taking off white "cut like" borders around an image

i have a picture of a man that i deleted its background using the magic wand.

i chose the background with the best tolerance that i can and push "delete" button.

this deleted the background.

but when i put that man on another dark background, i can see a very thin white line around the man,

like it was "cut" from another image (which is true...)

how do i get rid of this white line around him?

i tried to focus and delete it manually but it is an endless work.

i attached the image, do you see the white stripe around the man?

post-86621-0-93802400-1379518071_thumb.p

Edited by rodnikosh

What you're trying to accomplish is called a render. It looks like you got rid of the majority of the background, but you still have small bits of the background around the render. I found that the Feather plugin works well for taking care of that problem.

You can download the Feather plugin from BoltBait's plugin pack. You will have to close Paint.NET if you have it open while the plugin is installed.

Good luck.

Edited by DarkShock
  • Upvote 1

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

In Adobe Photoshop, I think I recall there being something like a smudge tool that made that easier.

A feather plugin will do about the same thing (I think).

Also, when deleting backgrounds, you might try adding a second layer below your edit and fill it with a dark color, that way you can see such things as you erase. Also, you might turn anti-aliasing OFF for the eraser (it won't blend).

I'd suggest pencil "painting" with a custom color with the Alpha set to 0 (full transparency) and Zoomed in a bunch, but that doesn't seem to work. AND, if you have that set to a primary color, the eraser stops functioning. :unimpressed:

"....brings out the duty in my soul" -Spinal Tap

I'd suggest pencil "painting" with a custom color with the Alpha set to 0 (full transparency) and Zoomed in a bunch, but that doesn't seem to work. AND, if you have that set to a primary color, the eraser stops functioning. :unimpressed:

To make the pencil tool work the way you're suggesting, you have to set blending to "overwrite" in the options bar at the top (where you set your font sizes and stuff).

The eraser is like a reverse paintbrush. Lowering the opacity of your color reduces the effect of your eraser. For example, If you set the color transparency to something small, it will act almost like a soft eraser in Photoshop.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

AA's Assistant is another feathering option you can use on objects.

• Upvote 1

I use a combination of Feather followed by AA Assistant. Generally works well if you don't want to so the Alpha Mask thing :D

The eraser is like a reverse paintbrush. Lowering the opacity of your color reduces the effect of your eraser. For example, If you set the color transparency to something small, it will act almost like a soft eraser in Photoshop.

Great tip!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I found a "neat" way today. Just use a color that isn't in the (whatever picture) then zoom in and click/draw on the pixels that look bad around the edges, then use OtherFarmColorReplacer to change the color into a transparency.

Probably not suitable for photos however. That AA Assistant looks pretty neat.

Didn't know about that opacity thing either. Have to try that to do a anti-aliasing effect on my crappy icons. I was getting pretty angry trying that with the "regular" eraser as 1 click too long and it would blow away the edge of my icon. Funny how I find out things as soon as i've found another way to do them.

Edited by doverdemon77

"....brings out the duty in my soul" -Spinal Tap

What you're trying to accomplish is called a render.

Actually, it's not.  What they're trying to accomplish is called an extraction.  It's often used on renders, but renders specifically refer to video game elements that are rendered (hence the name) and then extracted from the background.  This is a photo, and the OP wants to extract an element from it.

"The more you know..."  :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Yes, if you have the resize mode set to anything but "nearest neighbor."

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

thank you all so much for your tips :)

the "Feather" effect doesn't work but the "Old Feather" effect does just what i needed ,

thank you DarkShock!!!

I forgot to mention that. The Old Feather tends to work better for me as well. Glad it worked out for you.

Welcome to the forum.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y