or not 

I maintain BT HomeHub is excellent with the added bonus of brilliant free roaming wi-fi coverage

My ISP gave me a Dynalink.  I suppose they're trash too? :(

I haven't personally used a Dynalink, but the Internet seems to me generally positive about them.  Maybe it really is just ISPs in the USA...

@David: Here's the issue at my house. We have a large family and most of us have our own laptops and one desktop computer for printing. So that's eight computers connected to one router. Sometimes, the Internet works well and some days it just lags and shuts off in the middle. We have a wireless connection, by the way. I know that it shouldn't really matter how many people are connected to one router, but sometimes I'm not so sure. 

Anything to speed up the Internet? 

Hi, Helen

They have monitoring programs to look if someone is on your wifi. I would suggest that you find one. That may not be your problem, but it may be.

Expanding the range will not help. I would suggest a wirelss N router. Many have 3 antennas on them. Try to reduce the range though. Remove two of them. It doesn't help to expand your range a half mile, if you use it inside of your home, It only makes it viewable to others. The N router will give you the bandwidth that you need. Make sure to use a large key and not.. helen or fido.

Try to use 186DrhnFrew<_  along those lines. Symbols, spaces, caps and small caps in the cypher.

Edited by Visual
  • Upvote 1

We have Netgear (from the ISP) & it thankfully works ok. 

If it is like most other things, they will come out of the same factory (or the components at least). I suspect that it is a bit more complicated & much more political than we think,

In Aus, we have preferred ISPs but the lines are generally owned by one company that holds the rest over a barrel (mostly to do with the D slammers - whatever they are) & are then able to sell these off to one or two companies while the rest either have to pay a premium price for them or not use them & therefore have slower speeds. The one that holds the lines is the biggest but definitely not the best by a long chalk. Second biggest is likewise extremely poor in customer service skills & transparency. The send out equipment that you did not ask for, don't want, don't use & when you try to return it they will charge you for that too. Reference to the ACCC & telecommunications ombudsman over a few phone calls sets them straight in the end BUT what about people like older folk or whose English skills (or otherwise) are not as good? 

There are good, bad & very ugly in most things. USA has unheard of speeds, as do a few other places. Price is fabulous in others - Welshy we pay almost that just in Goods & Services Tax!

We have Netgear (from the ISP) & it thankfully works ok. 

If it is like most other things, they will come out of the same factory (or the components at least). I suspect that it is a bit more complicated & much more political than we think,

In Aus, we have preferred ISPs but the lines are generally owned by one company that holds the rest over a barrel (mostly to do with the D slammers - whatever they are) & are then able to sell these off to one or two companies while the rest either have to pay a premium price for them or not use them & therefore have slower speeds. The one that holds the lines is the biggest but definitely not the best by a long chalk. Second biggest is likewise extremely poor in customer service skills & transparency. The send out equipment that you did not ask for, don't want, don't use & when you try to return it they will charge you for that too. Reference to the ACCC & telecommunications ombudsman over a few phone calls sets them straight in the end BUT what about people like older folk or whose English skills (or otherwise) are not as good? 

There are good, bad & very ugly in most things. USA has unheard of speeds, as do a few other places. Price is fabulous in others - Welshy we pay almost that just in Goods & Services Tax!

The problem is that the big corps have a general monopoly. They divide the areas up and charge what they want. Many believe they can walk to another store and get a better price, but those, and others, are really owned by the same parent company, or are really govt protected agents. Sorry, not paranoid. Boo!

@Visual: We're suspecting someone's connected to our wifi. I have to figure out what's happening and tell my oldest brother to fix it. It's quite annoying.

@Helen

Try this free for 30 days 

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/LanSecure-Security-Center-Lite/1141438988/1

There are some freewares out there also. Just search for wifi intrusion or wifi detection and see what comes up. Good luck.

You really need to change your access pin on a monthly/weekly basis until you annoy the hacker and they go away. It's annoying for you, but it works.

Edited by Visual