Transparency help

Hi, I'm trying to piece together an image composed of multiple parts, and I feel like I can save a lot of time on the piecing together process than what I'm doing now.

The parts have transparency, and are on a transparent background, but when I try to overlap them to complete the image, the transparency acts as a color, and covers parts of the image. (see image below)

example-2.png

Putting the various pieces on multiple layers has been working for the time being, but it has become very time consuming.

Is there a feature that works similar to microsoft paint's transparent selection, where the secondary color (or in this case, a transparent background) is actually transparent?

I feel like I'm missing something blatantly obvious...

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

^ That's pretty much the easiest method right there. It's really not that difficult.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

when I try to overlap them to complete the image, the transparency acts as a color,

You've made a rectangular selection including some transparent areas.  When you move the selection, the transparent bits are being moved too.

Use layers.  One element to each layer.  That's absolutely the correct way to do it.

Activate the upper layer by clicking on it in the Layers Window. Then you should be able to merge.

The reason Merge Layer Down is not enabled is that you have the lowest layer active and there is nothing below it to merge it into.